'Bowl Trays' & Flame Arresters

\'Bowl Trays\' & Flame Arresters

Does anyone have any reference companies where I can purchase the pelenium chamber shut out panel or 'bowl tray' and flame arrester kit for the Weber 48 IDF from? I'm going for originality (no luck with the 'race style' valve covers with the raised ventaltion boxes either). Who made these items back in the 60's? Do they still exsist?

I'm finishing my 289 and was wondering where I could find these items. I've searched the internet but with no luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks!

Chris
RCR

Re: \'Bowl Trays\' & Flame Arresters

Sugar box style valve covers???
Try James Giovani...tell him Fran sent ya.
(248) 324-4217 or (248) 705 3586.

By the way how many cars has Mark sent to you ?

Hi Fran,

Thanks, I'll look into that and see what I can find.

Mark and I have been drowning in Canadian red tape (no not duct tape!! ha! I'll explain later...)

By the end of August I will (without the B.S.) hope to have 2 packages send over - mine car and another customer. Canada Customs/Transport Canada have been very helpfull in assisting Mark and I with brining the MDA cars here. Too long the list of details so if you would like to read more then let me know and I will send info your way ASAP.

Thanks for your help!

Chris
RCR

Hi Fran,

I'm not sure what designation the valve covers came under but I will look into your sugesstion. FYI ONLY - The Dish tray around the base of the carbs is a pelenium chamber shut out panel or bowl tray is an ingenious device that has two fucntions: One is to shut the lower engine area away from the air intake pelenium chamber and therefore draw on clean air brought in by the side intakes. It also keeps hot air rising from the motor itself and the exhaust system which is usually running at 450+ degrees when racing!

Sometimes cars have a rubber seal on the edge of it to seal against the underside of the body to shut any hot air getting up into the fresh air area.

The panel on top of the carbs is a flame arrester. The webers have a tendancy to spit back (especially IDAs) and flame up the carb and there is little to prevent the flame jumping back. If your not wearing an air filter, then the cough of fuel back up against the window (plastic!) can be set light! The main jets have owners set the jets too high or they have the fast idle set too open. This even on throttle shut down, allows unused fuel to wash the bore, which can detonate and either spit back or worse, blow your motor, usually by ring failure and scoring on the bores.

Just a heads-up.

Chris
RCR

I know Vic Antkowiak has a turkey pan for both his Weber set up and his F,I set up for his CAV.
I am sure he purchased at least one of them through the forum.
We dont have those kind of problems with the IRL team that I work with....although when our fuel burns you cant see it...methanol is a real bugger.
Not recommended for GT40'S with Webers.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

whilst your on the topic of building a 289 replica - can u take a momoent to explain to me why most people chose to go for a 302 engine even though when i study the specs of the originals i see they were either 289 or 427.......?

The 289 engines were built till 1967, thus the good crankshafts are getting difficult to find. The 302 with it's longer stroke offers a little more Torque and there are plenty used ones available and new pieces are offered.

Vic

right that explains it! the 289s are no longer available!
302 it is then

Hi

Does anyone have a clear photo of an original panel that sat on top of the Webers (the flame arrester). And is this held on by two 'V' shaped brackets fixed to the centre of the FoMoCo inlet manifold?

Thank in advance.

Rob

I have built three cold air boxes for the CAV cars with the getreg transaxle and fuel injection, and sold two of them to guys on the forum and have one on my car. The box is very specific to the type of car and intake. I will soon be able to offer the cold air box for CAV cars with ZF boxes as I am in the process of converting my car over to the ZF. My set-up will probably not work on other cars as fit-up to the underside of the rear body and clearence by the headers is real close.

Pedro

Supporter

Don’t know if these are the parts everyone is referring to but if someone is making them I will be interest, picture is from the parts manual

Attachments

• 41530-webber.jpg
    41530-webber.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 990

Awesome! I've had numerous replies that I am looking into with respect to specs, pricing and availablity, which I will share with everyone as soon as I can.

Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That diagram was awesome Pedro - thanks.

There is a fabricated intake plenum on racingicons.com. Not sure if they make them but they may be able to help. Scroll down to images 13 and 14.

Racing Icons

Cheers.

Rob

I know a guy here in St.Louis area that makes the "Turkey Pans "for cobras, He might be able to help. Send me a PM Thanks Rich

Back