Big Block vs Small Block

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
was something wrong with my metric or AF post a problem?

I only ever had old american cars and thats all AF, I did hear however if its 'newer' it would probbably run Metric. However, being a GT40 replica, I wondered if they replicated the AF system aswell or used everything in Metric. I thought it was a sensible post given the fact.

Funny you posted that video. Seen it a few times. Like how it does a spin in 1 spot to get back on track. Is that a BB car or SB car?

I dont get how it spun out... the tires werent even lit... weird.

Actually he's a New Zealander, they forgot about vowels. It probably spells something over there... ;p

Thank God for small miracles is about all that springs to mind.

Tim.

TGFSM... Thank God for Small Mercy's.... nothing to be dreaded or feared.... can be applied to most things that have a happy & peaceful outcome, even long debates with no clear ending or wayward water craft that reappear out of the misty clouds of cheese & alcohol. :):)

Hehe :)

Different people I realize but my suspicions here made me think twice about jumping into the dog box thread.

Tim.

Keith

was something wrong with my metric or AF post a problem?

I only ever had old american cars and thats all AF, I did hear however if its 'newer' it would probbably run Metric. However, being a GT40 replica, I wondered if they replicated the AF system aswell or used everything in Metric. I thought it was a sensible post given the fact.

Funny you posted that video. Seen it a few times. Like how it does a spin in 1 spot to get back on track. Is that a BB car or SB car?

I dont get how it spun out... the tires werent even lit... weird.

No, I was just being funny (well, trying anyway)... and,

289 on Webers with 180 degree crossover exhaust system. (Original car)

He spun out because he ran out of adhesion. Notice it is a public highway and very dusty, not the best surface for racing on..

Still don't know why crossover exhaust on a v8 with a 90 degree crank is referred to by some as 180 degree.
A flat plane v8 (180 degree) with "conventional" arrangement is equal pulse and I think that exhaust better deserves the 180 name.

I see crossovers called 180 everywhere so I accept common usage but it doesn't seem right to me.

I guess there are arguments for it - edit: deleted this bit, not sure it made sense, forgive me I'm tired. :)

Surely though an exhaust to suit a 90 degree crank would make more sense named a 90 degree exhaust and similarly for 180?
I have also read books referring to them my preferred way.
I guess it's one of those car things like low ratio diffs actually having a higher RATIO...

Tim.

Last edited:

Keith

Same here.. Jac will explain I'm sure...

I think I know the answer but I can't be assed... so someone go look it up for me :)

Actually thinking about it I think my deleted section was probably right. Effectively turns each side exhaust into a 180 degree crank 4 (and therefore being a 4 stroke 4 pulses in 720 degrees 180 degrees apart). Still, I think the reasoning I give for naming them as the cranks are named is better. Otherwise a conventional exhaust on a 180 crank is still a 180 exhaust.

Does that make sense or should I go to sleep...

Tim.

Last edited:
I'd use my WRX engine, a featherweight, 600bhp plus, loads of torque, very low and short. Width might be an issue though. :)

Hmm I do have a spare... ;)

Or perhaps one of my favorite engines the Nissan FJ20DET.

Seriously though, as a compromise between physical size, weight, capacity, sheer grunt and value I think it's hard to beat a Windsor, especially in alloy. Ron and I discussed this once and I found his argument along those lines quite convincing. And after all it's authentic.

Tim.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
If you want to play in the deep end you really need to know how to swim.

I wrote the opening and closing sentences especially for Alan. ;p

Thank you Tim... :)

Since I have a block on the Paddock, I thought this thread had died, but just found out some angel moved it to the Paddock.

TGFSM!

BTW, has it occurred to anyone that George could solve several problems at once if he would simply buy this car:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/34503-totaled-spf-gt40-replica-ebay-parts-spares.html

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
As for the OPs question. There are far too many variables in a car to say that a BB or SB is the better engine.

My advice would be to think very hard about what you want the car to do, write a list of wants and don't wants. Then take this list to an engine builder you trust, and let him advise you.

This is by far the best single piece of advice that has occurred in this entire thread, by a wide margin.

However, I notice that George has once again disregarded a critical part:

Take this list to an engine builder you trust, and let him advise you.

So I'll say it again:

George, you are never, ever, going to get to where you need to be by sitting at your computer exchanging posts.

You need to talk to someone.

Not e-mail, not text, not forum chat.

Talk to them, face to face about the pros and cons of each decision. You will accomplish in two hours what it will take weeks, if not forever, to do on this forum. If they just say "we'll build whatever you want" you've got the wrong builder.

And, by the way, surely somehwere in Australia is a GT40s.com member who would take a phone call, right? (Tim? You're overflowing with unconditional and unlimited common courtesy that you owe to anyone who asks, right?)

And by the way, why aren't you talking to RCR Australia about this? You're buying your chassis from them, right?

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
There is a lot to laugh along with in your post lol. :)
It's like this guy I knew... ;p

I think there is another principle that runs alongside those that you have stated.

Me or my car, don't know. All I got was harrumphing, derisive comments about fiberglass and statements like "what is that doing here, its not a rod". The organizer was very apologetic. That story was not meant to mean that I am firmly against rodders btw, I am not.

I'm starting to get very grumpy with this stupid device changing everything I write... I may have to come back to this later.

Oh and as for the lotus 40, Da Vinci had the front and rear wheels of his
"tank" turning in opposite directions... He was still a genius. ;)

"Another principle?" Why be so coy?

One "principle" is that sometimes you have to use a 2x4 to get a mule's attention.... But to misrepresent my posts and claim all I did was say "read a book" is in itself rude and dishonest... (Keith). So I'm not the only one with a "common courtesy" deficit on occasion. But at least I will admit it.

