An Interesting Study......

Keith

Indeed Jack, all that to say that wearing sun glasses and a gun makes you look hard....:laugh:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Fascinating study, and I don't doubt the validity given the complex nature of human psychology. As "enlightened" as we portend to be as a human species, we quickly fall back into a more de-evolved, primal pattern given the right stimulus or conditions. No surprise here.

I remember one of the things that was drilled into me as a Air Traffic Controller, was the "authority" card. Some guys took it only as a means to an end, others took it to heart in everything they touched. Law Enforcement training is no different, but now we stick a gun and other weapons in their hands (these guys and gals are human beings with the same faults we have), and there is something that changes in the chemistry of the brain.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'Study bears out what I've often said: 'Tis faaaaar better to 'carry' concealed as opposed to carrying in the open.

I cant go along with this, the "study" uses the terms can,possibly,may, suspicions and some far to often.Tiz all bollocks:laugh: What you have in Merica is too many nutters running around tooled up. The French and Italian police are armed, take a look at the stats. The single biggest difference between all of the countries is the guns that are in the hands of the public, way to many Rambos, crims and nutters with firearms your side of the pond , tiz the fault of the Founding Fathers apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Bob

Keith

Don't divert the thread Robert - it's not about that at all...Now you know exactly how it's going to turn out...:thumbsdown:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I cant go along with this, the "study" uses the terms can,possibly,may, suspicions and some far to often.Tiz all bollocks:laugh: What you have in Merica is too many nutters running around tooled up. The French and Italian police are armed, take a look at the stats. The single biggest difference between all of the countries is the guns that are in the hands of the public, way to many Rambos, crims and nutters with firearms your side of the pond , tiz the fault of the Founding Fathers apparently

Bob

Zackly what 'point' do you think you're making???

PER YOUR LINK:

Homicides by firearms per 100K people:

Brazil: 18.1
Columbia: 27.1
El Salvador: 39.90
Guatamala: 34.38
Honduras: 64.8!!!
Jamaica ('mon'!)39.40
Swaziland: 37.36
Venezuela: 50.96!!!
USA: 10.64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suicides:

Uruguay: 7.03 (pop: 3,429,000)
USA: 6.70 (pop: 320.09 million!!!)

Now, if one takes into account the TOTAL NUMBER OF GUNS supposedly in each of those countries (supposedly there are 310 million guns in the USA) and compares that to the number of citizens in each of those individual countries - there IS NO "gun problem" in the USA!

But, as The Colonel pointed out - that's not the TOPIC we're addressing right now...

Last edited:
Zackly what 'point' do you think you're making???

PER YOUR LINK:

Homicides by firearms per 100K people:

Brazil: 18.1
Columbia: 27.1
El Salvador: 39.90
Guatamala: 34.38
Honduras: 64.8!!!
Jamaica (mon!)39.40
Swaziland: 37.36
Venezuela: 50.96!!!
USA: 10.64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suicides:

Uruguay: 7.03 (pop: 3,429,000)
USA: 6.70 (pop: 320.09 million!!!)

Now, if one takes into account the TOTAL NUMBER OF GUNS supposedly in each of those countries (supposedly there are 310 million guns in the USA) and compares that to the number of citizens in each of those individual countries - there IS NO "gun problem" in the USA!

But, as The Colonel pointed out - that's not the TOPIC we're addressing right now...

My point Larry is there is no correlation between heightened aggressive behaviour and armed police in the civilised world. You guys are on your own with this one,it is my opinion that because of the situation with guns stateside you are witnessing a dog eats dog scenario. You have trigger happy criminals on the streets leaving the police with split second life or death decisions to make.Your list from Brazil to Venezuela is hardly representative of the civilised word, France ,Italy and a good few more are good examples of an armed Police force that are not regarded as intimidating nor responsible for violent interactions. Most of that report is only relevant to the States and I dont think for one minute any member of the law abiding public stateside would raise a heartbeat at the sight of an armed Police officer, a criminal would. Your officers even have to approach a motorist`s with one hand ready for a draw because they are not sure if they are going to write out a speeding ticket first or end up in a shoot out with a loon.

