Anyone producing convincing looking GT40 chassis?

TrevS,

GOX chassis are indeed very close to original...at least that is what everyone who has seen them says. Probably closer than SPF.

Also, they are sold as a kit. In fact, I think that they are only sold as a kit. The problem has always been delivery. There have been some complaints about timeliness, and incomplete parts availability.

I had spoken in Goran a bit a few years ago, and was very interested in their car. My understanding is that they are even closer to original than SPF, more in line with Gelsco...but I'm not sure if they are even actively marketing the car anymore. Things got a little "warm" on some forums for GOX, and it seems that they were letting that part of the business cool down a bit.

As for cost, I don't recall the pricing anymore, I'll look it up. My impression was that you couldn't build it any cheaper than an SPF, once all was said and done.

Here is the price quote from Goran in 2008:

"Price for a kit is 500.000SEK for export "

At todays conversion rate that would be $75.2K

And you have to build it and paint it. Makes SPF look pretty good.

Here is the price quote from Goran in 2008:

"Price for a kit is 500.000SEK for export "

At todays conversion rate that would be $75.2K

And you have to build it and paint it. Makes SPF look pretty good.

If that is indeed true then yes an SPF does look like good value. If I could stretch to it then its something I'd seriously consider but import costs etc put the price of the SPF to close to £100k. I know that quality costs etc but that's too rich for a poor web designer like myself.

Trevor,

Thats about $156K US. Wow.

I imagine I can ship newly completed SPF GT40s to you all day long for that price. How much are the import duties?

For fun, did some quick checking

As I understand it, to import a car into GB, a new one that wasn't produced in the eurozone, you must pay a 20% VAT and a 10% import duty.

So,

US cost of a SPF GT40 roller~$90K
multiplied by 30% taxes etc = $117K
at current exchange rate = 87.9K euros or 74.5K pounds
now add a couple of thousand dollars US for shipping....so,

Can anybody tell me what these are going for in the UK (really 100K pounds?, roller?), I'd like to calculate my margin before I officially open my unofficial SPF export business.

You think I'm kidding....I'll sell mine first, just to get the ball rolling!

Last edited:
It's not quite 30% it's more. You pay 10% import duty, and then the shipping fees. Then you pay 20% VAT on all of that aswell. Also HMRC use there own exchange rate, not the going rate. The last time I looked they were using 1.48 to the pound.

So you take the cost of the product, add the shipping fees, and then add 10% duty. Then add 20% VAT to all that. And then convert it to Sterling using HMRCs exchange rate.

It soon adds up.

Rune

Supporter
It is not easy to get a GOX monocoque these days and that is not due to the cost. The cars was planned to be build in just a small number, and this number is now almost reached. One can always discust how close a gt40 is to the original car. But when you have all the aprox 2600 drawings and make the car from theese, I vould say that You are pretty close.
Every part in a GOX mono will fit perfect into a original car because they are "born" from the same drawings.
Rune

Do you pay VAT on the inport duty?

The VAT on the cost of shipping wouldn't add much. Five hundred dollars, maybe.

Running the numbers quickly, at the HMRC rate, 117K US = 79K pounds (about a 10% difference). Still some wiggle room.

Nice of the HMRC to just make up their own rate...nice bit of protectionism there (somehow I doubt that the rate ever favors the importer). Not that every other country in the world doesn't do essentially the same thing, one way or another.

Ron Earp

Admin
Can anybody tell me what these are going for in the UK (really 100K pounds?, roller?), I'd like to calculate my margin before I officially open my unofficial SPF export business.

!

You and me both. I've been saying the same for years. The arithmetic doesn't seem to work out - either they aren't selling for the listed UK prices or Nigel & crew are making a killing.

Trev, can I ask a stupid question and please forgive me for this....but why the desire for a chassis that mirrors an original. Is it for performance or just to know you have a very good "copy" of an original design or both? Its really none of my damn business why you want one but having owned my CAV car for almost 3 years I've come to appreciate many traits about this car but it being "close to an original" isn't one of them. When novices look at my car they certainly know its a GT40 but probably could care less its not an original and those that are "in the know" certainly know I'm not trying to pan it off as an original because if it was as most of them tell me "you'd have bodyguards around it." I'm aware all of us buy these cars for differing reasons whether it be a SPF, RCR, CAV, GOX, Gelscoe, Bailey Edwards, Tornado, Roaring Forties, etc. but I've never really understood the issue of orginality or having something that is so close to an original that one needs Ronnie Spain to put his seal of approval on it. There is only one "real" Mona Lisa and everyone knows where that painting is so anyone with an exact brush stroke perfect "copy" still only has a copy. I admire and marvel at the quality of the builds I see on this forum and tip my hat to each and everyone of you that build outrageously stunning machines but in the end it isn't an original. I know I could get "flamed" for this thinking but I guess it just comes down to what each of us really wants and is willing to pay for. I'm finished....thanks for allowing my rant. I'll look forward to reading which way you go.

