Audi V8q transaxle

Gentlemen,
I managed to get my hands on an AWW-code transaxle off a 1991 Audi V8 Quattro. From what I understand this thing is a hybrid of the 016/01E, basically 01E-style internals inside a 016-style case, complete with oil pump. From what I understand this particular transaxle is both rare and desirable for its added strength (and internal oil pump) over lesser 016s, strength I will very much be taking advantage of in the future.

Some of the more knowledgeable members over at motorgeeks.com tell me that it is not possible to convert this to 2WD, or at least very difficult. Isn't it just a matter of welding/locking the center-diff or fabricating a spool-type device in its place?

I also noticed that there's a bit of axial play, on the order of 1-2mm in the stub shafts. This struck me as both irritating and unusual, given that there's little to no freeplay in the input shaft.

Last and most troubling, I noticed that when I try to turn the input shaft, only the (rear) output shaft turns, with nothing going on up front. When I turn the fronts, its more of the same, nothing goes on either up front or out back. Is this supposed to be normal because of the way the torsen diff works? If not what do you suppose could be the matter? I really hope I didn't end up with a lunched gearbox! Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 510

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think I'd be pullin' the drain plug and looking for bits...

I also seem to recall that you need to lock down the output shaft of the Quattro box in order to drive the stub axles.. I'm not sure why. The research I did on these was at least two years ago so my memory is quite likely failing...

Yeah, this was my reasoning as well. I'll probably need to fab up a spool in place of the torsen center diff to be able to use this tranny...

Back