Aluminum Mono

Transverse box.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 315
Last picture of the transverse box with cap Hi-Loced and welded in place to complete the box

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 326

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I believe I recall the RCR Mono tub coming in at just about 300# but it might be made of slightly heavier alloy.
Are you going to build a cage in this car too? That will add some torsional rigidity to the chassis as well. Not sure I would weld the seats in place for that..

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Is Boeing missing some aluminum? :) That looks like 747-800 floor material to me.

Very nice work and nothing beats driving something you built with your own hands.

Hi Randy, the "roll bar" will be like the original so there will be no separate roll bar made of tube.

Hi Rick, I am using all 6061-T6 and T4! You won't ever find that on a Boeing plane it's only used for tooling.

Hi Steve:

You are doing a great job. I thought your current chassis was very well built.

Tig welding is difficult enough,the positions have to be even tougher. I tried to tig weld a couple times which resulted in my receiving a jolt of electricity through my body. Followed by an out burst of expletives and never touching a tig torch since.:shocked::shocked:

Last edited:
Steve, that's an amazing bit of fabrication. I'm very interested to see how you set up the front suspension mounting points.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
So does that mean that the RCR monocoque chassis is a superb piece of fabrication too.....wink.

Randy
the torsional/beam ridgidity is superb without a roll cage...Steve told me his math model numbers and they are almost identical to the math and also the real world physical test rig results we found with the RCR chassis...surprise surprise.

Steve,as we have discussed make sure you weld inside and outside of all the panels you can to give full penetration and larger cross sectional strength.

I know you appreciate that we build two monocoque chassis per week

Last edited:
Fran,

I'm afraid that you guys have been doing so much jaw dropping stuff for so long that it's now the expectation...

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Let's see some more pictures of this chassis. I'd really like to see what your are doing with the front end.:idea:

I finished welding up the front side panels this evening before the Seahawks game, go Hawks! I won't have any time to work on this until next week. Sorry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
I have been working on the front lower suspension mount mockup, here is what it will look like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 290
Back