Build Diary - RCR Lola T70 Spider

Ron Earp

Admin
With some luck and help from a couple of friends I scored this 930 with LSD and short ratio R&P for an excellent price. Should be on the way to me next week for the Lola.

Attachments

• 8f74_1.JPG
    8f74_1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 1,658
  • 843c_1.JPG
    843c_1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,615
  • b796_0.JPG
    b796_0.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,961
  • e4f9_1.JPG
    e4f9_1.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 1,614

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry about the miss on the posts. Nothing is happening right now - we're waiting on our friendly folks from Kennedy make parts. As I've said before, I don't like working with KED and I hope that some manufactuer will make similar parts and sell them. They are incredibly slow.

In the mean time I've been doing Jensen, Z, and TR8 work and that has kept me busy. We've a TR8 head swap this Saturday, and with a bit more work the JH is finished completely, maybe 10-15 hours. The Z is done no and is going to get frame pulled this weekend. So, I think in mid-Feb those three cars will be out of my hair as well, maybe about the same time Kennedy actually decides to send a 930 flywheel, clutch, plate, etc.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
I've not been able to do anything on the car. With the Jensen Race Shakedown and explosion, Z motor going South, and working on other race cars inbtween racing (trying to race) I've had no time. Up until a couple of weeks ago I also didn't have the parts needed to mate my 930 with engine, nor some other bits. To be honest, that has been okay since my time has gone to other cars.

But, the Lola has another appointment with our cage builder around the first of June. So, to make that date the engine and trans must be in the car as well as exhaust and some other bits. I've got the parts to get that done so you'll see some work progress and photos in the next few weeks for sure.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
The RCR fairy brought some headers to me for the Lola and they are very very nice! Just delivered them yesterday at my work and I unpacked them for a picture.

My garage is getting "cleaner" with three of my Z motor blocks out of there, so I'm hoping to put these on the engine with the 930 and adapter plate in the next couple of weeks. Very nice work on these, they look great and I like the flange that runs down the entire side of the head as opposed to a non-connected indivdual pipe deal. I had a set like that once and they were hard to get to fit, I bet these will bolt up with little drama.

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 974
  • IMG_2652.JPG
    IMG_2652.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 985
  • IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 964

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Beautiful tubes!

Are they polished SS or chrome?

I wonder how long they'll remain shiny?

Polished SS 304.....I personally like SS to turn gold and burnished looking...
Randy,
Keep polishing and they will stay shiny....want to add some to your order???

Ron Earp

Admin
Mike, I called Dan and he said it was cool to run crossovers, he was okay with it when it was his turn to drive. :)

I'm with Fran on the headers. I hope these don't remain shiny, but get that nice SS heated look over time. Right now they are polished as RCR delivers them. I hope to avoid coating them for heat issues, but we'll see how they sit with the Lola rear clip. The Lola is quite a bit lower than a GT40 and we need to see how they fit with all the other bits that are going to be in there. I think it'll be okay, but want to test fit first.

R

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Polished SS 304.....I personally like SS to turn gold and burnished looking...
Randy,
Keep polishing and they will stay shiny....want to add some to your order???

I'm thinking about it... It would save me a lot of construction time...

We'll talk..

Thanks for the pics and info Ron.. Really looking forward to your progress reports!

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, work has started back on the Lola. Summit and Jegs are in full effect on my credit card bill, and things are happening. I've a new motor for endurance racing and that motor is getting dressed up with all the bits it needs, as well as getting mated with the 930.

The motor is a Ford 302 with Edelbrock heads, air gap manifold, and just got a 650 Demon carb. We're not expecting more than 300 hp with the motor but I am expecting it to last a long time and not consume huge amounts of fuel. It will also be quite drivable I think in the car and the hydraulic cam will fit decently with the 930 ratios.

Headers on are, Demon 650 is on, new alternator attachment scheme (and yes it is anchored in three places now and has a nice turnbuckle style adjustment). Later today when I've got some help the 930 is going on the plate and the assembly is going in the car.

We're behind on caging this thing, some due to delays on my end and some with my cage builder, but it is supposed to go down to Steve next weekend if my schedule allows. Steve is an SCCA Tech Inspector, as well as fabricator. Not only is he a fantastic fabricator, excellent racer, but he can issue the car a SCCA Logbook as well. All important steps in making this car something that is hard to do - a licensed street drivable car as well as a logbooked race car.

I don't know about your area, or the world climate, but Localized Warming is in full effect in North Carolina! It was 95 yesterday, supposed to be hot again today, and the AC in the garage is full on to little avail. Time to get a sweat on. :mad:

R

Attachments

• work1.JPG
    work1.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 807
  • work2.JPG
    work2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 872
I would love to see 95F here in New England! It's 50F this morning. I got the heat on in my shop and the heat on in my Daytona Coupe for a coffee run. It looks like globe warming has skipped over New England this spring.

Keith

50F in New England? What are you guys doing over there? Letting the heat out? Better keep that door shut....:)

A balmy 75f here in Southern UK. I like this global warming stuff.....

:rolleyes:

Ron Earp

Admin
Six more hours have passed and the motor has wires, 930 box, mounts etc. and is in the car. We pulled the mounts off the chassis from the Audi position, put them on the motor, set the motor in place, measured, measured, measured to make sure all was square, and marked the mounts. Out comes the whole thing, drill holes, bolt in motor assemble, and there we are - motor and transaxle in the car.

We got the motor really foward this time. The front crank pulley is only about 1" from the lower part of the chassis. Very square, and the motor is much lower than it was with the Audi transaxle, the pan sticks out of the bottom of the chassis about 1/4" and is about perfect as far as I can tell. Air cleaner nicely centered in the deck opening.

But.

It is too far forward. I thought to call Fran and tell him what a great job we did putting in the motor. I should have called about some guidelines on fitting the 930.

Have a look at that picture below. On the RCR cars the motor plate area for the starter should be flush with the BACK side of the chassis. Mine is front with the front side.

So, we get to do this all over again and push the motor back. If we don't a starter will not fit there and unfortunately I didn't have a starter to put on the motor or I might have seen that. Lesson learned - call someone who might know. Motor fitting shot down about 3 hours I suppose, but it'll be faster next time. Maybe the new position will line up with the Audi mount plate holes........

Ron

Attachments

• much1.JPG
    much1.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 842
  • much2.JPG
    much2.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 826

Malcolm

Supporter
Ron, does it make sense to have the sump 1/4 inch below chassis rails? Exit at Oak tree has nasty curbs and we all go over them at some point I guess? Sump guard?

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, it sort of is where it is. I've got a feeling it'll go back up a bit when the engine goes back a little. But it all has to fit under the deck of a Lola and that is considerably tighter than a GT40 for vertical room. If it remains in place we can easily protect it I think, should not be that hard to do.

R

Ron,
I can't tell from your pic if the problem is that the starter can't be rotated to its stock position due to the frame rails. If it is, you might consider what I am doing. Have a new wing or two added to the starter. I first thought of tapping new studs for the position(s) that the starter had to be in for a fit. I found out that there was not enough material for the studs to grip for the torque the starter uses. Anyone that can weld aluminum should be able to get it done.

Bill

Back