Build Diary - RCR Lola T70 Spider

From these pictures, I can’t quite get a perspective of where the deck height of the rear bodywork is going to end up, but I’m assuming that you’ll want to get the inlet up into “clean” air. How about something like this combination, Ron?

K&N now makes filters for these scoops, which makes them a lot more practical for endurance-type applications.

Harwood, CSR, and K&N products areavailable from many vendors on the net, and I'm sure that you can find other similar products as well

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Stan,

I like that, I'll look for those. I assume some sort of panel filter fits into the rectangle area?

I think the carb top is just going to come clear from the body work by about two inches. Now, there is enough room for a big round filter for sure, but having a little attitude and some fresh air would be good!

Found this one on ebay, pretty sweet!

Ron

Attachments

• 0e05_1.JPG
    0e05_1.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,402
Ron Earp said:
Hey Stan,

Found this one on ebay, pretty sweet!

Ron

Now I know why Malcolm wanted the Toilet Roll Holder!! Might need a PUKE can for the drivers as well if they have to look at that edifice in the mirrors all the time.

Jac Mac

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Stan, no, Fran and I discuss the car all the time I'm just poking fun. He's implying we might need to sweep up the gear box!

The motor was built a few years back before I started wheel to wheel racing, and then rebuilt again to sustain higher RPM (gridle, valve train, soller roller, etc.). In either case, it probably is going to stress the gearbox fairly badly. I think the solution would be a 930 box, or maybe a ZF, but since I already had the Audi Getrag box we figured we'll try it and collect some real-world data on those boxes and if they are suitable or not.

Ron

Actually thats a poop scoop.....
I figured someone may need to clean up a little poop with the 500plus HP drivtrain.......but Rons expanation does have some validity....

Ron Earp

Admin
Ah, I missed that poop scoop explination. No matter, I wear Depends under my fire suit!

I'm thinking about 300hp would be a lot better in this car, both for car and driver.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
A little progress over the holidays with trial fitting of the deck and seeing how it sits in there. It is not centered over the wheels exactly, but it fits well with a good amount of room up front. In fact, one would have room for a magneto in there if one wanted..... Anyhow, looks pretty good. Other time has been on the Jensen over there in the back ground to make a early Jan. test date. It is nice only having the JH and the Lola to worry about, the Miata is on the trailer to leave today!!! :pepper:

Attachments

• back1.JPG
    back1.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,189
  • lola1.JPG
    lola1.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,200
Hey Ron, do you have any pics that would be representative of how you want the rear deck area to look when you're done? I can envision how a scoop similar to the one I posted a photo of earlier might work out...placing the inlet in "clean" air just above the safety loop, but you'd probably want to "fair in" the gap between the base pan and the deck proper with some sort of flexible material. I can see in my minds eye how it would look, but it might not be visually acceptable for a Lola "purist".

Ron, it looks like your engine is placed pretty far back. If you were ever to do anything about how the engine fits in that "hole" now would be the time...
How do the rear wheels fit in the openings ?

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry, I missed the thread and questions.

I figure we'll stick with an air cleaner out the back sans scoop, should work out well. Although, I must admit I like the MadMax idea of a scoop....

I thought about Webers and had a set, but once real racing and track work came into the equation they were sold. I feel I'd give up too much power and reliability to them compared to a single plane with a well done four barrel from Stan at Stallion Racing. The webers would have to be redone to accept larger chokes to deal with the motor and that adds a lot of expense. And I'd trust a race built four barrel far more for a 13 hour race, that is for sure.

Johan, the big thing is the deck isn't centered at the moment, and, the transaxle isn't the one that will end up in the car that affects engine placement. We're moving to a four speed 930 for reliability and simplicty, and that will change where it sits too pushing it further forward while the deck comes back a smidge to align with the wheels. In the picture the roll bar is not bolted down and is leaning forward a bit with the deck, so it is all wankered right now. As soon as I get the 930 down here and in I'll get some more pictures of all this up. How's things with your Lola stable? Are they procreating?

Back