Bryan's RCR40

Finally got my doors hung and it feels like a breakthrough.

Before the hinges can be installed the door must be in the correct position and that's what took the most time. Then you can center the hinge location and install the hinge on the chassis.

DoorHinges1.jpg

DoorHinges2.jpg

With the doors in position a 1/4" spacer was needed behind the hinge on each side to place the hinge pins in the center of the door lands. Initially I installed the hinges with 1/4" bolts. This will make adjustments easier. Once I am sure of the correct location I will install 5/16" bolts instead and maybe add two bolts in the holes that aren't slotted.

DoorHinges3.jpg

I opted for a single long stainless bolt which is un-threaded throughout the pivot points. This also makes it easier to install and remove the doors and the nylon spacers.

DoorHinges4.jpg

DoorHinges5.jpg

DoorHinges6.jpg

I found the location for the lower pivot point on the door with a dab of red paint on a portion of a 1/2" bolt. I placed it in the lower hinge and then with the door in place I raised it up to touch the bottom of the door.

DoorHinges7.jpg

With the bolt installed I put some silicone sealant on the lower hinge plate and let it dry up against the bottom of the door to get the location perfect. This step was probably unnecessary.

DoorHinges8.jpg

It's nice to finally have the doors attached. I'm working on limiting straps now.

DoorHinges9.jpg

Fitting the doors will be a big job but I feel like I have a solid basis now.

How is the car progressing Bryan?
In spite of my lack of posts I am working on it every day and it's progressing well. But I am working primarily on the body, just getting the panel fit as close as I can get it, and that for me is a very slow process.

Ya, I saw that. That seems like a little bit better way of delivering that how Factory 5 does it. I'm toying with the idea of starting one when I get my 66 fastback project done.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Due to the quality and availability issues with the Quaife gearbox I decided to go with the RBT and it arrived today.

View attachment 115549
Brian,
I see you have the setup for external clutch operation. Could you post some detailed pictures of the parts and how they are installed (bearings in the gearbox housing, clutch release bearing, etc.)?

I have the internal setup but plan on switching back when the next leak occurs.....

Thanks in advance
Markus

Brian,
I see you have the setup for external clutch operation. Could you post some detailed pictures of the parts and how they are installed (bearings in the gearbox housing, clutch release bearing, etc.)?

I have the internal setup but plan on switching back when the next leak occurs.....

Thanks in advance
Markus

Markus,
The RBT came with the shaft installed. With the Quaife I had planned to use an internal hrb but now I am reconsidering. I consider the external slave preferable so I too need to learn more about it. So, sorry that I can't be of much help.
Bryan

Today makes one year since I received my car. I thought I would be further along by this point but I am still satisfied with the progress so far. There's a lot more to do than I had imagined.

I just finished getting my Quaife bellhousing dialed in. Details here. I reinstalled the engine and installed the pilot bearing and clutch. Verified that the bellhousing can be installed and removed with the engine and clutch in place. Barely! Measured the clutch finger position and set up the release bearing collar. Now working on the clutch release geometry, which is a lot easier with the bellhousing attached to the transaxle out of the car. Then I will be ready to install the transaxle. I will post photos of the external clutch release setup soon.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Today makes one year since I received my car. I thought I would be further along by this point.....

Ha!!! You're pretty funny... Get used to disappointment!

I am still satisfied with the progress so far. There's a lot more to do than I had imagined.

The most important thing is to enjoy the build. Mine has taken me (**FAR**) longer than you but it has taught me huge lessons and made me some excellent friends. I understand the desire to get it moving but as long as you're having fun with where you are, live in that moment.

Once it's running you won't remember how long it took you to get it there.

Thank you, Chris. I am actually enjoying the process but sometimes the delays and setbacks test my patience. I am making progress so that's positive and you're right, there are some great people on this forum and that has been an unexpected pleasure.

Back