Big Block vs Small Block

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Alan was right.

If I decided on going SB...

MY very next question was "whats going to be the best small block, Windsor or Clevland" :laugh: (alloy block ofcourse, with EFI, not the original thing). I notice Roush doing some good stuff? Is that a ford based motor built by roush or a roush = roush.

O dont worry about cam etc... I figured a car that can rev nice n fast, and as far as brakes go, Billet Alloy 6 piston calipers. Nothing less. I want the passanger going through the windscreen how hard it can brake. I got leads on those sort of components already. Shocks will be serious alloy monotube's guessing $4000-6000 for all 4. Got that part sorted out aswell.

Only thing I never got to bottom of was engine/gearbox. I know the gearbox will be in an alluminium casing, but, which 1, Tremeks, Richmonds, Jerichos etc. 6 speed ofcourse.

N then sequential or H patern. Think once i got those 2 components in my mind the rest is easy.

Alan was right.

MY very next question was "whats going to be the best small block, Windsor or Clevland" :laugh: (alloy block ofcourse, with EFI, not the original thing). I notice Roush doing some good stuff? Is that a ford based motor built by roush or a roush = roush.

O dont worry about cam etc... I figured a car that can rev nice n fast, and as far as brakes go, Billet Alloy 6 piston calipers. Nothing less. I want the passanger going through the windscreen how hard it can brake. I got leads on those sort of components already. Shocks will be serious alloy monotube's guessing $4000-6000 for all 4. Got that part sorted out aswell.

Only thing I never got to bottom of was engine/gearbox. I know the gearbox will be in an alluminium casing, but, which 1, Tremeks, Richmonds, Jerichos etc. 6 speed ofcourse.

N then sequential or H patern. Think once i got those 2 components in my mind the rest is easy.

You're best bet is to go with a Windsor. Clevelands are nice, but performance parts are not as easy to obtain. I know Clevelands had a better life in Australia, but there are more options with Windsors. For more confusion, you could go with a Windsor block and Cleveland heads - "Clevor". There are companies that make this option very doable.

Roush uses Ford blocks.

Transaxle - none of the above. Right now, you cannot get Tremec, Richmond or Jericho transaxles for mid engined cars. Also, 6 speeds really limit your options as well. For a 6 speed, you are looking at an RBT (ZF), Audi, Porsche, or Renault UN1 with a 6 speed conversion kit. The last one is getting hard to find and may not take the torque. A lot of the 6 speeds are quite long too, so you'll have to get dimensions to see if they will actually fit. You might have better luck with a good 5 speed - again, RBT/ZF, ZFQ, Audi, Porsche and Renault UN1, but you also might be able to get Mendeola, Ricardo, and even Hewland.

Ian

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I c

Well which 6 speed box does the 2005-06 GT use? That thing shifts with 1 finger how smooth it is.

If roush does the engine, would it then matter clevland/windsor or not as the engine gets built by them. Not me chasing parts, n its not the sort of thing u go chasing every year either?

O and Alan, not getting a company in Australia to build it because they dont offer CF Monocoque Chasis and CF Body to go with. That leaves Tornado to build my Hurricane:laugh:

I c

Well which 6 speed box does the 2005-06 GT use? That thing shifts with 1 finger how smooth it is.

If roush does the engine, would it then matter clevland/windsor or not as the engine gets built by them. Not me chasing parts, n its not the sort of thing u go chasing every year either?

O and Alan, not getting a company in Australia to build it because they dont offer CF Monocoque Chasis and CF Body to go with. That leaves Tornado to build my Hurricane:laugh:

My mistake - the Ford GT uses a Ricardo 6 speed. Probably your best option. Not sure how much above 550 HP/500 lbs ft it can handle without modifications.

Roush uses Windsors for his small blocks.

Ian

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

If that was directed at me because of the "talk to somebody face-to-face" comments, this just makes it even more urgent and shows you are missing a very important point.

You're going to have this thing built in England while you are in Australia?

You need to be planning a lot of long distance calls and some international travel. And you need your builder fully involved in engine selection. And that means you should be getting advice from your builder. Why is this not sinking in?

