Car and Driver

I will have to say that the performance is above what I was expecting. The car is weighing in at ~3450 lbs, but must be making its 500 HP at the rear wheels to have a 128 MPH trap speed in the quarter. Braking is great, and the road course times are 2 seconds a lap better then the others.

So, Jim, are you going to add one to your collection or do you need to let it age, like a fine wine, for 30 or so years? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
We need to dig up the weight thread to see who was the cloest. Yep, it must be making serious power (actually area under the torque curve is more correct) and it is with the blower. 128 is stout for that weight.

R

Keep in mind also that this is not the final production car. They made 3 that they called production this year and about 15 engineering test cars. I believe that this is one of the engineering test cars. I would expect that next years production cars will be bery similar, but they may decide to reduce power output, add noise treatment, etc. If someone wants to dig up the other thread the weight quoted in CD was 3429 lbs. The transmission by the way appears to have great ratios. I will be adding it to my chart soon.

[ QUOTE ]
Mark
It would make a great daily driver...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless it's raining when you open the doors...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I'm really impressed, but with reservations. It wasn't a production car, like mentioned above. Also, I think C/D lacks objectivity; I would want to see another test by an enthusiast publication that's known for better journalistic standards. I like C/D a lot but they've always seemed to be easily carried away...all that said, the Ford GT did a lot better than I thought it would and I'm worried about meeting one when I have my car out and running. I'm afraid I might get my doors blown off.

Looks like there won't be many cars out there excluding and Enzo or Carrera GT that will take the Ford GT out.

What is the new Carrera GT supposed to cost? I imagine it would out-gun a Ford GT. Nonetheless, a 128 mph trap speed from a production car is well into supercar territory. I look forward to seeing one in the flesh...hopefully from the seat of my RF.

Those numbers sure are impressive. Too bad the buyers get to keep waiting. That just means more time to build a stroked windsor motor and maintain my edge!

If we look at hp to weight ratio or even out the hp to weight for the Ford GT in comparison to a replica, we get the following:

Ford GT

3450 lbs 500bhp

Replica

2250 lbs 341 bhp

Would a 341bhp, 2350 lb GT40 replica equal the performance of the 500bhp, 3450 lb Ford GT?

[ QUOTE ]
Would a 341bhp, 2350 lb GT40 replica equal the performance of the 500bhp, 3450 lb Ford GT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not; most replicas have transaxles that don't lend themselves well to power shifting. I bet the Ford GT transaxle would be the cat's meow...if it can move a 3450-pound car with 500 hp, imaging the kind of power we could put through it in a 2300-pound replica. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
There are already GT40 replicas on the road that better the new GT. Just check with the GTD club, they've got a lot of them that do. And, I hope mine does as well, with more power and less weight it should but powershifting is probably going to be a no no.

R

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by powershifting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two different types of shifting...

1. Powershifting: shifting gears while using the clutch, but not taking your foot off the accelerator.

2. Speedshifting: Shifting without using the clutch.

Mark the new Carerra GT is 400K+
Ron IMHO the new Ford GT has more than 500hp at the the rear wheels about 650 at the crank. Too make those numbers I think it would have to.

Powershifting: hard on clutch, axle shafts, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Speedshifting/flatshifting: REALLY hard on gears! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Both eventually cost you big $$$$$$! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back