351w flywheel...?

Hi all,

I bought a 351w rebuilt which as yet, has no flywheel fittted, which one do I go for..?

The guy I bought it from has since past on so I have no idea and no way of finding out what he had planned to install.

It's 10.5 comp with a street roller cam and thats about all I know..

Do I have to strip it down and have all the rotating assembly balanced...?

Plan to run a 930 transaxle.

Thanks in advance,

Dave..

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
If you're going with a 930 or G50 Porsche trans --then you'll need a kit like this -- the flywheel is premachined for a 50 oz imbalance and will need to be final balanced with the engine

Attachments

• Picture 182.jpg
    Picture 182.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 302
Thanks Chris for your super fast reply, I'm planning on using a Ford bellhousing to mate to the transaxle.. Regards Dave..

351w WILL be 28oz factor unless someone has been silly enough to have it completely done to the 50oz which would require a new damper & a lot of drilling on the crank. Only later 302w 8.2" SBF's are 50oz from factory, plus the oddball 255ci.

So, do you need to strip it down & rebalance? if its still got factory rods & pistons, probably not, but if its got aftermarket performance stuff then I would suggest you do. you only have to pull the pan to check that.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Ditto on the balancing at 28 oz. I'm all for the balance of the rotating assembly. I had a stroker 351W (383) that was ballanced and solidly mounted to the chassis. Vibration through the frame was not objectionable, and not even noticable if not for the image in the rear-view mirror.

Ditto on the balancing at 28 oz. I'm all for the balance of the rotating assembly. I had a stroker 351W (383) that was ballanced and solidly mounted to the chassis. Vibration through the frame was not objectionable, and not even noticable if not for the image in the rear-view mirror.

That was not the mirror vibrating Terry, just the Chevvy you had passed shaking in its boots.:)

Dave,
Check with Renegade Hybrids
Conversion Components
or Kennedy Engineering.
Engine Adapters
They can supply everything you will need. I went with Kennedy. They sent me a 28 oz. flywheel and exchanged it free when told I had an internally balanced unit.
To balance internally you will need someone who knows what they are doing. It isn't cheap.
Why are you looking to use the Ford belhousing?? Unless your trans has the front mounting cut off you don't need it. The one inch adapter(or however thick it is) from Kennedy is all you need. You will however need to change the bearing in the crank to fit the 930. It may come from Kennedy as well. It has been a long time since I got mine.

Bill

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
For the Windsor --Neutral, 28oz or 50oz -- customer to specify, as you're only allowed to have one per motor ---in these tough economic times :shifty:

Back