Avon stops production.

Chris, if you end up being able to contact him, expanding your question beyond just the CR6ZZ would be appreciated! I’m sure at least a few folks here with wide bodies run tires from their motorsport “historic” product line (i.e., bias ply racing slicks). Including yours truly ;)
O.K., will do! I just hope to hear back.

/s/ Chris

Will the ns2s pass iva?
I'm French, I have no idea , but they(iva) could calculate through gearbox ratio, tyre development , and max revs, the potential speed of the vehicle , and check tyre rating from that base... and allow or not.
here in France on my mk3. , for that reason I went to 16 inch and W rated tyre to comply , but compared to most of the mk1 I have bicycle size tires and easy to find (vredestein 205:60:16 235/60/16 W and weight rate 96 front and 100 rear
Paul

The Nankang tyre mentioned above only has a speed rating of H which means max speed of the vehicle has to be 130 mph or less. So suggest not necessarily legit to use on our cars. At least in the UK that is.
Nankang also had some other tyres in other categories. There was one that had a more historic tread pattern.

I currently use the Avons on my GT40 MKII in the sizes 215 60 15 (front) and 295 50 15 (rear), and would be interested in what other people may be using. I am already aware of the BF Goodrich Radial T/As. This is a very good size for my car, so would like to keep any replacements as close as possible. I was also looking at the Mickey Thompsons, and, to show my ignorance, wasn't able to cross-reference the size and couldn't find a translator.

Thanks,
/s/ Chris

He is going to find out is there is any new info, but the news isn't great. They can't move the machinery used to make the CR6ZZ or any of the historic racing tyres, but as they don't want to upset the historic guys (because so many of them run modern race teams), they may look at selling it off like they did with Dunlop. There will be a stockpile of them that should last 2/3 years, but at the minute there is no guarantee that there will be any after that. He is going to speak to the guy in charge of the changes and see if they have finalised the plans.

He is going to find out is there is any new info, but the news isn't great. They can't move the machinery used to make the CR6ZZ or any of the historic racing tyres, but as they don't want to upset the historic guys (because so many of them run modern race teams), they may look at selling it off like they did with Dunlop. There will be a stockpile of them that should last 2/3 years, but at the minute there is no guarantee that there will be any after that. He is going to speak to the guy in charge of the changes and see if they have finalised the plans.

Thank you very much---I sent an email to Goodyear a few days ago for forwarding to Mr. Greg Stucker, the Director of Race Tire Sales, but haven't heard anything back yet.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

So.on the above subject spoke to a supplier who has a stock of tyres.he has said they have enough stock to.last to early next year .and no idea after that.

I have an account and checked: he has zero activity which means he probably never reads messages from LI.
Yes, I saw he had a Linked-In account, too, but I would've had to have set up my own account to use the account to contact him and didn't want to do that. Using the general Goodyear "email us with your questions" email did not even generate a message that my email had even been received.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I currently use the Avons on my GT40 MKII in the sizes 215 60 15 (front) and 295 50 15 (rear), and would be interested in what other people may be using. I am already aware of the BF Goodrich Radial T/As. This is a very good size for my car, so would like to keep any replacements as close as possible. I was also looking at the Mickey Thompsons, and, to show my ignorance, wasn't able to cross-reference the size and couldn't find a translator.

Thanks,
/s/ Chris

BFG TA's, you might just as well drill a hole in a hockey puck and bolt it to your car! OK on a 3600# muscle car, but deadly on a 2200/2500# GT.

Malcolm

Supporter
The BFG TAs were fitted to GTD 40s years ago before the supply of those dried up. They are pure street tyre with not a lot of grip for our cars. And on track they can overheat very quickly if you are pressing on a bit. Getting a tyre of the right size is one thing but getting one that is the right spec and has good performance for how our cars are used will be the really hard thing. The Avon fitted our needs very nicely.

No, Safir used BFG "Comp T/As" a very different tire than the "T/A". Different carcass, tread and compound. They were pretty good tires but have been out of production for over 20 years.

I remember that when I ordered my MKII from Superformance the standard tire was the Cooper Cobra. Does anyone remember the size---they currently make 295 50 15s for the rear, but not 215 60 15s for the front? So, far the BF Goodriches are the only tires I have found in both 215 60 15 and 295 50 15 (other than the Avons). Not to bash Avon, but I think they are best for people who track their cars or drive them hard on the street. Personally, I think the very limited tread depth makes them "feel" a bit like a worn tire in street driving.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Back