C5 Corvette Ball Joint Taper?

Considering how old this thread is, hopefully someone has an answer: I was hoping to use a K727 balljoint (the standard circle track large screw in joint) in the lower position of my C6 spindles, but the bolt is too large--looks like it needs an M14, not the big 'un on the K727. Doug, and others, what did you guys end up using?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
That is what I had to do as well. Bought the rings, welded them to the arms, and then pressed the joint into place. (yep, the ring shrunk upon welding the tubes to it, so the balljoint barely made it into the ring with the press)

I came across this site while researching Corvette C5 suspensions... Doug - thanks for the zip file for the uprights and brakes.
Can you direct me to where you may have control arm information?
I looked at "Performance Trends" but they only had the front suspension. I'm interested in finding the rear control arm and tie rod info as well as the chassis pickup points for the control arms, shocks and tie rods.

any info would be appreciated.
thank you
dave

Hey Doug
I have a spare C5 upright if you want it. I don't even know how I got it.
But it's yours if you want it. I'm in Ellenbrook if you want to catch up?

Cheers
Dave

is anyone in britain intrested in my 2 brand new c5 uprights, balljoints and alloy wishbones, oh, and 1 hub carrier?
100_1772.jpg

sorry about pic size...not that good with technology!!

Hi Dave,

I've never had info on the stock C5 suspension, basically I've made up what I'm doing. So sorry I cant help with that, there are 1 or 2 guys on here using it though and the Factory Five Supercar uses it too, so checking out their forum might help.

Dave S,

I have 4 upgrights but a spare would always be handy! Let me know when a good time to catch up would be.

Also may be of interest to people, I've sourced a set of these wheels for US$900 the weight is similar to that of the C6 OEM ones I had prevously and these fit over the Z06 brakes nicely.

That is what I had to do as well. Bought the rings, welded them to the arms, and then pressed the joint into place. (yep, the ring shrunk upon welding the tubes to it, so the balljoint barely made it into the ring with the press)

Terry the best way to stop the hole getting out of shape is machine a slug out of brass that is a press fit.
Weld then press it out after it cools, it has worked for me.

Jim

Doug - I downloaded the CAD file from your build site - thank you again! - but I found that the spindle and the mirrorSpindle are both the same side.

When I open them in Alibre, they appear as the left rear ( as viewed from the rear of the car )... I guess that makes them the right front as well.

any ideas as to how the mirrored part is not mirrored?

dave

Hi Dave,

SuspensionUpright.STP is the original and Suspension Upright_mir.STP is the mirror, is that not what you are getting?

Yes as stock its the same upright on the front left as on the rear right of the car.
I'm using 2 of the same on the same side which puts the toe control arm for the rear at the front of the upright, which in theory is not so good but was a lot easier for me to package.

thanks... I went through it again and was able to get a right and a left... not sure what was different this time, but I have what I need.

thanks
dave

I am interested in the ball joints, because I would like to have an upper and lower for measurement, but I am ignorant about them.

I am designing a frame and suspension for an LS7 powered open 2 seat track day car and would like to use the C6 Corvette LBJs.

1) I want C6 ball joints. Are they the same ? If not, what are the differences?

2) Are the lower BJs at the rear the same as the front? If not, what are the differences?

I have made the 930 adapters that are mentioned in the post earlier, but I am not a vendor so I can't advertise for them. If you PM me I will tell you a couple different suppliers that you can buy these from.

Back