And why is Andy Sheldon not supervising this discussion? Helllooo Andy, there's a call for you....

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Transaxle - none of the above. Right now, you cannot get Tremec, Richmond or Jericho transaxles for mid engined cars.

(FWIW, BTW Jerico make T44s)

But, we have to have a six-speed behind our stroked windsor because the powerband is going to be how wide? :huh:

Oh, I know. Because six is a larger number than five. Now I get it.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan was right.

Believe me George, I'm not worried about cam, etc. I'm worried about traffic safety in Australia in a few months.

But yeah, you've completely figured out everything, you got yer brakes, you got yer shocks, all you need to do is choose a block and a transaxle and a shift pattern and you're good to go. The rest is easy. Just order all that up over the internet and bolt it all together.

Last edited:

Why stick with conventional 6? A lot of people use Audi transmissions; go with one of those new Audi 7 speeds. I bet you can even have one of those vendors make the casing out of carbon fiber... remember, lightness rules all.

Kevin

Keith

Ok.
A principle, for those responding, of courtesy, benefit of the doubt and patience. "There's no such thing as a dumb question" may not always ring true but I think answers to questions, if asked in good faith, should be given with those things in mind. Your principles don't say much about the responsibilties of the responder.

It's an iPhone... 'nuff said... I am not always near a computer these days.

Penal colony! How dare you! Oh... yeah... Sorry, I thought you meant something else... ;)
(and anyway since anti-biotics hit the scene it doesnt have the same stigma. ;) )

I really don't have it in for hot rodders in general. I don't have anything against people
who put bigger power supplies in computers -
powersupplyinstallers, but it would annoy me if they claimed... Etc etc, see previous post. ;) I would feel that I had to remind them that what they were was not computer designers, they were "powersupplyinstallers". That is not derogatory use of the title.
Anyway, yes you are right, my beef is not with all hot rodders. When a particular person started writing in a magazine I had subscribed to since the
beginning I cancelled my subscription and have not renewed it.

Have you reached the bit where we stopped tramp tramping across the bridge? ;)

Funny you should mention moving. I think I might be saying hello to Mr
Morton and Mr Hardy etc soon. :)
It was going to be NZ but circumstances have changed.
Such a hard thing to decide, especially with kids. If we do it it will be for good.

Just noticed your edit(?) in your post previous to your last, about unlimited courtesy etc. I think it was supposed to be a jab but I'll take it as a compliment.

Tim.

Holy crap Tim. You have the cojones? I love this country - we are (almost) the best at everything and you and your family would be very welcome. South is the way to go but wherever you go, we are much underrated people and have a pretty bad press but that is because we can take a joke against ourselves... (and we really don't give a shit). You'd fit right in mate!

PS I love that trip trap trip trap stuff you bugger!

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Alan, I said that to you because you said "You are getting RCR Australia to build it right?"

And so in response to that, I said, no, reason being, because they dont offer what I want to pay for.

How did that result in a reply as though I offended you or said something bad?

And how is it not easy? Im not going to be the 1 putting the car together, people that work with this stuff will be putting it all together, so there is no problem. If you seen what Pure Vision, XV etc do with Mopars, then ud understand why Im looking at a car as 'anything can be done' if the person is willing to pay for it to get done/fitted/fabricated to work. I remember a Cuda built that went as fast as a Enzo around an oval track. For a muscle E body to go 220mph shows anythings possible.

And no, 6 speed not because its 1 more than 5. Even though that may be partly true, it would be pretty silly if that was the only reason. Considering Im wanting to get a HyperCar out of the GT40, 6 speed is a must + it gives 1 extra gear for OD making the gearing on the car a little bit more selectable, I could go higher in the ratio for a little better acceleration, this sacrifices top speed, so, to gain that top speed back, add 1 gear more. 4 speed if was geared for acceleration would run out of gear on top end, this is why 6 speed IS better and why all hypercars use 6 speed. 5 Isnt even in the equation. Since the car is getting built from the chasis up, why waste money on worse when it could have just started out with the 6 to begin with? O Wait a a sec, even the GT uses 6 cause factories understand its better... guess U still got a ways to go, I mean, all these dumb factories doing everything ur making fun of, maybe u should be a car builder and show the world how to build them since they all got it wrong... perhaps then we wouldnt have gone past 1960 technology... Now i get it all.