If we are saying that the cost of a new SPF costs $117k then according to a shipping website the costs roughly work out as follows:

<table class="tbl-norm" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Total customs value:</td> <td>£76021.77</td> </tr> <tr> <td>- Duty:</td> <td>£7602.18</td> </tr> <tr> <td>- VAT:</td> <td>£16724.79</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Total import duty & taxes due:</td> <td>£24326.97</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">Total landed cost:</td> <td> £100348.73</td></tr></tbody></table>
Now add on additional costs for getting the car from the SPF factory to the docks in the US and picking then the delivery costs from the docks in the UK to my house. Plus not forgetting that the car then has to be tested and registered for UK roads your probably looking at about £102k or $160k

Trev

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor,

Boy those British Pounds add up quickly!

I know it was a few years ago, but I ordered P-2264, new from SA, got a new ZF/RBT and a new Roush 342R and had it put together, including tax for around $110,00US.

It seems that it might be cheaper to move to the States:)

Trev,

You've double dipped the taxes!!

The cost new (and this is towards the high-end) is $90K US for a roller. NOT $117K (that is with the taxes already added in).

Re-work your numbers, you'll find them to be much more friendly!!

Trev, can I ask a stupid question and please forgive me for this....but why the desire for a chassis that mirrors an original. Is it for performance or just to know you have a very good "copy" of an original design or both? Its really none of my damn business why you want one but having owned my CAV car for almost 3 years I've come to appreciate many traits about this car but it being "close to an original" isn't one of them. When novices look at my car they certainly know its a GT40 but probably could care less its not an original and those that are "in the know" certainly know I'm not trying to pan it off as an original because if it was as most of them tell me "you'd have bodyguards around it." I'm aware all of us buy these cars for differing reasons whether it be a SPF, RCR, CAV, GOX, Gelscoe, Bailey Edwards, Tornado, Roaring Forties, etc. but I've never really understood the issue of orginality or having something that is so close to an original that one needs Ronnie Spain to put his seal of approval on it. There is only one "real" Mona Lisa and everyone knows where that painting is so anyone with an exact brush stroke perfect "copy" still only has a copy. I admire and marvel at the quality of the builds I see on this forum and tip my hat to each and everyone of you that build outrageously stunning machines but in the end it isn't an original. I know I could get "flamed" for this thinking but I guess it just comes down to what each of us really wants and is willing to pay for. I'm finished....thanks for allowing my rant. I'll look forward to reading which way you go.

I don't think I said I wanted an original style chassis but am just exploring what options are out there ;)

I think I've got what they call the replica building bug and the problem is knowing where to stop and what I ultimately want to acheive. I work as a designer and for me it's as much about how a car looks as the way it goes. Personally I think a GT40 with it's body off is almost as beautiful as with it on. Also I do find there is something very satifying about getting those period correct parts and the finer details of the building, I guess it's all part of the fun.

Ultimately a SPF is my dream car. If I had the money I would have bought one, they are my perfect GT40. However I don't have the budget so do I stick with my Tornado which I still love and 2 years ago was everything I wanted but now probably doesn't tick all my boxes or do I look at what alternatives within my budget are out there that get me closer to the ideal car?

I could sell the Tornado, wait and save for an SPF but it's risky. I am at an age now where we are starting to think about having kids etc and I know that if I got rid of the 40 and didn't replace it straight away life might get in the way and it would never happen. It's much easier to keep focused on the end goal if you have some kind of GT40 stareing at you everytime you walk into the garage. My Tornado might not be perfect but hey I am living the dream, I own a GT40

Trev,

I did a quick re-run of your numbers, I think your total would come out closer to 77K pounds.

Like I said, I think the prices in the UK, if really as reported, seem a bit high.

I would be more than willing to broker a few deals with you guys!!

Funny,

You are at the age of "starting to think about having kids"...and I am at the age of starting to think about not having them...

Hope they don't read this :)

Really, I have great kids....anybody want one?

I'll be here all night, don't forget to tip your waitress.

Trev,

I did a quick re-run of your numbers, I think your total would come out closer to 77K pounds.

Like I said, I think the prices in the UK, if really as reported, seem a bit high.

Cheers Ron, I think I worked out the cost of finished car including transaxle and engine. I think your right about £77k for a roller.

Trev,

Hey guys, do you know if many Superformance GT40's come up for sale in the states? There seems to be the odd one here and there on this site but where would be the best place to look for them be? I guess the main issues I'd have with looking at any SPF's is that I'd need a right hand drive version and not sure how common these are in the US. Also I'd like a sill shift, so again I am guessing this would limit the amount of available cars

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind response Trev. I'll wish you continued success in reaching your dream. Pathfinder Motorsports here in the US specialize in SPF GT40R versions of RHD & sill shift cars and I think they had one for sale but don't hold me to it. I think if you search www.pathfindermotorsports.com you'll be able to check out their product. There is no doubt this car is a very solid alternative to an original or Gelscoe car and at a very reasonable price. If I had to do it all over again and had a few more $'s at my disposal I'd certainly give them great consideration.

Back