Grumpy with your device?... that's an area where I DO have a couple degrees. What's the problem? (You're no slouch if you're replacing your own power supplies, so what's up with that?)

Yeah, Yeah, Chapman was a genius. I think we're in violent agreement. I'm just saying even he mindlessly threw in a big V8 on occasion. That's my point about it not being a black/white issue.

There must be something wrong with the hot rod scene in Australia... you know, penal colony origins, etc. Maybe they need to read a book on common courtesy. ;)

IAE your organizer does owe you an apology for not thinking that through and "greasing the skids" socially.

All I know is that SoCal, the birthplace of hot rodding, loves GT40s (see other thread on public reactions) and my own brother is a hot rodder who absolutely adores them. Anything with a big V8 is welcome. So don't tar the whole community because of some local aberration.

Maybe you need to move.

Last edited:
Ok.
A principle, for those responding, of courtesy, benefit of the doubt and patience. "There's no such thing as a dumb question" may not always ring true but I think answers to questions, if asked in good faith, should be given with those things in mind. Your principles don't say much about the responsibilties of the responder.

It's an iPhone... 'nuff said... I am not always near a computer these days.

Penal colony! How dare you! Oh... yeah... Sorry, I thought you meant something else... ;)
(and anyway since anti-biotics hit the scene it doesnt have the same stigma. ;) )

I really don't have it in for hot rodders in general. I don't have anything against people
who put bigger power supplies in computers -
powersupplyinstallers, but it would annoy me if they claimed... Etc etc, see previous post. ;) I would feel that I had to remind them that what they were was not computer designers, they were "powersupplyinstallers". That is not derogatory use of the title.
Anyway, yes you are right, my beef is not with all hot rodders. When a particular person started writing in a magazine I had subscribed to since the
beginning I cancelled my subscription and have not renewed it.

Have you reached the bit where we stopped tramp tramping across the bridge? ;)

Funny you should mention moving. I think I might be saying hello to Mr
Morton and Mr Hardy etc soon. :)
It was going to be NZ but circumstances have changed.
Such a hard thing to decide, especially with kids. If we do it it will be for good.

Just noticed your edit(?) in your post previous to your last, about unlimited courtesy etc. I think it was supposed to be a jab but I'll take it as a compliment.

Tim.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
....I think answers to questions, if asked in good faith, should be given with those things in mind. ....

I think it was supposed to be a jab but I'll take it as a compliment..

Yeah well, I thought I did the whole patient, benefit of the doubt, good faith answer thing, a couple times, but it didn't work. (Of course certain people wouldn't know that if they didn't take the time to read all of my posts.)

When it got to "you owe me an answer because you have a degree and I don't and here's what teachers are supposed to do for student" it was just too much. My company used to charge CIA and NSA $150/hr for my time; I'm sure as hell not donating that to the citizens of Australia without a good reason. :lipsrsealed:

So then I pulled out the 2x4.

Seriously, the Q&A-by-forum-post method of learning this stuff simply will not work in this case. The lack of understanding is simply too profound, the questions formulated too badly, and the impatience for a quick answer too embedded. My advice to read books (and I was not the only one to make that comment) was not intended to blow him off, it was intended to save him a lot of time and get him to a point where he could make his own good decisions. I thought I was doing him a favor. I still do.

When a newcomer walks into a technical area with the idea that it's a lot simpler than it really is, the teacher has two problems, first to back the student out of the "over-simplifying" mentality, and then to begin the teaching process. I know from long experience with sales and marketing people in a technical environment that the newcomer does not want to hear that he's into something deeper than he thought, and I understand that feeling. So that first task always generates huge resistance from the student. Upshot: it's just too much for this communication format to bear.

What he's getting is a lot of good but diffuse advice mixed in with comments based on anecdotal experience, because the fundamental parameters of the problem he's trying to solve haven't been articulated, and because the choices aren't being discussed in abstract terms. I know everybody thinks they're helping but I really think they aren't except in an extremely inefficient way. Even if we got to a decison, let's say Windsor, then we're going into "webers or 4-bbl", and then "which camshaft" and then "what compression ratio". Clutches, transaxles, brakes, ... It's never going to end until an understanding of the underlying principles are in place. Excuse me but I have other ideas of what to do with the rest of my retirement.:)

Anyhow yes the unconditional unlimited common courtesy comment was a jab, but not at you....

I was serious about the phone call thing, but you're the only member or thread participant in "the land of wonder" that I could think of right then.

But more importantly I really really think the vendors or potential vendors should be doing this. It's their job. If I were with RCR Australia I'd be calling George every day (at least, once I'd qualified him as a viable cu$tomer ;)).

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Funny you should mention moving. I think I might be saying hello to Mr
Morton and Mr Hardy etc soon. :)
It was going to be NZ but circumstances have changed.

Do it! (I'm a confirmed/certified anglophile). I'm trying to figure out a way to move to the UK myself.

I can just hear our British friends spitting out their coffee right now...

Do it! (I'm a confirmed/certified anglophile). I'm trying to figure out a way to move to the UK myself.

I can just hear our British friends spitting out their coffee right now...

That would be tea old chap.....:thumbsup:

Roaldin...your 4cyl Jappa has a 180° exhaust when all four cylinders go into one collector, if it goes four into two into one its known as an interference design..

If you look at the firing order of a Ford with a 90° crank & then look closely at the GT40 crossover exhaust you would find that the cylinders fire into each collector occur @ 180° intervals, hence the 'name'. :):)

Back