Best Street / Track motor

Who builds the best 427 sbf for the Superformance MK 1 that can be street driven in the Florida sun and still taken to the track for hot laps. Right now leaning towards the Keith Craft 427/585 motor. Any recommendation or thoughts would be appreciated.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
It's just MHO, but it wouldn't be a 427 windsor in a Mk I. It would be a 4.125x3.25 347c.i. in a 4 bolt main, 8.2" deck, alloy block, forged or billet crank, high dollar I-beam rods, JE forged pistons w/lightest pins money can buy, internal balance and a solid roller cam w/Crower HPPO lifters. AFR 205 heads with Jesel shaft mount rockers and the best valve springs money can buy (for God's sake don't use the stock AFR springs.)

But that's just me. It's your bicycle, you've got to decide how to pump up the tires! (My wife doesn't care how the tires get pumped up, as long as she gets to ride the bike. :cool:

Lynn

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I'm with you, Lynn. You've just described the short block I'm working on, slowly but surely. In my case, though, I'm going to use aluminum Cleveland heads and, of course, an "adaptor" intake manifold.

Love those Clevors!!

Doug

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn -

That is pretty much the way I went, 348 with big bore, 3.255 stroke.

Sandy

llarsen said:
It's just MHO, but it wouldn't be a 427 windsor in a Mk I. It would be a 4.125x3.25 347c.i. in a 4 bolt main, 8.2" deck, alloy block, forged or billet crank, high dollar I-beam rods, JE forged pistons w/lightest pins money can buy, internal balance and a solid roller cam w/Crower HPPO lifters. AFR 205 heads with Jesel shaft mount rockers and the best valve springs money can buy (for God's sake don't use the stock AFR springs.)

But that's just me. It's your bicycle, you've got to decide how to pump up the tires! (My wife doesn't care how the tires get pumped up, as long as she gets to ride the bike. :cool:

Lynn

Spot on Lynn - Roy Smart's GTD Mk1 was exactly that, but with much Modified TFS heads - Joe Fontana Alloy 4-bolt Clevor block - Crower Billet crank - Kinsler stacks - 1.7:1 rockers - Lunati cam - Aviad dry sump pump - Custom Ross forged Pistons - VERY nice to drive, on road or track!:)

On a similar vein - anyone got opinions on the Roush 427R ?? for a 40? - 4-Bolt Dart 9.5" 351 bored/stroked to 427, 550BHP/535ft/lbs...????? I'm due to 'slot one in' shortly and possibly mate to either ZFQ or G50...

Last edited:
I have a Kieth Craft 427 side oiler in my spf and I love it and I am very happy with Kieth Craft customer service. If i was doing a mk 1 I would look at the new ford racing boss 302 just released 500 h.p. @7800.
jerry mk2 gt40p2124

Back