anybody know this car?

Malcolm

Supporter
I think people will pay less for a space frame CAV than one of their mono versions. IMHO I don't see why but there you go! Neither is a true GT40 clone. Nomex is now being worn!!!!Even so, if a spaceframe that still looks a low price. Compare price with GTDs if it really is a space frame car.

If the VIN number is correct, it is definitely a spaceframe CAV. The monocoque
CAVS will have a VIN that reads 1A**MONOB66 I believe.

Ian

For the asking price, I would beleive this would be a great deal for someone. It presents itself well, and the paint and finish look good to me. Too bad the listing lacks details to more information on the drive train and other mechanical components.

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
Well, before I get the seller all hot - n - bothered on the phone, I figured I'd ask around to see if it looked familiar to anyone on here... it certainly is a good deal if it's sorted, and possibly the spaceframe/early CAV chassis and/or mild engine keeps the price down... however, I certainly prefer the blue windowless CAV listed on this site from Rochester NY, it's just that I can't travel to inspect it for a month or so due to demands of work...

I talked to the owner of this car, as it turns out its in the same area I live in, but have not had the time to go actually see it.

Listening to the owner it sounds like the classic of someone not realizing what a GT40 actually is ( I mean a '60s era race car) and as he put it, he is over 6'1 and finds it more snug than he would like, I believe he mentioned buying a 456 Ferarri to drive around instead.

Anyways it is a real car, I invited him to join us at Howard's party on the 14th, and anyone looking for a 40 should go see it and snap it up quick, I mean 60k for a driving CAV space frame or not is a bargain.

Some small details in the pics for this car do indeed identify it as a space frame car (2001 or earlier) rather than the monocoque, as indicated in the textual description. My car is #8 of the early monocoques and is a 2002. I was lucky enough to get my car for the low $50K's with a similar plain vanilla drivetrain included.

I'd take a good hard look at a runner for that kind of money. It's a good platform to get you into the game quickly and you can upgrade to suit yout tastes as time allows.
There are a lot of positive aspects to building your own car from the ground up, but sometimes time in the shop is not one of them.

Brian

Back