Avon tyres ready for ordering

Malcolm

Supporter
I was called today by Avon and sent the email below.

"First batch of tyres will be available end of next week and further batches will be made based on the interest shown. The sizes will be 295/50R15 and 275/55R15. Please call on 01225 703101 and ask for the Motorsport Department."

Unlike previous postings made by some others it is possible to also order these tyres direct from the factory as well as regular distributors.

Basically the thread I had been posting on about Avon tyres has come to fruition. Every possible question under the sun on these tyres has been covered in other threads so I will not be repeating any information to quesions posted here. Nothing personal but other things to be doing now! I have worked this for 2.5 years now so am buying my tyres and making my car road legal again!

Good on you and thanks for the info, Malcolm. Before I call, do you know if they will sell and ship to the USA?

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
JCoop said:
Good on you and thanks for the info, Malcolm. Before I call, do you know if they will sell and ship to the USA?

JCoop, you didn't happen to find out if they'll ship to the good ole' US of A did you? Thanks.

To anyone ordering the new 295 Avons, just be aware that they are 50 section height, the existing 245 tyres are 60 section, so there will be a rolling diameter difference which will affect chassis height and suspension geometry to some degree. Still awaiting Avons to publish a rolling diameter height which they say they will do after the current testing schedule is finished.

wealdenengineer said:
To anyone ordering the new 295 Avons, just be aware that they are 50 section height, the existing 245 tyres are 60 section, so there will be a rolling diameter difference which will affect chassis height and suspension geometry to some degree. Still awaiting Avons to publish a rolling diameter height which they say they will do after the current testing schedule is finished.

No, the rolling radius will be the same for both the 245/60 and the 295/50.

The tyre profile is listed as a percentage of the width, ie 245/60 profile is 60% of 245mm = 147mm

so a 295/50 tyre height is 147.5mm

I spoke to Avon about these tyres a while ago & a very informative chap explained the tyre mold for the 295's was the same as the 245 mold, but with an additional 50mm in the width, the sidewall remains the same.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thats great Julian, I must admit I just asked Avons the question and they said that they would publish the actual figures once testing was completed. If it is a direct height compatibility its just what we want, and well done Malcolm for pushing it. Frank

Malcolm

Supporter
If your chassis is ok with being level front to rear and your front wheel arch can take a 245 width tyre at that diametre then you are ok with a 245 width front. GTD's generally can't take a 245 front tyre especially at a 60 profile. It will hit things on bump and in steering. The cars were designed for a 215 60 15 and that is available to match these new rears. The next stage is to persuade Avon to make something like a 235 50 15 for the front which will improve turn in.

The GTD can be argued to handle better with a slight chassis angle rear to front. Standard set up is level. I normally run the rear about 0.5 inch higher than the front. Use what suits your application and driving style.

The moulds that Avon have for the 245 60 15 are not the same as the 295 50 15 or the 275 55 15. They did try to use the 245 mould with an insert but the centre of the tyre flopped or something like that happened. That is why it has taken so long as they had to justify new moulds which they now have and the 275 and 295 come from this new mould. At least that is what I think happened but the result is the same, at least we have some decent tyres for our cars!

Malcolm

Supporter
I have just had a fax from Avon giving fitting details of tehse new tyres. It is headed up Road Legal "E" marked Moulded Radial competition tyres

295/50/15, V rated, rim width 8.5 to 10.5 inches, 26.9 inch diametre, 12.2 inch section, 9.84 inch of tread and does 895 revs per mile, £194 plus vat

using the same order as above

275/55/15 V, 8 to 10, 26.9, 11.14, 9.06, 895, £188
245/60/15 V, 7 to 8.5, 26.65, 9.88, 8.66, 757, £164
215/60/15 V, 6.5 to 7.5, 25, 8.74, 6.97, 807, £147

All are in A29 copound.

These are the numbers from the fax I have been sent. I am dubious about the revs per mile figures supplied as they do not seem logical when compared to the tyre diametres!

I am aware that the initial batch is 20 tyres of each size (295 and 275s) and BMTR are getting all of them this time around. I have already bought 6 * 295's so if you want them hurry up and contact BMTR! They do not expect them to last long!

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
I now have my tyres in my garage and they look good!

Attachments

• IMG_1308a.JPG
    IMG_1308a.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 949

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Well done Malcolm, you came, you saw, you conquered rockonsmile

regarding the revs per mile, checking the figures, I would suggest that it should be 750 not 895 for the 275/55/15.

This is how I checked;

diameter is 275mm x 0.55 x 2/25.4 + 15in = 26.909in which suggests the diameter of 26.9 is ok

ft per rev of 26.9inch is 26.9in/12 x PI = 7.042ft
with 5280 ft in a mile, revs per mile is 5280/7.042 = 750 revs per mile.

Doing the same for the 245 and 215 tyres, and using the given diameters of 26.65in and 25in gives 757 and 807 to the nearest whole number respectively which agrees with the figures given.

Dave

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Just got an email response from David at BMTR. Unfortunately, they will not sell/deliver these tires to the US. Bummer.

Ron Earp

Admin
Just get a set delivered to one of our friendly UK buddies and send it on from there. I'm sure some guys would help you out on that. Any reason for not sending them? No DOT number?

Ron

Back