Bob

marc

Lifetime Supporter
This is BS. A 2000 study, 15 years ago. Come on get with the times. Typical sway on facts to ramp up liberal dirty laundering. Pshrinks are capable of proving anyone that commits a homicide is unfit for trial on the basis of "you must be nuts to shoot anyone." As for a cop with a gun, here in America we have some very "big boys" with steroids and or other hopups that make themselves bigger than a Gorilla. Just look at the women of walmart to see who you want to beat you down, Keith. There just needs that balance for authority. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. The nut doesn't need a gun to kill you. Sticks, Stones, you know the drill.
Americans have been given the gun, we gave you nuclear power. Now where is the problem? Middle East,baby! Thats where man was created and soon be annihilated.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
How do you get from gun death rates you say are caused by the number of guns in the hands of the >public< (and provide a link to GUN DEATH RATE STATS 'by country' to boot) here:

...take a look at the stats. The single biggest difference between ALL OF THE COUNTRIES is the guns that are in the hands of the public ("the sight of an armed police officer" not a factor here, I guess), way to many Rambos, crims and nutters with firearms your side of the pond , tiz the fault of the Founding Fathers apparently

...to a philosophical dissertation on the psychological 'causes' at the ROOT OF gun deaths resulting from violent interactions with LEOs (NOT the number of guns in the hands of the public as 1st stated) here:

My point Larry is there is no correlation between heightened aggressive behaviour and armed police in the civilised world. You guys are on your own with this one,it is my opinion that because of the situation with guns stateside you are witnessing a dog eats dog scenario. You have trigger happy criminals on the streets leaving the police with split second life or death decisions to make.Your list from Brazil to Venezuela is hardly representative of the civilised word (I'm sure they'll all be glad to know you don't consider them part of the civilized world), France ,Italy and a good few more are good examples of an armed Police force that are not regarded as intimidating nor responsible for violent interactions. Most of that report is only relevant to the States and I dont think for one minute any member of the law abiding public stateside would raise a heartbeat at the sight of an armed Police officer, a criminal would. Your officers even have to approach a motorist`s with one hand ready for a draw because they are not sure if they are going to write out a speeding ticket first or end up in a shoot out with a loon.

'Twould appear you've chosen to have different arguments battle in the same gunny sack.

You've stated your position, I've stated mine. The reader can try to sort thru the fog his own darned self...

As previously stated - 'not germaine to the topic at hand anyway.

I stand by my views on this Larry, this short clip demonstrates an extreme situation but by the same token bolsters why your police have to be as vigilant with a take no prisoners attitude.The armed officers of europe do not have to endure this crap and neither do the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1gYEG1TzBk

Edit. Speeding violation

Last edited:
Of course guns intimidate.
This ordinary traffic stop could have ended much better by initially complying with the cop. The traffic stop in Cincinnati would have ended had the person complied, one dead another life ruined. Where are people getting the idea that they should be confrontational with the police. Right or wrong, the police hold the winning hand. My dad told me when I got my license, license, registration, hands on the top of the steering wheel, yes sir, no sir, stay in the car. Pretty simple to stay alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYTqPJvW18s

This is probably a life changer that didn't need to be.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
You guys are forgetting the fact that the cop before he stops the car knows more about the person driving in most cases than you think. They have the license and vehicle description, link to see the owner, verify criminal record, etc. they already know if there may be a problem, plus you were stopped for break some law (usually, unless they are a car nut and like your '40). They have been shot at, ostracized, and lied to (been given every story in the world to get out of a ticket). Don't you think they would be on their toes if you have some prior issues? Or it was a stolen car?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Good points Marc. Given the circumstances of placing a high degree of authority, as well as a deadly weapon in their hands, one would reasonably assume (and expect) a corresponding and balanced degree of self-restraint and understanding that folks are not going to be happy to see the blue lights in their mirror. Just because they (LEO) may be cynical of the next guy they pull over is not validation or vindication that they should allow unprofessional conduct to override rational thought, or excuse poor responses to "normal" human behavior, especially in light of recent circumstances. If we were to excuse the LEO simply because they were "human", then we might as well place anybody in that position of authority without any leeway in how they perform. We don't though, and that is why they should indeed be "exceptional" people, which is not being born out by recent events. My expectation is that the accountability for their errors in judgement should be equally balanced to their extraordinary power to change someones life forever, especially if the LEO "felt threatened", or felt his authority was being challenged. That level of balance does not exist today. More and more, the "he said, she said" is becoming less trusted simply due to evidence proving that we've provided extraordinary power to ordinary people. That is a bad combination.

Last edited:
Back