5.4lt DOHC

Is it true that the GT40 Australia can now be fitted with a 5.4lt DOHC engine from a BA falcon. Please tell me its true /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Pete
Doesn't the 5.4ltr quad cam Falcon GT Boss engine out-perform the Boss Mustang engine? 290kw vs 260kw I think is the difference. Size wise they are identical but I don't know what the comparative cost differences are.

Bill

5.4lt boss can definitely be fitted. Yep, the same one used in the BA Falcon etc.

It's a very heavy lump of an engine though with it's cast iron block. Much, much heavier than alloy 4.6lt engine. 4.6lt is a much better looking engine out of the box as well.

My recommendation would be to stick with 4.6lt, if you want more poke, then go with Supercharged version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The 5.4lt is larger and heavier, so it is not as straightforward an improvement as you would have expected.

But at least you have the option and a few people seem to prefer the larger 5.4lt Boss engine. Supercharged you would have a very similiar engine to the Ford GT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As I understand it, at the moment, for an ICV to be street legal in the state of New South Wales, it is the Only 'weapon of choice' from within the fine family of ford engines.
- of course the RTA could change its mind, without notice, at any time ...

Peter R. has modified the DRB chassis to accept this engine.

les
drb chassis #63

I have a 1968 documented car that will make the possibility of a windsor possible. NO ADRs I want to build a faster plane.

From my understanding the 5.4 engine is just to big to fit into a gt40 without serious modification to the rear clip for height and width is also an issue. The heads on the 5.4 are massive things. The 5.4 engine is much higher and wider than the 4.6
As I understand things that was the reason Roaring Forties went with the 4.6 not the 5.4

4.6L Quad Cam Supercharged engine

I remember reading about DRB44 (see link) in April last year

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15694

and DRb were saying they were going to put a Supercharged version of the 4.6L engine into some of their cars. I was just wondering if anybody knew of any cars that had this engine and if so, how it was performing?

If I recall correctly Bruce Whittakers awesome looking car was a regular 4.6L Quad Cam. This was the last one I heard about from DRB.

If anybody has one of the suped ones I would love to hear about it and maybe see some pics.

Regards

Jack

I did some research on this & if im wrong I have egg on my face.
From memory the 5.4 BA is cast iron block & diamensionally is big.

The 5.4 quad cam looks similar to the 4.6 & dimensionally is only about a couple off inches here & there.
It is also an alloy block.
If this is not correct I will personally spank myself.
(Ron the spank the donkey icon is gone, im disapointed)

Jim

Good link Jim - although looks like an alloy 5.4 DOHC is going to be harder to find than an honest politician.

Cheers
Greg

hey, i don't mean to but in on your thread but the only difference between a 4.6 & 5.4 is the stroke. change cranks and you have a 5.4. i am planning to install a 4.6 into a rcr gt40. although what fran has told me is that it is just too big for the car. so i'll switch to a lexus dohc. anyway check out this web site: answers.com/topic/ford-modular-engines.com or sean hyland's website. lots of stuff available for the 4.6 or ...
wes

Ron Earp

Admin
Jim et. al,

That is some good info on the mod motors, I think I might have posted similar or the same some time ago. The rod situation with the motors isn't as dire as the web page might sound. The Ford Lightning and Cobra (Mustang Cobra, 03-up, US based) communities have emperically determined through lots of destructive testing with the supercharged motors in these cars what the limit of hp is. For these blown motors people feel pretty safe running them at the 450 rwhp and 550 rwtq levels - that is over 500 crank hp and over 600 crank torque depending on what you consider the driveline loss to be (let's not start that debate).

In fact if you go to boards like www.svtperformance.com and kick around you'll find that to be almost universally true. What is also almost universally true is you'll not make anywhere near 450 rwhp or 550 rwtq on these motors without a blower, so, if you are naturally aspirated you'd be fine using the motors as is.

The cranks and bottom ends are fantastic - there are hoards of them stock supporting over 600 rwhp and many at the 800 rwhp level. Lots of 10sec Lightning trucks with stock bottom ends and even faster Cobras - and that is a lot of abuse since the trucks are over 4000lbs and the Cobras in the 3XXX range. In a light car I doubt you could break them.

Problem is the motors are so large and make relative little power for their size. Lincoln Naviagtors have the 5.4L DOHC motor and are not uncommon in the US.

Ron

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
rwhp = Rear Wheel Dynojet hp
rwtq = Rear Wheel Dynojet Torque

Rear wheel numbers are always less than flywheel numbers.

Does that help?

Engine talk

Hi Ron my cluelessness stems not from your clarity but my, er, cluelessness. The technical aspect of GT40's, and cars in general is pretty limited. I try and read everything I can and am learning a lot. Yet another great aspect of this forum is the amazing breadth of knowledge its members have and their terrific capacity to share it. I am lvoing it.

Cheers though

Jack

Back