Car and Driver

Yes, but if you want those last couple tenths of a second in the quarter mile for bragging rights then that's what you do. Drag racing is fun, but if you let your ego get caught up in it it can get expensive!

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but if you want those last couple tenths of a second in the quarter mile for bragging rights then that's what you do. Drag racing is fun, but if you let your ego get caught up in it it can get expensive!

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite quote: "You gotta pay to play."

-Shannon

One thing always consistent is that given equal hp/weight ratio's, pick the lighter car. More "tossable". HP gains add more speed(since X$=Xhp for most upgrades). Easier to tune suspension. Cheaper on tires. Cheaper on brakes. Lots others too.

Seems the only sacrifices are creature comforts and impact protection.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that a well-sorted out replica will keep up with the new car and maybe even better it on a road course, because it will be lighter, smaller and more maneuverable. As far as vs. an out-and-out race car like J6 (or 1075), I think Jim would wax the new car. What do you guys think?

Ron Earp

Admin
I think you guys keep forgetting there are faster replicas already, faster than MK-IV too.

If I am not mistaken Roy's GTD went 137mph in the quarter at around 12sec. So, the ET isn't as low as the new Ford GT but that is just a launch and traction issue. The mph is much higher than the new GTs. The Enzo managed 135 in the quarter, so the Roy's car is seriously fast. And, it is much lighter in weight and I would assume would wax the new GT in a road race.

So I think well sorted replicas will have no trouble taking care of the new GT as I think there are already ones available to do it.

R

Maybe we're missing the point...

Long ago we agreed that most buyers of the new GT were
going to be "non-racers". They wouldn't care
whether the performance was equal to or better than
an original. They are buying into "heritage".

Point is that it appears Ford has done a great job with the
new GT such as it will outperform it's direct competitors
like the Modena. I doubt Ford was worried about
beating the times of the original race cars or "semi"
race-cars such as those mentioned in this thread.

MikeD

Mike
I agree. It's very impressive. It was built to beat the 360. That it stomped a 360CS for 48K less is even more impressive. That it won't finish 1 OA at LeMans next June neither will J6 or 1075. Replica, Original, New One, they're all great cars.

New GT - if you can even get one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Power 500BHP Weight 3450lbs. Gives about 320BHP/ton. About average for an average supercar. Nothing special.

Since they are going to fetch big money, except for the lucky with their name on the list we need to look at other offerings.

Lambo Gallardo? Same sort of money same power.
Pagani Zonda? - more money, so much more car!
TVR Tuscan S - 390BHP/weight 1100kg 354/BHP ton!! £50,000.
Ferrari F40 441/BHP ton
Ferrari F50 424/BHP ton

Is that the best Ford can do? Since people seem to be prepared to pay over the odds for them why didn't they go to town and make a 600-700HP monster??

If a replica has a mild 350HP 302 with good brakes and suspension then it'll be agood match for the GT.

Those of us with lightweight chasis, 450HP plus, very powerful brakes, expensive shocks etc. will simply eat the GT ALIVE!!!

And recently a certain GD T70 did some eating! The U.K GD Lola T70, weight 900kg, Chevy block with 450HP, very well sorted chasis etc. simply destroyed a Pagani Zonda S (550HP) by a massive margin, over 4 secs round a track here in the U.K. In fact the T70 beat everything apart from the JP1 track car.

Big brands building big and expensive cars mean absolutely nothing if they get totally humiliated by a so called "kit car".

So watch out Ford GT. I would imagine that the new GT will get some pretty honest testing over here in the U.K. And I'm not talking about some pre-arranged press test drives either.

Regards,

J.P

JP

You appear to miss the point...Ford never intended for the
new GT to be a race car. It is to be a super "street" car
dripping with heritage to entice 1500 (non-racing) buyers
per year to buy AMERICAN. I can assure you that will happen.
I can also assure you that a new GT will NOT cost $ 5,000
for a tuneup or $ 10,000 for a brake job.

Have a nice day.

MikeD

There is no point to miss!

Ford are pitching the GT against the likes of the Ferrari 360 and Porsche 911 GT3/Turbo/GT2 - that is a fact. In the same category you have the likes of the Lamborghini Gallardo, Aston Martin Vantage etc. What are these cars? Sports cars, or Super "Street Cars" (not a term used in the Europe) or Super Cars. I would term them all Super Cars, I'm sure most people from Europe would tend to agree. Therefore it stands to reason that the Ford GT will be tested and grouped amoungst such rivals.

I'm not denying the fact that they will sell in the U.K. I'm sure they will, especially since Ford are sending so few to our shores.

BUT, will it cut the mustard when it is tested in Europe?

Can't wait to find out!

Regards,

J.P

I forgot to add.

There is absolutely no way that the Ford GT will match the incredible sound of a Ferrari, nor the sound of a Lamborghini V10. These are valid points to consider, they add to the all important sense of occasion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

JP,
I thought Clarkson said the sound was "sensational" when he drove the car in Detroit.

I have to agree with the fact the car is being pitched in as a street car, the mainstay cars you are talking about are designed for the road. I am sure that next year you will see the DB9 look completely different on the track now AML have announced they are making a long overdue return back to Motorsport.

On a personal note I think you are being slightly unfair to Ford. I think they have done well on this project bringing it from conception to reality in such a short time; especially since they have had to cope with global homologation and crash tests. If you read the articles Ford are not only using this to promote their brand, but have tried new techniques in manufacturing to see if it can be incorporated into future developments and help reduce overall vehicle weight, this is surely a good thing in the long term. Also, it has I assume had a knock on effect for all the replica makers gloablly, which in turn will help boost this forum and global like minds.

My 0.02

Brett

Howard Jones

Supporter
A lot of these whose car is faster things comes down to who CAN drive their car faster. I bet I could have 300hp more in otherwise equal cars, than a professional race driver and still get my doors blown off on a road corse

Ron Earp

Admin
Entirely true! I just read an article in either Roak and Track or Car and Driver where Dany Gurney indicates he loves driving his Toyota minivan in the mountains where he smokes guys in their sports cars - the driver is the most important in this equation (no specific cars mentioned nor roads).

R

JP makes an interesting point.

He prefers the sound of a Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini,
and I suspect most Europeans would since that's their
heritage. However I suspect most Americans prefer the V-8
sound (especially with crossover exhaust) to that of the European sports cars. In fact when the Viper was released
the biggest complaint American buyers had was that the
V-10 did not sound like the V-8 musclecars we grew up with.

I know I'm generalizing here...but I'll bet one of Ronnie
Spain's books a poll of US GT buyers would agree.

MikeD

MikeD

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Mike, I hazard a guess that most Aussies enjoy the sound
of a V8 over the European muscle cars also. Our most popular
Auto race is the V8 Supercar series, which are highly modified Ford and G.M.H.sedans.
We also have a series called V8 Brutes, where a bunch of maniacs posing as race drivers race V8 Utes. (Pick up trucks,sort of) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I thought Clarkson said the sound was "sensational" when he drove the car in Detroit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's Clarkson? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

P.S I do like the new GT, and I would readily buy one if I can get one at list price. I'm just looking at what the GT is up against.

Don't forget that the Ferrari 360 engine is in fact a V8. In fact my wife's new Audi S4 will have a V8 too! The World has gone V8 mad. I here also that new M3 will have a V8, and the M5 a V10.

Regards,

J.P

Back