7.3 Godzilla in an RCR Gt40 MKII?

Hey all, this is my first post here on gt40s.com and I am looking to have an RCR Gt40 MKII built for me with a 7.3 Godzilla. My reasoning for wanting the Godzilla over a Windsor block 427 is that I want a more modern engine with better reliability than a Windsor with modern 8 stack fuel injection and a dry sump oiling system. I also want something other than a coyote. I plan on doing a lot of heavy track days with this car and also potentially racing it. An engine like this was what I had in mind with maybe less power for reliability: https://www.willisengines.com/dyno-results-ndash-stage-3-ultra-street.html . Does the Godzilla sound like a good choice or does it just sound good on paper?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"Does the Godzilla sound like a good choice or does it just sound good on paper?"

If you haven't done so already, 'might wanna break out a ruler and put it to good use before you fill out the order form for a Godzilla. ;-) There's not much wiggle room in a MKII's engine compartment (even less in a MKI)!
Just sayin'...

Rob Klein

Supporter
I would do a all aluminum 351 race motor. You should be able to het 650hp and that will be plenty. I have a all aluminum 351 punched to a 427 and even with 15” rears putting the power down has to be thoughtful

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like an exciting project.
I’ve only built 1 car with over a thousand HP and even though the car with me in it weighed 3,000#, It was a beast and without racing slicks there was no way to put even half of the power to the ground. Yes it was cool - but simply over the top and could be a real handful to control.
The 7.3 is a great motor and a real stump puller, but I think I’d look to something that produces a more street friendly torque curve rather than 500+ LB FT just over idle speed…

edit - The street tires were DOT Drag Tires that had a section width of 18”..

Thanks for everyone's input. I do still think the Godzilla will work and with the dimensions of 28.74x27x29 inches it should fit just fine if not a little snug. In terms of horsepower I think shooting around 600-700 would be more than enough for the car because recently I did the GT40 Lemans one day experience with David Zubick of Racing Adventures and found that the 550 horsepower engine could really make that car fly! Also I do just really like the idea of putting a Godzilla in the car because back when ford was using the 427 it was originally out of the Galaxie and I would like to apply that same principle with fords more modern engine from the super duty series.

"I’ve only built 1 car with over a thousand HP and even though the car with me in it weighed 3,000#, It was a beast and without racing slicks there was no way to put even half of the power to the ground. "

This makes me feel alot better about not getting too overcomplicated/overpowering my GT40 build.

Neil

Supporter
Thanks for everyone's input. I do still think the Godzilla will work and with the dimensions of 28.74x27x29 inches it should fit just fine if not a little snug. In terms of horsepower I think shooting around 600-700 would be more than enough for the car because recently I did the GT40 Lemans one day experience with David Zubick of Racing Adventures and found that the 550 horsepower engine could really make that car fly! Also I do just really like the idea of putting a Godzilla in the car because back when ford was using the 427 it was originally out of the Galaxie and I would like to apply that same principle with fords more modern engine from the super duty series.
Back in that day, Ford was putting a '60s engine in a '60s car. You want to put a modern engine in a '60s car????

Howard Jones

Supporter
Heres is some idea of the quality ($$$) of the other parts you will need:

None of these are the parts you will need but they serve to illustrate the range of the costs involved in a 1000 hp power train. Remember that when (NOT IF) you break things they cost this much to replace. I don't think you can do a complete power train for less than the cost of the rest of the car. my guess is you will need to spend $70.000 to get it reliable and suitable for that much power. AT LEAST! Oh, and there is NO WAY that ANY production transaxle and associated components will live at 1000hp using a tire capable of providing sufficient grip levels.

AND if you don't want to hook up that 1000hp then why have it! Start with the tire you intend to use and build the power train to make as much torque that the tires will live with other wise it's a bench racer, trailer queen death trap.

I think you would be better served to buy a real racecar

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Heres is some idea of the quality ($$$) of the other parts you will need:

None of these are the parts you will need but they serve to illustrate the range of the costs involved in a 1000 hp power train. Remember that when (NOT IF) you break things they cost this much to replace. I don't think you can do a complete power train for less than the cost of the rest of the car. my guess is you will need to spend $70.000 to get it reliable and suitable for that much power. AT LEAST! Oh, and there is NO WAY that ANY production transaxle and associated components will live at 1000hp using a tire capable of providing sufficient grip levels.

AND if you don't want to hook up that 1000hp then why have it! Start with the tire you intend to use and build the power train to make as much torque that the tires will live with other wise it's a bench racer, trailer queen death trap.

I think you would be better served to buy a real racecar

Carroll Shelby somehow ought to have found a way to shoehorn those factoids into his famous quote "There is never enough horsepower......just not enough traction." 'Could have saved more than one gear head many bucks... ;-)

Back in that day, Ford was putting a '60s engine in a '60s car. You want to put a modern engine in a '60s car????
I'm also interested in this set-up purely for the raw experience of this motor with the same kit manufacturer. but this answer is not at all fair..if you recall most kit suppliers have updated the underpinning/chassis. of this car essentially offering that nostalgic feeling with more modern features. so its not exactly a modern engine in a "60's car" if "today's technology" is utilized.

Back