Old or what ??

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Here are some more for the older than dirt quiz.
Who or what ?

21. The N.S. Savannah
22. TSR2
23. SRN1
24. Telstar
25. Eric Laithwaite
26. Sir Frank Whittle
27. Frank Lloyd Wright
28. Francis W. Davis
29. John Bakhus
30. Christopher Barnard

How about Walnettos, The Shadow, Chore Balls, Collecting milk bottle tops and making games with them, skates with metal wheels for the street, vacant lots with lots of weeds and grass bomb fights, .03 letters and .01 post cards, A,B,andC gas stickers on your windshield and red and blue tokens required when buying meat, butter and shoes, etc. etc. I am definitely "ancient".

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
My, My. Quite a fun thread really. Surely, a slightly better tone than some I can mention.

"and don't call me Shirley".

Keith

Er, this is a bit embarassing but does any (guy) here remember...

Liberty Bodices? You know, the ones with the rubber buttons? :love:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
No Kieth, in the late fifties /early sixties, I spent my formative years in what was the former West Germany. The fräuleins (I can still remember most of their names ) were such great fun whilst the English females seemed a little, how shall I put this, slow? by comparison. Liberty - they certainly eschewed that but I don't remember them wearing kinky things. I do remember the Cuba crisis vividly as it really did impact on us as dependant families in W. Germany and in the middle of the night we were told to pack a small bag and some food and we would be picked up with buses to drive to the Hook of Holland , and I also remember exactly where I was when I was told about the Kennedy assasination. In a hay loft at the riding school.
With a fräulein.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Uh Oh.
Kero lanterns, Kero fridge, Kero TV :laugh:
Villiers motor powered washing machine with "safety" ringer
Lux wood burning stove incl. oven and water heating --still a master of the axe, specially when it comes to splitting "mallee roots"
The out house -or long drop.
Boots and clothes that you had to grow into
Work from sun up to sun down and no whinging......................

How about wax lips and wax teeth!!! Howdy Doody, Clarabell the clown and Mr. Bluster, Winky Dink, Cat eyes and steelys, Chocolate and stwaberry flavored straws, Dental holidays, pump filled ink pens, diathermy machines, and metal stirrips(for you girls), non disposable needles(read reusable), air raid drills, split windshields, playing cards on bicycle spokes, wax paper for slides. Flipper hub caps, fenderr skirts, pin stripped tires, steering wheel knobs, colum shifts, I coould go on and on......
I am not older than dirt, but I am older than aluminum foil!!

Bill

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
So Dave M,
oh that kind of'riding' school then?:cheesy:

I remember;

good things

the lovely foil topped, glass bottled orange juice that was delivered with the milk. Don't forget that this was an electric float, so electric vehicles aren't as new as people think.

Buses with conductors?

Trolley buses.

Road sweepers and drain cleaners - don't see any of those these days, just filthy roads that are flooded in rain because the drains are blocked.

bad things

Our first terraced house had a row of 3 or 4 commode toilet huts outside. The tubs were exchanged for fresh ones buy guys who came in a lorry and took it all away. They sat in the back with this stuff - eeuuh

Second house had an outside cistern toilet about 30 yds from the house, well I remember one day, I had to stand on the seat to reach the chain, slipped and got a shoefull of my own!

Getting whacked with a ruler behind the knees for making some smartass comment at school, and having my mouth washed out for saying 'bugger', and all this at primary school, probably while Dave M was shagging frauleins in the hay loft "ooooh David, das war wunderbar":thumbsup:

fluffy things

Another random one, watching the Red Army choir on TV. Black and white of course 'Kaaaaaaaaalinka Kaaalinka Kalinka moya - '

Rag Tag and Bobtail, The Flowerpot Men, and Andy Pandy
Noddy
Mr Pastry
Morecambe and Wise
The Goon Show
TV National anthem, and the test pattern

Last edited:

Keith

Pictures always tell the story...

Attachments

• Angelina.jpg
    Angelina.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 164
  • BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Beatles.jpg
    Beatles.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Bruce Lee.jpg
    Bruce Lee.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Charlie Chaplin.jpg
    Charlie Chaplin.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 176

Keith

More......

Attachments

• Clint.jpg
    Clint.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Curtis Lemmon.jpg
    Curtis Lemmon.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Don Johnson.jpg
    Don Johnson.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Dylan.jpg
    Dylan.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Elton.jpg
    Elton.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 142

Keith

More still...

Ps The JFK/MM picture never been seen before (it is alleged)

Attachments

• Elvis.jpg
    Elvis.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Freddie.jpg
    Freddie.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 153
  • George Clooney.jpg
    George Clooney.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Jane.jpg
    Jane.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 155
  • JFK.jpg
    JFK.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 178

Keith

Still more......

Attachments

• Madonna.jpg
    Madonna.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 149
  • Minelli.jpg
    Minelli.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 144
  • MM.jpg
    MM.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 172
  • Sean Connery.jpg
    Sean Connery.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Star Wars.jpg
    Star Wars.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 163
Keith, you never cease to amaze me mate. Great stuff. As for all the other posts....a trip down memory lane is never a bad thing IMO.....maybe that's why this forum exists in the first place. Remember when we fell in love with a car called the GT40.

Back