BRM pin drive wheels

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I want to run these wheels on my car and wish to make enquiries to P S Engineering mentioned in other threads on this subject. Does anyone have an email address for Phil Schmidt or a fax number? Failing that , where is he located so I can work out the time difference to contact him at a suitable hour? I'm looking for 15" rims, 10" and 14". I have checked out Vintage Wheels, Jongbloed, Compomotive, Team 3 and Image.What good suppliers have I missed? Cost and weight are the main cosiderations after original looks. Help on this one much appreciated.

Regards,

Russ

I don't think Phil does email but you can call him on : -
001 310 534 4477
That number includes the country code from the UK.
I'm pretty sure that they are based in California.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Phil can be tough to reach but well worth the effort. Try calling when he opens shop, around 8:00AM PST.

Sep23_012.jpg

I have I guess what you would call kind a "composite" wheel. Bill Jongbloed produced several sets of BRM style wheels in the 90's. They used a cast aluminum center (which I understand ERA owns the mold for now), and Jongbloed spun aluminum rims. The set I bought were 16x9.5 fronts and 16x12 rears. Since 16 inch street tires for a 12 inch wheel were virtually non-existant, I sent the rears back to Jongbloed and had the diameter increased to 17". Same centers. When he spun the new rims, he tapered part of the rim which gives somewhat of an illusion of a smaller wheel.
With the 3 piece wheel, many rim sizes and offsets are doable. I could have went to 15" if desired....or can do so down the road with new rims on these centers.

I think Jongbloed uses it's own BRM style center done in magnesium now.

As 16 inchers...
16280685-cb6f-02000182-.jpg

As 17 inchers:
23188775-3d31-02000180-.jpg

On the completed car:
33630392-ab9d-02000180-.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
I talked to him about wheels about 6 months ago because someone had suggested a group purchase to me. He will cast those same BRMs for anyone, so I don't think ERA is privvy to the only ones of that casting. Might be wrong though and not told the whole story. At any rate, the current pieces look the same. Ron

May or may not be the same mold Ron, don't know for sure. I do know when I sent them back to Jongbloed in 2001 or 2002 to have the 17" rims spun, they noted that the rims were theirs (Jongbloed), but the centers were not.

Here's what the inside looks like...
16280682-788c-02000182-.jpg

I learned from Peter at ERA that Jongbloed had built 3 or 4 sets of the wheels at the time and that ERA ended up buying the mold for the center casting.

Jongbloed was interested in selling me a complete second set with their magnesium centers. No doubt!!!
The price quoted then was about $800 per.

I lucked into this set that a gentleman from Texas had purchased to go with a car he ordered from ERA. He subsequently canceled the car and the wheels laid in his attic for several years.
Sort of like one of those lucky finds in someones barn.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Phil can be tough to reach but well worth the effort. Try calling when he opens shop, around 8:00AM PST.

[/ QUOTE ]

I managed to get hold of him at long last and have ordered my wheels. In one of his converations he said he had been there since 6:30AM. Still it is very,very frustrating at 2 to 3AM NZ time being frequently unsuccessful at being able to talk to him personally rather than his answerphone. However the reason I am posting this is because contrary to what the US directory service said when they were contacted, and to add to the information on this site, Phil does in fact have a fax number which should eliminate many of the problems of communicating in different time zones. For the benefit of those wishing to contact him in the future this could be another avenue to try:-

Phil Schmit Fax(310) 534 4977

Hope this is of benefit to someone.

Regards

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
You could try these.... Had a quote for £650 per front (10") £750 per rear (12") about 2 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Doc I take it that's not a serious suggestion!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I could too, but that is 2800 pounds sterling, which at current exchange rates is NZ$7400 + freight + 12.5% GST on the lot. That would be about $NZ9000 Thats about a quarter of my budget for the entire car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

PSE, for a set of 10's and 14's, has quoted $US1650 which translates to $NZ 2300 + freight + GeSTapo tax or about $NZ3250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Can't wait to get them, they must be just about ready to ship /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards

Russ, When you have the 14s in hand, please post a few photos. I would like to see how they look with and without tires.

Thanks,

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Faili, that'll be a whole new learning curve! They should arrive in 2 - 3 weeks. I'll see what I can do. I won't be getting tyres til later in the year. I needed the rims now so I can build my uprights and organise my brakes. I'll be getting the tyres when I'm ready to build the body. That'll be after I've built the chassis. By the way Phil said I've got his last two 14" wheels, something about not being able to get any more 14" rims spun. I don't know whether this is just a temporary situation or not.

Regards

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Faili, finally posted the pics. See my "Kiwi scratchbuild" on the Builders Forum. Will be ordering the tyres shortly.

Regards

Back