Brake pedal pressure

As I work up all the vital aspects of my Mclaren (oops McCopy) I have made a change to my brake cylinders. I have very good strong responsive brakes with a soft pedal. There is major work to change the ratio (6 to 1) and I was running 3/4 master cylinders and wanted 2 things ...less travel and more pedal feel / hardness/ pressure.
I changed to 7/8 cylinders and have not experianced any real change.
Any clues.
Cheers
Russell

Attachments

• Mc Copy Widescreen.jpg
    Mc Copy Widescreen.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 234

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah!

Are you running 'rubber' flexible lines or aeroquip type braided stainless steel reinforced lines? If rubber go to the s/s braided. If s/s braided go to yet bigger m/cyls.

Glad you are getting into the 'fine tuning' details. I am envious of your progress.

Cheers,

Russ

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
One other thing Russell, check that your caliper mounts are parallel to your rotors. If not you will have increased pedal travel and some softness as the calipers/pistons/pads distort to take up the excess clearance/misalignment.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Russell - It sounds like she's still got just a bit of air in the system... I've had some that were just a bear to get totally clear..

One thing that seems to help is to PING the calipers or mounting bolts with a small ball-pein hammer 5 or 6 times or so before each "easy" stroke of the brake pedal. This has the benefit of shocking any clinging air-bubbles to the top where they can be bled from the system. This is all presuming that your bleeder valves are all at the very tops of your calipers..

Last edited:
Russel:
Suggestions from Russ and Randy are very relevant. A 3/4 master cyl, with a 6 to 1 pedal ratio should produce roughly 1360 psi., a lot of pressure and I can see why this would cause a spongy pedal. A jump to 7/8 master cyl. brings you down to approx 1000 psi., a 27% drop in pressure...you should definitely feel a change in pedal firmness here unless you have a problem with air or line expansion as was mentioned.
I am assuming you are running a balance bar, and you might have a problem with one part of the system, front or rear. You may need to isolate them and check which is the culprit.
I would guess that going to 1" masters may not give you enough braking pressure, but not knowing the size of your caliper pistons it is hard to hazard a guess.
I would take the two recommendations from Russ, and Randy and make sure you have all the air out of the calipers, and if your bleeders are not in a top position you may need to move them to a position to acheive that, then re-set them where they are mounted.
Hope this helps
Phil

Russel, are you pads fully bedded in? It can take a good 500+ miles to properly bed the pads in. If not fully bedded you'll experience a little bit of softness, perhaps not quite all of what you're feeling there but possibly part of it.

Back