audi 016 reinforcement plate

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have an audi 016, and the first mod i want to make is the reinforcement plate. I know the guy i used to see selling the plate and machining on ebay for $100 doesnt have any auctions up, i also messaged him with no response. alternative to making my own, where else can i get a plate and machining?

i will post pics of my project soon. 74 porsche 911, 993 iberglass widebody, z06 wheels, double wishbone front and rear suspension, jdm subaru ej20 turbo motor, mid engine, 016 trans, tube chassis, carbon fiber hardtop.

thanks Jay

I bought one from Chassis works. It did require a little clearancing. They must have prototyped it on a transaxle with a different gear set than mine. I had to grind out about a quarter inch where it slipped over the gears. This was still way simpler than starting from scratch. I ended up getting mine off ebay.

Jay,
These are the people that used to do it, but they have none on thier website at the moment either.

Chassisworks,inc The industry leader in do it yourself Kit Car chassis, and Builder's Supplies!!

Brett

yep thats the guy i messaged on ebay with no reply.. maybe ill email him from the website.

Is the reinforcement plate you are talking about on the rear mainshaft bearing?? Perhaps this one might help.
Trans 5000 Audi - Lambo Lounge

yep, i know what it is, just dont want to have to cut that 1/2" steel myself.

If there were enough people interested in the plates that would commit to an order, I would make them. Machining is what I do for a living, so it would be a simple matter. All I need is a pencil rubbing of the empty case where the plate would be reinforcing. Not an out & out solicitation, just an offer to help out members of this forum.

jim ive read many of your informative posts about this subject, but maybe you can shed some light on a burning question ive had for a long time. How the hell do i get this black plastic plug off the back without damaging it???

transaxleupgrade1.jpg

Charlie M

Supporter
I was planning to make one for myself. When I do I'll make a few extra. I have access to a CNC mill at work. Once it's set up, making a few more isn't a big deal.

Charlie

I just used a screwdriver at one edge. This will create a dent at that area. What I did, since I am a cheap b@$tard, is use a large socket and a hammer to tap it back into shape. A little silicone and pound it back home. Never had one leak.

If someone is making these, I will buy one. Do they affect oiling?

Also, is this the main failure of the Audi gearbox? What is the next biggest failure point? It seems that this is what fails if you impact load the tranny, how does this box wear out over time when used with 400+ hp, but not impacted?

Casey [email protected]

Then what after the spider gears?

Since I already have a, Audi transaxle in my car and am a mechanically sympathetic driver. Do you all think I am better off beefing it up with LSD and this strenth plate rather than costly ZF upgrades?

Or if I have the money, should I just forget the Audi T and get a ZF or the RBT 6 Zf?

Anyone put the new Ford GT's Ricardo in one? They are readily available and should be very tough.

Guy's,

If your interested I have an .igs 3D model that I designed based on Jim Dinners work. I used a CMM to measure the rear section of the Audi 016 trans then build the model based on those dimensions. I used this model to CNC machine my own plate. I can not offer the machining services, but if you'd like the .igs model let me know and I will email it to you. :)

Back