Went down to Olthof for fitting of seat, steering pedals etc. Car is bout 2 weeks for completion. Motor sounded epic on startup.

Attachments

• Gt40 build 2.jpg
    Gt40 build 2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 540
  • gt40 build.jpg
    gt40 build.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 494

Steve

Supporter
Sean, it is absolutely against the rules of this forum to discuss an epic sound without posting a clip:thumbsup:

Steve if you can belive we went into the shop, and before I knew it and thought to pull out a camera we did the startup.

It was wicked, lumpy idle, and really quick response up and down, I guess its the lighweigtht internals.

Then it was fitting seat, adjusting pedals, choosing aseerign wheel with the correct dish for my arms. Like a tailored suit.

Hopefully in 2-3 weeks will have the car. Will be running mufflers though, and will put the megs back on when I take it to The Glenn in July.

Sean,

I thought I would do the same, mufflers on the street and megaphones on the track. The sound is too good with the megaphones and I have ditched the mufflers. It's not a daily driver and the response you will get with the megaphones will probably change your mind too.
During one trip down the highway, I was pulled over by the CHP. My first thought was because of noise. When the police officer came to my door, he asked for a picture of the GT40, as he had never seen one in person. He then asked me to merge back on to the freeway under hard acceleration so he could video the sound on his phone. I thought what the heck and obliged and saw a big smile on his face as I left two black marks in front of him. I backed off at 80 mph and never saw him again, I'll never forget it.
I know you have put a lot of thought in your build, enjoy it!

Mike

Sean,

I thought I would do the same, mufflers on the street and megaphones on the track. The sound is too good with the megaphones and I have ditched the mufflers. It's not a daily driver and the response you will get with the megaphones will probably change your mind too.
During one trip down the highway, I was pulled over by the CHP. My first thought was because of noise. When the police officer came to my door, he asked for a picture of the GT40, as he had never seen one in person. He then asked me to merge back on to the freeway under hard acceleration so he could video the sound on his phone. I thought what the heck and obliged and saw a big smile on his face as I left two black marks in front of him. I backed off at 80 mph and never saw him again, I'll never forget it.
I know you have put a lot of thought in your build, enjoy it!

Mike

100% agreed. Leave the megaphones on. I bought a pair a couple years back and never took them off again. Cookies from the wife and joyrides every so often seems to keep the neighbors content....

Funny I was thinking mufflers for the track, because you know they get edgy with too much noise. Maybe I will leave the megs on till there are compliants.
Agreed the megs sound is epic.

Will find our about the flywheel and clutch. I know Dennis provided the flywheel with was a light aluminun race one, and then I think we used the regular street clutch.

Sean,

You car is looking great!

Would you be so kind as to share more information about your megaphones? Did you have them fabbed up, or were they available from a supplier? Approximate cost would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jeff

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If anyone is interested I am selling the megaphones off 2161. They are nice and come with the collectors as well.

I also have a second set from Olthoff for sale as well.

Sean,

You car is looking great!

Would you be so kind as to share more information about your megaphones? Did you have them fabbed up, or were they available from a supplier? Approximate cost would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jeff

Mine come from Olthoff. Couple of hundred if I remembr correctly, easy to swap back and forth with mufflers.

Hi Jeff,

Alan Petersen (now of Pathfinder Motorsports) had a beautiful set of SS megaphones built for my SPF GT40 Mk1. The exits are of significantly larger diameter than my SPF megaphones, and in my opinion they look a lot better. As in more brutish and powerful looking.

The Pathfinder website has some albums that contain photos of these large megaphones (see blue chassis #GT40P/2192). I'm just offering up another megaphone alternative you might want to consider for your car.

Jack

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Sean, sorry about the thread drift.

I will get an ad posted out tonight with the two sets of megaphones I have for sale. Sorry for the slow responses to all the PMs.

Ok its done, spent the day at the track yesterday.
More grip than the lotus elise, more sensitive because no nannies lots of Hp, heavier steering yet needs a more gentle hand, surprisingly unlimited brakes, they never got hot and could bleed off speed with impunity which tells me there is lots more pushing thta can be done, and with no aero that slight ice skatey feeling above 150 when hitting the kink on the straight at monticello, probably need to add some compression to the front end and learn to trust it more. By contrast the lotus is just at 120 same point.

I was able to run the same times as my lotus, so need to learn the shifting better and how to carry speed through the corners better because its clearly not loosing speed on the straights. Basically learnign to balance the power with grip on bends, currently over charging into bends then braking too much.
On the lotus one tends to brake as little and as late as possible, and try to carry as much speed as possible through he bends. Here you are just going 30 mph faster by the bend and don't need to worry about carrying speed so much because it can be added anywhere, trail brakign wont make it happy, and its easy to break the rear loose because of the power.

In short going from kinder garden to university in one shot.

Also been keeping he revs below 5800 to run it in a bit, power peak is at 7200 and already between 4800 and 580 it feels like perhaps we overdid things on the power levels.

So runnign a 2.45 at monticelo, and for sure if one knew what one was doing there is at least another 15 secs to loose, braking later, more speed through bends and uncorking the rest of the power.

Car ran fine for most of the day, till the clutch master cylinder gave up the ghost.

Attachments

• gt40 2306.jpg
    gt40 2306.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 391
Jeffrey,
What type of Hoosier tire are you running and are they 15's? I have borrowed a set of 17's from a good friend, thanks Tim, and ran the Nitto 01's and was real happy. I am taking the the car to Laguna Seca next month for two days of "fun" and was going to buy the same tire but I am open to a better tire if possible.
Your car looks great and it's good to see you finally got it on the track.
Mike

The hoosiers are the track slicks, problem is they are only 25.5 in diameter which makes the gearing short.Dennis tells me that hoosier is coming up with a 16.5 slick and there is already a 17.

Will look up the pads, but its a willwood track pad.

The biggest problem I am having is witht he gears, dont know if there is a prblem with my transaxle, but on a down shift second is literaly impossible to engage unless its been through 3rd. Reverse is impossible to engage unless it has gone forwards foot or so in 1st. Is this normal?

Back