Anybody here have their GT40 painted Gulf colors?

I am researching the color codes on the Gulf GT40's.

I have done searches and so far, I have found info regarding the color codes and so forth. I'm cool there.

However, would somebody please tell me what the width of the orange stripe is? Most important, I am trying to figure out the proportion of the width of the two small dark blue lines.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what that is...

regards,
joe

No I have not had my GT40 painted Gulf colors , but I owned an original paint Gulf car chassis 1086 the orange is called Meregold, hope this helps......jw

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Jerry,

P1086, when did you own it and when did you part with it? Do you know who owned it before and who owned it after you did?

Joe, there are lots of GT40 replicas painted in Gulf colors and I imagine the widths are around here and there with the owners as well. Good luck with those.

Ron

Thanks guys... Got the color codes and so forth. I was just trying to get the widths. I have found a bunch of pics and have a general idea of what I need.

thanks...

joe

Joe,

These lines varied and were black and blue.

I use black 1/4" wide striping tape because it is easy to replace after "battle" damage on the track. Apart from a minute lip it is just as effective as paint and will never lift off providing you put it on a "clean" surface and iron or roller it down firmly. Both the 917 and the 40 are done that way and no one has ever faulted them.

Regards,

Graham @ GTA

Malcolm

Supporter
One way of comparing widths for the orange stripe is to look at the tops of the doors. How far does the orange creep onto the door tops? I do not claim to have a definitive answer here but on my car (a GTD) the orange stripe goes onto the door tops by about 1 1/8 inches and then the 1/4 inch dark blue stripe. But are the doors recessed precisely like an original? Who knows? No one has yet said my orange stripe was the wrong width. Most people get hung up on the shade of light blue!

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't 1076 been restored post its race victory? I think I heard that it had and that when it was repainted in Gulf colours, actually the colours varied slightly and the width of the dark blue line expanded quite a bit to say 1/2 inch.

The other thing to watch on gulf paint jobs is how the orange smile goes round to the wheel arch. Does it rise up a bit or stay horizontal? I say it rises up a bit!

Does the orange stripe extend below the exhaust outlet? Across the inner panel under the rear windscreen?

There were three gulf paint jobs. One with the smiley orange face, one with the stripe just going over the front of the nose, and finally one with a V orange stripe. Why does no one copy these latter two paint schemes?

Is there really a definitive Gulf paint scheme? I would suggest not really.....

Chris Kouba

Supporter
A visit to racingicons.com also shows a pic where they sand down one chassis (I believe it's 1076) and they uncover 3 different shades of the light blue.

I should preface that with "If I remember correctly..."

As has been said before and likely many more times in the future, there is likely no exact answer to that question.

Back