And the Moderator doesnt have to do anything to the post, It was usefull information to me which has helped me get down to certain choices, so get over yourself. Dont like what u read cause ur Holier than Thou attitude, dont read. Pretty straight forward. I know this has been usefull to me, probbably not to u cause, u know, u already know everything, but its helped me learn much even if u dont see how cause ur tunnel vision prevents u looking outside the square. And ofcourse, how could I forget, you are self taught, you learned everything without asking anyone anything, n hence I should be doing the same because, well, your the divine guidance on how everyone should be, congratulations, want a Medal for your unrecognised effort? And I already told you I did read much, and I already asked many engine builders here what I wanted n the general responses are "BB will eat the SB for breakfast, SB will be more responsive than a BB" n thats about as far as anythig got down here. Guess in all that self teaching u went through u didnt learn to listen or read very well. Go practice that some and u wont keep pointing out stuff thats been dealt with simply cause u MISSED reading it. We done now? Good.

And Kevin,whats up with the whole CF bla bla bla ?

Your talking like its stupid.

I guess Enzo ferrari, Pagani Zonda, Koenigsegg, Mclaren ETC are ALL Stupid because they all use CF Bodies, CHasis, Interiors, Engine bits, wherever possible. O and seeing Mopars at SEMA Like the Cuda etc are all morons aswell for custom laying it all with Carbon FIbre.

Lets all stick to stock parts, anything outside of that is retarded.

What u dont get is...

I planned on 150 000-200 000 on a car. Will that buy me an Enzo/Koenigsegg etc? No, will it buy me a GT40 equivalent in part material? YES.

O wait a sec... My goal was to make the GT40 like a hyper car... cant do that without CF...

U build urs how u want, let me make mine unique how I Want.

Can a GT40 be built for ALOT less? Yes obviously CF aint cheap and probbably not neccessary... however, wanting the Hyper Car feel... a Hyper car costs 1 milion+. Is a 200 000 Equivalent GT40 now worth it? YES cause im getting a hypercar feel for 200k not for 1 milion+ and looks better at the same time.

Considering I was willing to buy a Diablo for 200 000, with the GT40 I will get WAY more car in Hyper Car form for the same price of a Diablo which is nowhere near light or anything like a CF car. So to me it makes TOTAL sense considering I was planing to spend around that much money for something that did not consist of all CF where usable. So the sarchastic comments can now cease?

Thanks Ian and Roaldin and others for trying to help me by answering as good as you could the very thing asked. ANd the hell with the rest of you jokers that had nothing usefull in regards to the question but rather insulted and abused the Poster. We call that RANDOM TROLLS down here.

Last edited:
Thanks Jac. Yeah, that's what I got to in the end and it does make sense. I was without sleep and was half delirious I think. :)

Alan, I have not seen the other threads you mentioned so I accept that you probably have given a lot of time to this. Still, if it were me I would have just stopped responding.
Anyway if you worked for the CIA then you will already have everybody's phone/email etc recordings and can decide for us once and for all if Trolls are afoot... Or is that Newscorp...? ;)
I now imagine you as De Niro in Meet the Fockers. ;p

Keith - I don't know, it really is a tough decision but we are considering it seriously. The whole thing would be quite traumatic but perhaps if I could borrow your vessel for a couple of days... ;p

Tim.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
so I accept that you probably have given a lot of time to this. Still, if it were me I would have just stopped responding.

That's OK, we all have different ways of entertaining ourselves...

And, I didn't and don't want to be on record physically or in my own imagination as having supported this enterprise and its methodology, once I determined how bankrupt it is.

You be careful down there, and watch out for carbon fibre GT40s.... Better yet go to England. You and your family will be safer there.

Last edited:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys

I am not getting into the mud slinging that is going in this thread but having been through the whole quagmire and bureaucracy that is our ADR's and RTA laws in NSW Aust and now going through it again, I do believe that someone is in for a major eye opening shock regarding getting registered and on the road.

