And Now for Something Completely Different...

Keith

Well, I've bought another guitar and although it says "Hamer" on it it has nothing whatever to to with Paul Hamer the originator which is a sad thing. Original Hamers in the USA fetch huge sums and there is an interesting parallel with the hot rod industry because that's what Paul Hamer started off doing - hot rodding guitars. He pioneered so many "firsts" in guitar hardware and design his name should be right up there with Les Paul and Leo Fender. Short story is he got successively bought out and now cannot even make guitars under his own name (apparently, he is now a picture framer!). This version is a Chinese made Hamer built whilst under the stewardship of Fender about 9 years ago and emulates a pukka Hamer design. It's a beautiful all mahogany guitar though, well worth the money I paid and sounds (and built) very much like a vintage Les Paul. Suffice to say, Fender just casually shut down production 3 years ago and so you will never see the brand again, which is possibly why I bought it.

Now to try and play the damned thing!

Keith

You got that right! Still I view them more as objets d'art to be honest. Still can't play the damned things but I like them better than paintings. They all seem to "speak" to me somehow and I get a great deal of pleasure having them around..

Did tinker with the Hamer today (sounds the bees knees) and it might be psychological but I immediately felt more at home with it, so I will persevere. Left hand is just not flexible enough at the moment though...

Back