CANAMSA - SA stratch build

Looking good Fred, rad duct looks a pain to do!!! I can tell you, you will be sick of the sight of resin and mat by the time the moulds are done!!

Fred, I just finished reading the whole 16 pages of the post, and just wanted to congratulate you on the project.

The work you've done is absolutely remarkable and an inspiration to me; I'm now even more enthusiastic about starting a similar project of my own.

Keep it up, man!! Best regards form Paraguay, South America.

So full thickness is laid up, wood bracing is on, edges are trimmed, and the top surface of the nose mold is finished!

nose%20mold%20june%202011%20001.jpg

nose%20mold%20june%202011%20003.jpg

And I've started to remove the nose mold from the pattern

nose%20mold%20june%202011%20034.jpg

Just tapped some soft wood wedges between the flanges and this popped off nicely!

nose%20mold%20june%202011%20036.jpg

Very encouraged as I feel that I have got a major step finished

Cheers

Fred W B

Looks a real nice job Fred, you will have a lovely set of molds to work from, bet you`re itching to lay up the first body!! Just shows how good wax is against PVA for surface finish if done right. Well done and hope the rest comes off as smoothly for you.
regards Chris

Thanks Chris, I do feel I am finally making some real progress

And today I rounded up some mates to help lift off the bigger bits. The scuttle mould came off easily

nose%20mold%20june%202011%20044.jpg

but the nose upper section put up more of a fight. Judicious use of levers, wedges, ratchet straps, roof rafters, hammers and mallets was necessary to "crack" it loose. It's a damn big heavy piece but it is off now.

Amazingly all the surface of the pattern stayed behind.

nose%20mold%20june%202011%20043.jpg

Cheers

Fred W B

Slow progress.

Worked up the surface on the nose underface, made the formers for the flanges and now waxing.....

Cheers

Fred W B

patterm%20Sep%2011%20002.jpg

Slow progress.

Worked up the surface on the nose underface, made the formers for the flanges and now waxing.....

Cheers

Fred W B

patterm%20Sep%2011%20002.jpg

patterm%20Sep%2011%20001.jpg

patterm%20Sep%2011%20006.jpg

patterm%20Sep%2011%20021.jpg

patterm%20Sep%2011%20021.jpg

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just an amazing effort here... What craftsmanship! :thumbsup:

Hey Fred,

very nice to see the first large pieces comming of the plus in one piece, I've seen pro's do a lot worse that what you are showing here! :thumbsup:

anyway, sorry to not have been able to help you out on the measurements of my nose underside section, but seeing your's upside down and looking at the underside I think you're spot on.

ps looking at your chassis you would be able to put the GD diffusor in the rear.

all in all good going keep us posted.

regards Thomas

Back