Australian Grand Prix Tonight

I know it is tomorrow down under, but what an excitng race.
The first of 19 and no rain. Fisichella in a Renault. What does this say for the Renault transaxles? 10:34 pm Sat Texas time.

Pretty good race. The new rules are going to make this year very interesting. Until the owners start complaining and asking for all sorts of expemtions for this and that.
Go Ferrari!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It was a great race. Cannot help thinking that FIA are playing with others lives in the rule of one set of tires only. Anyone is automatically handicapped enough in having to come in and change tires.
Renault and a number of others have closed the technological gap with Ferrari.

John

I enjoyed seeing the rules changed to favor the drivers who understand the limits of their equipment! It should be an interesting season.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Everytime a commercial came on I switched over to an old black and white James Stewart film. I believe I saw more of the film than the race - and I think it was more interesting and less contrived.

Brian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alonso and Barrichello were the only ones to do any overtaking. Button said afterwards as soon as he got close to a car in front his car was undriveable - so it looks like the new aero packages have not helped in that regard. One major problem with the new 'last all race' tyres is that if someone goes off the track at all, like Montoya, it apparently takes ages for the grip to come back. Made me smile that Coulthard beat both McLarens - that must have been really satisfying....

Keith

I have rediscovered my faith in Coulthard. What a gritty drive and what a chuckle he must have had beating the "Two Ronnies" and in a car which is 100% Jaguar. ( How do you feel Fomoco -?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As for the cars, surely now is the time to ditch the grooved slicks, reduce the aero and get back to wheel banging racing, before this lot forget HOW to overtake. And, at the risk of offending any Candians here, what on earth was Jacques Villeneuve on? Apart from that Alonso maneouvre, he seemed to trundle around in a dream. What gives? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
I gotta tell ya that the real roadrace yesterday was from Mexico City! 231 thousand people (weekend total) at a Bush Grand National race. This is comming from a guy with a 40 year love affair with F1. Take off the wings give them 8 inch tires and lose the electronics. I would love to see current F1 cars that look like a Lotus 49.

If NASCAR does a half a dozen road races in North America each year Look Out! They do 2 now, The Glen and Sears Point. God help open wheel racing, not to mention the Trans Am if they add Mexico City and 3 or 4 others. Lets say Mid Ohio and a Canadian race (Mosport?), Atlanta downtown street race, and dare I say Long Beach. I mention long beach because Toyota is the main sponsor and you will see a Toyota in NASCAR with in 5 years.

According to the guy's at BAR a lot of the Aero issues are down to rule intpretation in the car design, which some teams have done better than others. Also no quick fix either, so hard first part of the season for "Jents"

Keith

Hey Howard, I caught that race on UK TV today, and it kind of reminded me of a series we run in Europe. It's called FIA Truck Racing Championship. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just goes to show that Max is out to lunch on his ideas. Slow the cars down by limiting tires and moving the wings? He needs to go!

Keith

Pat, I thought that it was my birthday when Jean Marie Balestere was "retired" as he showed far too much favouritism to Renault, Ferrari and Michelin. Hello.....? Clunk clunk (penny dropping noises) Max seems to be carrying on this fine tradition in the FIA. Perhaps the Lure of the Latin Lira has been too much for him. I agree, time for him to sling his hook.

Back