Cadillac LMP-00-002

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
We have a new project car....

I have completed the purchase of Cadillac Northstar LMP-00-002. This is the carbon mono that Troy had down in Australia. It raced in Europe 2000, Barcelona, Silverstone, Spa, Monza (4th place) and then Le Mans (black, Motorola Race# 4) where it was damaged in a fire.

Low down on the left rear there is a damaged area where the heat melted some of the carbon, per Riley Engineering who built it, the aluminum core is OK but the exterior in this area needs to be re-skinned.

It has just cleared customs in LA and should be here Fri/Sat.

Needles to say we are very excited to have this significant piece of US racing history. Although these cars were never very sucessful, it was a full GM assault on Le Mans.......

Plus as I understand, only six were built and only four ran at Le Mans.......

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited:
Haha,

Jim, I was thinking the same thing. If my shop had been built, I'd have pulled the trigger. Good on ya. Will be watching the build with anticipation.

Are you going to try to track down all the original parts, or fill in some of the blanks with RCR parts?

Ron

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

As I understand, Andrew, who lives in Southern CA has just finished restoring LMP-00-004 and my chassis was part of the fairly extensive spares package he had. Apparently he sold this tub to Troy who then sold it to me.

Once we get squared away, I plan to contact Andrew, as I would absolutly love to get a good look at 004 and I'm hoping he has some leads on parts:).

Andrews car has an extensive race history, it raced as Le Mans in 2000 as the silver #2 car and raced again at Le Mans in 2001 with a slightly different body.

Additionally, Pat tells me that Wayne Taylor who raced them for Caddy in the ALMS & Le Mans has LMP-00-005 down in Florida.

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
None of my parts will fit with the exception of the body panels...the kinematics of my suspension mimics the original but my chassis and mounting locations are completely different.

I do however have complete car sets of original 2000 and the 2001 body panels with all the aero parts and ducting too.

Also original wheels..

Ron,

As I understand, Andrew, who lives in Southern CA has just finished restoring LMP-00-004 and my chassis was part of the fairly extensive spares package he had. Apparently he sold this tub to Troy who then sold it to me.

Once we get squared away, I plan to contact Andrew, as I would absolutly love to get a good look at 004 and I'm hoping he has some leads on parts:)

Additionally, Pat tells me that Wayne Taylor who raced them for Caddy in the ALMS & Le Mans has LMP-00-005 down in Florida.

Ah,

Wayne and the Suntrust Boys, right?

Sounds like that tub has some frequent flier miles. Look forward to the build.

Pat

Supporter
Fantastic acquisition Jim and congratulations. It will be a demanding but no doubt satisfying project with some awesome potential. Please keep us up to date with lots of pictures!!!!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This is a nice shot of 002 at Silverstone (2000), I really think this is one of the better looking LMP cars of that era, fairly plain, but with very nice porportions and not much ground clearance. In 2000 the Cadillac grill actually fed the front brake cooling, by 2001 the grill was just painted on.

WM_Silverstone-2000-05-14-032.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Fran, thanks, once things get squared away, I want to talk to you about the 2000 body and the seven spoke wheels.

I had not heard of Kim Baker, but I have the feeling that I will get to know him.

Fran, feel free to give him my contact info, or, let me know how to contact him...

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I turn my back for a few months and look what you get yourself into. Kids :) Where are you going to put this art? Should be fun collecting all the parts to complete your new model kit :computer: and nobody on your street will be having one of those anytime soon.

We have a new project car....

I have completed the purchase of Cadillac Northstar LMP-00-002. This is the carbon mono that Troy had down in Australia. It raced in Europe 2000, Barcelona, Silverstone, Spa, Monza (4th place) and then Le Mans (black, Motorola Race# 4) where it was damaged in a fire.

Low down on the left rear there is a damaged area where the heat melted some of the carbon, per Riley Engineering who built it, the aluminum core is OK but the exterior in this area needs to be re-skinned.

It has just cleared customs in LA and should be here Fri/Sat.

Needles to say we are very excited to have this significant piece of US racing history. Although these cars were never very sucessful, it was a full GM assault on Le Mans.......

Plus as I understand, only six were built and only four ran at Le Mans.......

Attached Thumbnails

Very Cool!

Hi Jim, great to hear it's about to land there. Good luck with the project, I'm sure Andrew will be a very useful reference. Here are Kim's details...

Attachments

• LMP Parts.JPG
    LMP Parts.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 378

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Troy,

The chassis has arrived in good shape, thanks a bunch, we really appreciate you letting us care for this beauty.

Hi Rob, it really is art, Frances thinks we should put glass on it and use it as a coffee table....

If you are out and about this weekend, come on up and take a look, I have figured out the radiator mounting and cooling routes.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You know Troy, it would probably work very well as either, but........

Say it isn't so.....

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Although I have not posted recently, I have been working on this beautiful car and I have just returned from a cross country scavenger hunt. I think it was very sucessful and I found some very interesting parts...

This is a 2000 wing and rear crash structure.

10308431_738687349531750_6971917434620040429_n.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This is the tail section I have obtained. I wondered about the "Flag" art, as I had not noted it in any of the period photos...

It turns out that these cars last raced at the 2001 Petite Le Mans, a few weeks after 9-11:(

10703535_739977676069384_5997477830478049473_n.jpg

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Craik - yeeeeeeeeew mizzerbull doggone DOG you!

WHAT A SCORE!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats, sir!!!!!!!!!!

Back