A Roaring Forties with all the Options !

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Another interesting way of plumbing is if you are using the Canton-mecca extenal filters you can get the optional lid that has a place for a fitting where you can feed the Accusump (after a check valve) back into the oiling system.

Sandy

I hate to say it guys, but if you are planning on really going fast on the track, you should think about dry sump from the begining.
I have a GTD that I have been developing for the past 2 years. I now have the suspension/handling to a point that an 8 qt Armando's baffled race pan and a 3 qt. accumulator is barely enough to keep the motor oiled in the turns. Watching pressure build before you hit the starter is a comforting thing, and seeing the accusump kick in and hold oil pressure in the high G turns also helps ease the mind.

If I had to do it all again I would dry sump and put in a smaller accusump for start-up

My experience and my .02.

Andy

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree with you too Andy. But, I'm used to wet sump systems and all of our race cars have them by regulation with no failures. I'd still rather have the dry system though, but just didn't think of it when I set off on everything a while ago. In fact, I just threw some money in my motor for a windage system and scraper on the crank to go with my baffled Canton race pan. I'd go that route if I was starting from scratch too, but you can go fast wet!

R

Andy,

I'm trying to find a happy medium between an all-out race car and a road car. The option of a dry sump has all sorts of implications on a road car not least of which is having to remove the aircon pump to make room for the dry sump system. If your GT40 is anything like mine, even a mildly warm sunny day quickly becomes unbearably hot in the cockpit without a/c.

The idea of the accusump is just that at the moment, an idea, but I can imagine that it would combine well with sump baffles. Any other suggestions will be gratefully accepted though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

The loss of space for the AC compressor when installing a dry sump system was not something that I had previously considered. Is this the case for current RFs?

Thanks,

Al H.

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't think so, there are AC cars with dry sumps around, check Mike Starling's 40, there are pictures of his engine and front dress somewhere around here and he is definitely dry sump with road use in mind.

Ron

Al,
If you go back at the beginning of this thread you can clearly see that the Red RF still has the A/C. The pulley system and the mounting brackets are different than a regular RF. This is something that was prototyped and fittied at the customers request in Australia. I know it is not available on the South African cars. However, RF may be able to put together a kit that you could fit on yourself.
Al, if you have an interest in this please call me or send an e mail.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I go away for a week and look what happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Yes the car is mine.
I am still developing the car but it is a slow process at the moment.
I have some video of it at a local track and if people are interested I'll post something when a video repository becomes available.
Some time ago I posted a video under another thread. Unfortunately it was only on that server temporarily and I have nowhere to put it at the moment. It was titled "RF from factory to shakedown" or something like that. If anyone has it and feels like hosting it then feel free.

Tim.

The video mentioned above can now be found HERE .
It shows the car from my visit to the factory to it's first shakedown run at my local track. This time it's an Mpeg of around 26 MB.

Brief summary :-

The car as delivered was obviously built to a high standard.
On the road it has good manners. The engine is milder than I expected but the car performs quite well.
Brakes are good with only a bug in the ABS needing attention. The ABS is currently switched off until time permits.
Suspension has been altered with some more changes to come.
I have made quite a few changes to the car since it arrived but I think RF did a pretty good job of getting it right for me considering I only visited them once.

The car needs some development in the steering area though I believe that RF are working on this issue. Im waiting until they advise me they have something to try.

Tim.

I've put some in-car track footage HERE. It's 24MB.
It is the first couple of laps of the car's initial shakedown run. As you can see I was being very cautious. First time I'd used a right hand gearshift too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tim.

Hey Tim,
Thanks for that movie. I am coming down to Tassie next Easter with the Lotus Club on a 10 day "Targa Tour", and we're booking Baskerville for one of the days. It looks like a great track! I think my Hayabusa Clubman would love it. I'll be bringing the RF40 so it would be great to catch up at some stage.

No problem.
Let me know when you're at Baskerville. I might join you out there, if you'll let me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'd love to see your Clubman sometime, I've been considering a Radical SR8 of late.

Tim.

Tim

Any chance you could put your videos up somewhere else? Unfortunately I missed your post by a couple of days...

Thanks
Richard

Thanks, Tim. Great footage. The left-hander at the top of the hill could be very scary if you weren't expecting it.

Which track is that? I'm looking forward to some video of you really driving the car hard.

Regards
Richard

Back