air impact wrench/tools

Not sure if the Yanks are different but the largest compressor that is single phase 240v
is 3 h.p. anything above that will be 3 phase.
They did offer 4 h.p. single phase once but it dont work, you see the amps required to run a 3 h.p. motor is around 12A and In the UK most plug sockets are 13 A fused.
You therefore should put the compressors through a seperate fused supply... Say off your house ring main which is 30A rated.
If you have a long run from the incoming electrical supply to where the compressor will be you can get a voltage drop this will cause an amps increase... It's a balance.
Always buy a belt driven compressor not a direct drive.
Belt drive means motor runs at say 2800 rpm pump is geared to run lower say 1300.
A pump that runs at 1300 rpm will last longer, be larger in size ( working less ) and quieter in operation.
A direct drive motor runs at 2800 rpm , so does the smaller pump run at 2800 rpm hence wears out quicker and bloody noisey.
As I say ask me any questions

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Not sure if the Yanks are different but the largest compressor that is single phase 240v
is 3 h.p. anything above that will be 3 phase.

Yes the Yanks are different. 3-phase power is very unusual in a residential setting, and 240V single phase is used for motors well beyond. 30A 240V circuits for supplying clothes driers are common.

By the way, Here in the UK 'Snap On' compresors are red and they do not make there own. They buy from another supplier and have them in there colour and stickers.
They often give a warranty of say 3 years ( subject to servicing being done ) but charge a lot more for it.
If you dont mine if it's red, blue or whatever you can source them cheaper elsewhere.
We have sold them, repaired them, installed them and serviced such things for years.
A middle of the road compressor for small business / home use is made by ABAC from Italy. There a worldwide supplier.
Bigger better one's are Kaiser Screw compressors IMHO

Keith:
Most houses here have 230 volt with a 200 amp service, the biggest motor that will start and run on that is 10 hp., most of the bigger sized compressors that most guys have in their garages are between 6 and 7 1/2 hp and they can really dim the lights when they start.
I think you could run bigger than 3 hp but starting is where the problem is.
The compressor at my shop is 10 hp and the motor starts under no load as there is a bleeder that drains the pressure line after each cycle. This valve stuck one time and the compressor would not start and popped the breaker, I am pretty sure those smaller units don't have that valve especially the direct drive units.
Cheers
Phil

I had curcuit breakers tripping on my tig welder, it would exceed on start up but come back to curcuit capacity when running.

I installed motor fuses.
When a welder or motor starts it draws more amps, the motor fuses will run on 20A but allow a spike to 50 on start up with out poping.
I never looked back

Jim

Back