1600cc vw engine in my kellison gt question!

Im buying a kellison gt40 in a few weeks, comes with a 1600cc and a 3speed trans. can i get some opinions on this? Im not looking for something FAST, just something that I can cruise around and rev up here and there. I would put a 302 and 915 in it but I dont have the funds to throw those bad boys in. Any one have pics or videos of theirs?:stunned:

Are you sure it is a 3-speed? I thought all VW trans were 4-speed. Unless you want to do a different chassis I would just do a good 1800 or so VW engine and have fun.

As Mike is suggesting, that 1600cc motor can be stroked to almost 2200cc with a basic kit. And, with good ignition and dual weber 40s she can easily hit 150-160 usable hp (good torque), maybe 170. There are even turbo charging systems available for that engine using a pressurized weber that can exceed 200hp. Parts are cheap and the car is a whole lot lighter with that and a simple VW/porsche 914 transaxle. Perhaps check out one of the VW forums - lots of smart guys there with good ideas.

I was once building a Kellison with a 455 Olds Toronado engine and transaxle in the rear. It's a neat package and the big Olds with the 3 speed automatic transaxle is relatively cheap and powerful! ( can be gotten at any local junk yard for peanuts - you'll probably have to have the engine rebuilt but still a cheap combo.

The package is big and heavy and you'd need to find an adapter package!

John

:thumbsup:

Darnel A.

Supporter
Ditch the VW powertrain. Use a Yamaha R1 Bike Engine, you will have you 150 hp, be much lighter, and have a 6 speed sequential trans to boot! (this is the powertrain in my racecar). You can buy these for about $500.

Darnel

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Subie JDM engines are cheap on ebay and as you all have read about my Vanagon conversion I love it, you can buy an adapter bell housing from www.smallcar.com and it comes with internal hydraulic release bearing for $590, I got my twin turbo motor on ebay for $960 plus $160 to ship it and it one Billy bad ass motor. It does weigh more and larger in size but if you have the room I suggest it. Here is before and after pictures, so you can get an idea of size.

Attachments

• DSCN3678.jpg
    DSCN3678.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN3735.jpg
    DSCN3735.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 378
It should with a stock NA engine. Kennedy makes the adapter for it.
Better to use a kit from off-roaders and the subie gearbox in mid-engine configuration.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jim so far with 7 lbs of boost it has, but with 14 it took out the CV joints the second time I took it out. I hope it holds up thats why I dropped the boost, the input shaft on the VW transaxle is a little on the skinny side. I just drove it 2300 miles without any problems so if I continue to be kind to it, it should last.

Jack is right the NA motor will be plenty for a light car, my Vanagon is pretty heavy, I think 4200-4400 lbs.

Oh I have a 5 speed transaxle for the subie if anyone needs one, its good shape but it would be impossible to flip the ring and pinion in it or I would have used it. As Jack said it would be perfect for mid engine car. Its the all wheel drive model but all you have to do is pin the rear output and it would work great.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Mat, I think you should buy it and enjoy it for a year or two. I assume you know what they are worth and are getting it at a fair price so have fun with your first "GT"

I wouldn't however, put any more money into it than you can reasonably expect to get back when you sell it in a few years. Be careful with this. You don't what to end up with $15K into a car that's worth $4-5k.

I don't know the market for these so look around and figure it out before you leap. If you wanted to tell us the price I am sure you could get some valuable advice on this forum. Pictures would help a lot.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ditch the VW powertrain. Use a Yamaha R1 Bike Engine, you will have you 150 hp, be much lighter, and have a 6 speed sequential trans to boot! (this is the powertrain in my racecar). You can buy these for about $500.

Darnel

kind of hard to back up though.... :shocked:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The best outfit for VW performance parts used to be CB Performance in California (where else?) They built a 2300? engine for my Beck Spyder that was amazing- 180hp on premium fuel, the car was vividly fast. It came with a four-spider diff with Rhino side plates and was based on a Panzerwagon case with their barrels and heads. They have a lot of stuff for VW engines, so does EMPI, if they are still around. There is a lot of information on tuning VW engines especially with Dellortos and Webers.

Darnel A.

Supporter
kind of hard to back up though.... :shocked:

Use a Starter Motor on a pivot and a V-drive Belt with the Pulley on the halfshaft -Google 'Bike Engined Cars' there is a lot of info on the Web. (Bike Engined Lotus 7 clones is popular).

Darnel

hey guys thanks for the advice, sorry i havent been on this for a few days i have been trying to work out a deal with the kellison:huh:...I would like to put a v8 in it but then again I cant find a good price on anything that i can afford. I have all winter to think about what i should put in there. the body on the car is really bad, uneven cuts, random holes and rusted hindges. Focusing on getting the body back to shape is my first priority, after that i have to work on the floor boards which are rusted beyond belief...I'm having trouble upload the pictures but i will get on that asap!!

Darnel

do you have any pictures of that setup??? sounds sweet:thumbsup:

Darnel A.

Supporter
I am in the Detroit area. You are more than welcome to come by and check it out. Just PM for directions.

Darnel

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 300
Back