944 transaxle

Hard to do as that transmission is not designed to mount directly to an engine. There is no pilot bearing area on the input shaft and no provisions for mounting a throwout bearing. Essentially the same as Audi 016.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
It may take some time in a search, but there are at least a couple of good threads on this site, describing what was done to make the 944 work as a mid-engine transaxle. Not sure when, but I think is was probably 4-5 years ago?

Terry

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
One of our club guys has a 944 in his GT40. I recall him saying it was quite tricky however the box itself is very strong with better ratios than an 016 Audi. I could find out a bit more if you are interested.

I'm no expert but I believe a Porshe 930 is a much stronger gear box. However it only has 4 speeds - for me it doesn't matter as I rarely use more than 2nd gear!

John

Ron Poast

Supporter
One of our club guys has a 944 in his GT40. I recall him saying it was quite tricky however the box itself is very strong with better ratios than an 016 Audi. I could find out a bit more if you are interested.
Hi Bill I'm just starting on this project but any ideas from others would be great. Thanks

Ron Poast

Supporter
I'm no expert but I believe a Porshe 930 is a much stronger gear box. However it only has 4 speeds - for me it doesn't matter as I rarely use more than 2nd gear!

John
Hi John. I would love a 930 but cost and just finding one is a problem. Thanks for the reply.

The '99-'04 Boxster S 6-speed is probably about your best bet considering money spent for strength. The Audi 01X is another pretty good choice if you aren't planning too much HP. The Boxster has the advantage of already having cable shift designed on it so no additional linkage is necessary.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hard to do as that transmission is not designed to mount directly to an engine. There is no pilot bearing area on the input shaft and no provisions for mounting a throwout bearing. Essentially the same as Audi 016.

Other idiosyncrasies of the 944 transaxle would be that it did not have a bellhousing that would encompass many clutches along with flywheels and release bearings - Also a consideration might be the starter.

Back