Can I get a GT40 in my Garage

I would love to purchase a GT40 replica but I am not sure I would be able to get out of the car once I have driven the car into my garage.
Could somebody tell me how much clearence I would need to get into the car. Does the door have to be fully open to enter. The width inside my garage is 5ft 10inch exactly.
Thanks Paul <font color="black"> </font>

No, you won't get it in and still be able to get out.
However, you are not alone I don't think.
The guy who I bought my car off, used to get out and roll it into the garage before chocking the wheels.
It's the price you pay..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Simon for your reply. I currently have a boxster and I have just pushed that out and back in again.....wasn't too bad. Do you think the GT40 would be heavier than the Porsche. It's not too much of a problem as the ground is flat but I am pushing onto a gravel drive..

Thanks Paul

I do the same with the Cobra, push it in and out.
Mind you I did have the problem with the Ultima. I thought it was ok with the gullwing style doors. So I drive the car into the garage, try to open the door and *thunk* the door opens upwards 6 inches and hits a wall mounted cupboard...

Speak to David Champ here on the forum (and webmaster of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club). He has his 40 in a single garage and gets in and out of it. I think he wold be best to explain his technique. It is certainly possible.

Brett

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
I parked mine in my fathers as small as you can get single garage on the way to and from Goodwood. It is a gravel drive. I found that I could only push it out on my own provided if it went in in reverse and came out forwards. If I went in forwards, the rolling resistance on the gravel was too high due to the wider rear wheels. So, the technique was to reverse in until the rear wheels are just coming off the gravel, then get out and push in, mirror this to exit.
I of course found out the hard way, and had to climb in the car while it was in the garage. Now in a small garage you cant go in feet first, you have to go in head first, then turn round inside the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Difficult, not recommended, but I did it although I am over 6ft. -- thinks ?maybe sex is possible in a GT40 after all? any experience on that one guys? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

regards
Dave

Dave,

It can be done(with EXTREME difficulty!), but will cause a
series of "mystery" bruises all over your body.
I suggest scheduling a chiropractic appointment in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

MWGT40

Supporter
I used to push my GTD in and out of my garage in Putney on my own without problem. I also owned a Boxster S and can tell you that it was a lot easier to move the GTD than it was the Boxster. However, I never needed to push it in on my own as I always used to be surrounded by enthusiasts as soon as the car was in public view!

If you really want to drive in rather than push it in I strongly advise that you put some carpet on the wall or sponge maybe to cushion the doors against the walls when you try to get out of the car.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Brian Magee demonstrated to me (at the NEC) a novel way of getting out of the car. I forget why he had to do it - perhaps he had to park alongside something - then he cracked open the door about 30 to 40 degrees, stood on the seat and climbed over the area between the front of the door just to the right of the A post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
It does require a modicum of agility, a skill to which I cannot aspire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Dave M

[ QUOTE ]
Brian Magee demonstrated to me (at the NEC) a novel stood on the seat and climbed over the area between the front of the door just to the right of the A post.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I decided on as the best method early on. I have a narrow double garage. Instead of having to drive my other car out and put it away every time, climbing in and out between the door and the A post works a treat (being careful not to put any weight on the roof). However, I find it easier getting out of the 40 this way than getting in. I am a short-arse and I suppose that a 'kick step' stool between both cars might help...

This works in car parks also, and, if you perfect it, can look pretty cool. People who saw Clarkson crawl out of the GT on Top Gear expect that you will have to do the same - but you can prove them wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif .

(Oh, and speaking from experience, when you're taking the car out of the garage, remember to have your keys with you before you get in. It's a real frustration, after shutting the door, realising that you've got to go through the process again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ).

Cheers!

Rob

The picture is hopefully attached this time. My first attempt at attaching a file.

Attachments

• 46593-DSCN0250.JPG
    46593-DSCN0250.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 297

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Chuck, That won't work for me. Mine drives on the right !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you added a chute to slid in, it would be just like
Thunderbirds are Go!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey Guys
You've got me very worried now. I've built my GT40 and it all seems to work, but I don't know what an "A post" is. Have I missed an important item out? I'm sure I checked the box of parts was empty before I threw it away!
My little bungalow didn't have a garage until recently but it has now. The major design feature was enough width to open the door!
By the way, if the width of your garage is only 5ft 10 in, your major problem will be avoiding scrathing the paintwork as you try and get it in and out.

Regards

Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave- 'A' post = MOST VITAL - suggest you get down to the council dump and reclaim it Only kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif- 'A' is where the door hinges are situated, 'B' is between the doors and rear bodywork, and if it were a 4 door car the 'C' would be the next.
Dave M
PS hope to be coming out to Shanghai in next month or so.

Back