Any SPF GT40 Roadsters yet

I remember reading an article on upcoming versions a few years ago and SPF mentioned a MK II roadster. Have they made any yet?

David

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The factory has not produced any GT roadsters to date and currently has no plans to do so. There is however a Mk I roadster being constructed using a Superformance and an original FAV roadster windscreen.

Perhaps when that project is a little further along I can secure pictures and additional details. At this point the owner would rather fly under the radar.

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Any know who did this one? Looks like it has an FE judging on the cant of the IDA stacks.

Best,
K

Attachments

• 9201027036_spyder_lfront.jpg
    9201027036_spyder_lfront.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 363
Ok thanks, was looking at the exoto roadster model and wondering why there aren't more actual roadster GT40s running around.

It's my understanding that Superformance can build a version that would have the top of the doors removeable, looking like a T-top.
However, I don't think they have enough interest in this mod. to make a build run. Lance at Superformance would have more info.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It's my understanding that Superformance can build a version that would have the top of the doors removeable, looking like a T-top.
However, I don't think they have enough interest in this mod. to make a build run. Lance at Superformance would have more info.

Correct, that was a plan to offer the removeable door tops as Safir did on some cars, but none have been done to date and there has not been any real interest from any customers.

Note that the "T-Top" setup is not really a "Roadster" as the GT40 roadsters had totally different windscreens, doors and "B" bulkheads. Again, there has not been enough genuine interest to justify the tooling expense required to do this properly.

Ok thanks, was looking at the exoto roadster model and wondering why there aren't more actual roadster GT40s running around.

Rick is absolutely right. Tooling costs are the real prohibitive factor as far as creating a 'correct spec' roadster on a commercial basis is concerned.

Plus, because the chassis is weakened considerably from removing the roof bridging section then you have an added complexity whereby the extra twist & flex needs to be minimized. This in itself involves some careful calculations & some recommended chassis mods which adds to the overall complexity of a roadster.

The tooling for our GT40 X-1 roadster recreation proved to be an immense challenge as many of the panels & components are totally unique to this particular car so a lot of hard work, extensive research and big costs have gone into getting is absolutely correct.

Our own project in isolation would definitely not therefore be a viable proposition for any company that wishes to obtain a profitable return on their investment. (My bank manager keeps trying to remind me of this very fact, but that's because he is a sane man unlike me!)
But interest does seem to be slowly growing for the roadsters over in the UK & France IMHO, so hopefully Rick can convince SPF to take the plunge and invest at some point in the not to distant future as it would be nice to see a decent correct spec replica generally available to the public.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
What I would like to have is two interchangable sets of doors, one standard and one with just the lower door, nothing above where the window starts. The door pins appear to make the door switch quick and easy.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
What I would like to have is two interchangable sets of doors, one standard and one with just the lower door, nothing above where the window starts. The door pins appear to make the door switch quick and easy.

Jim,

That is possible. We have talked to the factory about a "second door" option and it may happen. The drivers door would have a plug to allow the AC controls to be connected and disonnected quickly. To swap doors you need only pull the front clam forward and twist out the door hing pins with the knurled knob on the top.

Back