50 most beautiful cars

EVO magazine came out with their 50th issue this month. Part of the issue went through what they consider to be the 50 most beautiful cars ever produced. I don't have the issue, but the GT40 came in 9th. The Muira was 1st and the XKE 2nd.

Hmmm, I rate the 40 above the XKE, but not the Muira.
That is one very smooth Lambo.
smile.gif

Agreed on the beauty of the Muira, but its chassis was of the Flexi-Flyer type. Nice to know that those who are more objective than we still rank the GT40 as one of the ten most beautiful cars in the history of the world.
smile.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I realize this is a matter of taste, and not one of actual fact...but, having seen the Miura side by side with a GT40, frankly there is no comparison. The GT40 is a much better design. The Miura is a neat car, and if I wasn't buying a GT40 I would perhaps have gotten one, but as far as looks go, the GT40 has it over the Miura, in spades. What was FIRST on the list? I am very curious indeed.

The Miura roadster, of which there was only one produced, was the only one that comes close to a GT40. A convertible, a little over 2000lbs, with an alloy V-12! That sounds like fun to me!
I believe that this car is for sale in Japan, for some astronomical price! Somewhere around $1,000,000!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Hey Bob Putnam, I'm casting a mould off a Lotus Elite right now
... future kit project.
I missed by $600. on a sealed bid auction for a Miura in 1977. I bid $ 2000.00. I knew then what it was going to be worth in the future.
Most beautiful cars to me; GT40,Lola T70,917,250LM,& P4. all in 1st place !
wink.gif

This is another of my favorites. It made the top 50, but I think they placed it somewhere in the 20s or 30s. The Alfa Romeo Stradale...

75033AlfaLtQDrBy3FdLr-t4.jpg

75033AlfaRtSide2Lr8.jpg

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Jon ]

Well, I concur that the Miura is somewhere
in the top 10. But, I've also had a soft place
in my heart for the following:

GT40 Mk1B (of course!)
Shelby Cobra
DeTomaso Mangusta (with the fixed headlights)
Dino (note - it was never a Ferrari Dino, if
you ever see one with Ferrari badges, the
badges were added aftermarket!)
1963 Corvette Split Window
1968-1972 Corvette Roadster
Lotus Esprit Turbo (and not the last ones,
those wings were too damn ugly, I liked from
the 80's to the first s4's in early 90's)

I'm sure I can think of more, but these are cars
I would love to take for a spin some day.

Ian

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Ian K ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ok,as long as we're 'voting', here are osme others...
Cord 810-812
Ferrari 250 Lusso
Ferrari Boxer, especially the 365 which is cleaner looking than the 512, and has SIX tailpipes
Talbot-Lagos with the Figoni-Falaschi bodies
Jaguar E-type Series I

Fun topic. My put: I concur regarding the GT40 Mk1, Elite, and Tipo 33 Stradale. I'd also submit for approval the low-drag E-type, and the Ginetta G.4 coupe.

Scott

I might as well throw my choices out there. Mind you now, these are strickley based on design.

My Classics choices

1. GT40 Mark IB
2. Porsche 904
3. Jaguar XK 120
5. Lotus europa
6. 1958 Corvette
7. Alfa Romeo Stadale
8. Shelby Cobra FIA 289
9. 1953 Osca MT4 Roadster
10. Saab Sonnet V4

My more modern choices

1. McLaren GTR
2. Jaguar XJ220
3. Ford GT
4. Astin Martin Vanquish
5. Porsche 959
6. Acura NSX
7. saleen S7
8. Dodge Viper Coupe
9. Lotus Elise
10.Bugatti Veyron

Hersh
smile.gif

hey guys, this is my first post. I love the gt40, and I now love the stradale you guys are talking about. But i gotta say, some of those other cars may be classics, but not all of them are good looking. I just wanted to ask you if the new ferrari enzo made it? did the pagani zonda? what about the gillet vertigo? that last one is my favorite front engined car, ever.
smile.gif
-raika

I got another look at the issue. Other cars in the top 10:
3. Ferrari 300 P4
4. Lamborghini Murcielago
5. Corvette (2nd gen) split window coupe
6. Lamborghini Countach
Ferrari 288 GT0 was either 7 or 8

Some of my favroite cars are the Formula 1 race-cars of the 60's, and being that I'm Australian, I find it hard to go past the Brabham BT19. This is the race car that Sir Jack Brabham both designed, and drove to his last Formula 1 championship.

So when I heard that this car was on display at the Motorsport Show here in Melbourne, nothing was going to stop me getting another look at it.

As luck would have it, Sir Jack was there in person as well. Life is good
grin.gif

BT19%20-%20D.JPG

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Chris L ]

I love the GT-40 and hope to have one, but would not vote for it as the most bueatiful.
Some of my favorites in no particular order.
Hipano-Suisa Bogalone Tulip Wood roadster
1953 Raymond Lowe designed Studebaker Coupe
Dan Gurney's 12 Cyl. F1 EAGLE
Corvette Sebring
1935 Auburn boat tail speedster
just about any Bugatti race car
Cobra Daytona Coupe

VIC

smile.gif

Back