Building a new sports car, where to start?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Trev, yes you've been very busy I see.. I like your design very much!

As far as donors are concerned - I don't have a clue how plentiful they are on the other side of the pond, but here they almost seem to be like rabbits (everywhere) and can be had for very low buy in price.
I would look to the C4 (84-96) Corvette.
Great suspension bits and geometry
Very nice brakes if you chose the 92 (I believe) or later with the dual piston calipers
And most of all for you would be the main tub with doors, and a good rake to the A-Pillar and windshield. Yes, there would need to be some relocation of parts and much scrap left-over, but since you had established no real boundaries for the donor... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 310
Main requirements for a donor car would be:
- Has to be mid engined
- Ideally it should be able to accommodate a V8
- Has to be a modern car that improves performance, handling and equipment over the original
- Ideally the donor should be a design that people are not that taken by and that could be improved.

I've looked at Audi R8, Ultima's, Ferraris etc as possible options but the roofline is the real sticking point. You can see the issue in the image below that shows an early rough sketch of the side of my design next to an Audi R8 and Gallardo. Most modern mid engined cars are designed with the roof starting quite far forward and minimal overhangs at the front and back of the car. In contrast the Pantera has a long nose as I guess it was more about design than performance in the early 70's. I am trying to achieve that original style look as I believe the earlier cars are a more beautiful shape and I want someone to see my car and recognise it as a Pantera. Much in the same way you do when you see the new Ford GT.

profiles.jpg

Last edited:
The 2 other options for building the car could be:

- Use and original Pantera as a donor. Strip the car down and replace all components with modern alternatives and re-body the car. I would achieve the silhouette I want but I think it would still be a modern body on an old chassis.

- See if Fran at RCR (hint, hint) or another manufacturer could produce a chassis for the car, possibly based on the SLC or GT40 chassis'. Downside to this is build time and development work but the benefit of a custom chassis is obviously having more design freedom. The other downside would be trying to achieve that production car fit and finish could be very difficult and costly.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Trev.

I actually have a set of moulds for a Pantera so it may not be a bad place to start and then revamp.
A Porsche Boxter would be a nice affordable mid engined car to look at using for a platform and it has a fully finished interior...not V8 but it can be made to scoot pretty well and the trade off for having a nice interior package is one that I would say is a good compromise

Trev.

I actually have a set of moulds for a Pantera so it may not be a bad place to start and then revamp.
A Porsche Boxter would be a nice affordable mid engined car to look at using for a platform and it has a fully finished interior...not V8 but it can be made to scoot pretty well and the trade off for having a nice interior package is one that I would say is a good compromise

Thanks for the response Fran, I did consider a boxster before as they are great value and really nice package but I wonder if the car would be too small?

What do you think about using a Lotus Evora as a base. It's a 2+2 so there is room to move the roof back slightly by removing the back seats. I looked at the Evora for quite a while but it would have to remain with a V6 as the engine is transversely mounted

evora.jpg

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
It would not be too difficult of a task for a good fabricator to extend the chassis/wheelbase of a Boxster...Not a fan of using the Evora...too new and costly with very little aftermarket support compared to the Porsche...and who knows how long things will be available from Lotus in the future

Trevor,

Here are my thought about your project (Hey you asked for this! =) )

You want to start from an existing production car in order to save chassis work.
My assumption is that doing so, you planned to save on suspensions AND resistance (crashworthiness, and maybe stiffness)?

My opinion is that, if you take a roofed car, and take it appart to relocate , you will end up with a huge amount of work, and probably a safety/stiffness issue, as roof and A pilars play a great role in this area... Restoring structural integrity of a cut / welded A pillar+ roof is not only a guess job, and would probably take a huge amount of time to be done properly...

If I were you, I would look for a front engined coupe, which have greater lenght in front to accomodate engine and trany, and would stick with the A pillar and roof structure setup (ideally would keep the front windshield) and would reskin the roof.

Still IMHO, it wouold be easier/safer to put an engine/trany in the rear trunk than moving the roof backward....

You can find about whatever blueprints you want on the web. I would try to compare some of them with your own design and try to find the best fit.

Oliver,

Do you mean something like this

MG METRO 6R4 - The MG Owners' Club

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwCEaoCASY"]1985 MG Metro 6R4 Rally Car Movie.avi - YouTube[/ame]

The 3 litre quad cam V6 engine gave 410 hp @ 9,000rpm. The 2.5 litre turbocharged version gave 700+hp

I know it doesnt have the body shape Trevor is looking for and it has a space frame. But it is a front engined car with the engine in the back...

Oliver,

Do you mean something like this

MG METRO 6R4 - The MG Owners' Club

1985 MG Metro 6R4 Rally Car Movie.avi - YouTube

The 3 litre quad cam V6 engine gave 410 hp @ 9,000rpm. The 2.5 litre turbocharged version gave 700+hp

I know it doesnt have the body shape Trevor is looking for and it has a space frame. But it is a front engined car with the engine in the back...

Woahhh, so strange. I was actually talking to a guy yesterday who builds Metro 6R4 replicas. I think the idea of turning a front engined car into a rear/mid engine layout could have some legs. I'll have a look through a few options and post some suggestions

Trev

Exactly what I meant!

How were built the renault 5 turbos? Like this!

You should take a look at the new mustang... I superposed this with your design and it could work?

If I had the same project, actually, I would beguin by selcting a production car, and build the design arround the living cell.

Humm... have you looked at Fran's project involving a Hyunday as a donor???

Olivier.

Back