4.6/3.4 Quad Cam Engines

Anyone know who does any tricks with these engines? as it is what we must use I believe from Jan 1, 2008 in Australia.

Just for a different direction... given that plenty of Audi transaxles are used, why do people not use some the 4 ltr quad cam V8 Audi engine gearbox set ups complete. It would save a lot of specalist machining and mean the bits were available of the shelf.
Cheers

Hi Maily,
Good luck with the 5.4, although Dimi, who is building a DRB GT40, could have the 5.4 sorted.

The best bet is a Holden L76 engine ally block and a 1/3 the size and 1/3 the weight of the 5.4.

I don't believe you can use a 4.6 in NSW due to the fact it is not fitted in an Aust car and would have to have it tested.

That is in NSW, you have to use an engine that was used in a Aust car no more than 3 year from the last production/new sale of the car.

Good luck,
Neil

One of our customers has a 5.4 running in an RF40 no problems.

The 4.6, although difficult to find, is a valid engine IF you have compliance certification for that engine in your car (which we do in the RF) using a specific recipe of parts which were exactly as it ran the compliance test.

5.4 is also valid as, by comarative assesment with a local Falcon, you can demonstrate compliance if you use a factory management OR certify using an alternative. We have chosen the factory system route this time around (old RF used after market on 4.6) and credit where credit is due, the guys building the car have done a great job using the std parts and some smarts.

Both engines also fit in with no chassis mods, from a marketing perspective we have chosen to continue with Ford Power. Yes, I wish they did a compact alloy 6 liter too !

Regards Paul

Just wondering how heavy the LS# (chev) motors are. I keep hearing how light they are. One of the lightest V8's would have to be the 1Uz (toyota), good motor, but not a Ford. I have a 2001 Mustang Cobra 4.6 and that weighs in at 218kg with everything including AC and alloy sump, but no oil.

Back