I don't think the public need worry about their safety on the roads.

Dimi.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Dimi,

I pursued this because I may have a leg in the door through some contacts that know some engineers that well... will engineer this car as long as

x-y-z is provided to them to give me the report.

Ive run this whole idea to the Engineer, and well... I might be in luck.

Btw- a carbon fibre car is as safe as 3600lbs Muscle car.

In fact, the more power a car has the safer it actualy is because it can get out of a sticky situation where a powerless car can not.

Now thats dealing with the 'car' itself.

The reason Cars with power become dangerous on the road is not because of the car but because of the idiot sitting behind the wheel of that car.

Ive driven powerfull cars, u know what speed i was doing? No more than a Civic. Just cause its 'got it' dont mean u gotta 'use it'. Im an extremelly sensible driver, never caused an accident, never try overtaking ppl due to rush, I just sit back and relax, get there when u get there. In fact i been called "Grand pa" driver cause im THAT cautious. Would a High powerfull car be dangerous in my hands or the community? Definatelly not. Its actualy safer than a weak car given if u HAD to get out of something u had the engine capability to do so.

Thats what ppl dont get. Stupids crash powerfull cars n then "the cars dangerous". No, the cars safer than a weak car, its the moron driving it that makes it dangerous. I aint one of those morons. The only place I will risk 'using' the power is gonna be Eastern Creek raceway where its safe.

Im not a person that likes doing risky things where my life is jepordized or even better, my wifes. N seeing all the P platers in sydney driving there 4 cylender turbod cars 140+ kmh in an 80 zone makes me sick because all of us normal drivers get punished with shit they do by adding new speed zones, new roundabouts etc... not to mention inocent ppl end up dead or in hospital cause of these IDIOTS.

Powerful car = safer than weak car
Powerful car in WRONG hands = dangerous as its got what the moron will give it.

To be honest, I think the whole "big block or small block" thing isn't really a big deal on a GT40. It's kind of like saying "do you want three or four titan rockets powering you and your lawn chair into space?" It doesn't really matter, you're going to be going faster than you can imagine with either.

The small block is going to be easier to install, less expensive, have loads of torque and horsepower, sound great, and do just fine. Put a stroker kit in it, along with good heads and internals, and enjoy a solid 400+/400+ tq/hp.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Cliff it was more or less to know which one would get to space faster lol. I wanted to cap power at a certain spot but at the same time wanted to know there was 'nothing better' I coulda got. Meaning it would have been the best combo possible at that power. That way I would know its number 1 not "well it could have been better'.

But SB does make sense. The whole point of the GT40 was a light/fast car that could handle, to then stick a BB thats used to push 3600lbs cars in it... defeats the purpose as its adding weight to a car that was designed to lose weight. THanks though, btw, Id like the 4 titan rockets :laugh:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Go pick up a used AWD Gallardo for $100k, send it off to UGR or Heffner with another $100k for a TT kit and for $200k you could absolutely annihilate any GT40 no matter how much you have spent on it young man.

And Kevin,whats up with the whole CF bla bla bla ?

Your talking like its stupid.

Sigh...

No, I don't think CF is stupid although I do think this thread is and I unfortunately had a bit of scotch (twice) and I let my sarcasm come out.

What is too bad is that you have received a huge amount of great advice but you missed most of it. Should you actually have the funds to initiate this project (my suspicion is you do not) I hope whoever builds it/starts it, doesn't take all your money and leave you with a heap of bits halfway across the world.

Funny, I define the term Random Trolls differently. I reserve my definition for those that recently join a message board and within three weeks start calling the integrity of long time forum members into question. We obviously will have to agree to disagree on this definition. Fortunately these threads, and often the OPs, are usually like fireworks. There is a huge surge of activity and threads, and they they die out and nothing comes of it.

[Sarcasm]
If you really want a hypercar go attach three JATO rockets to it and hold on JATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[/Sarcasm]

Kevin

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Darrell

Mate, we may have done it wrong, but at the end of the day we are driving our 40's around and enjoying them.

Dimi

Back