casting number question

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello all

I am going to look at a 289 Sunday. The casting number I was told is C5AE-6015E, and the date code is 5B4. But he tells me that there is a 66 cast on the inside of one of the heads. Can anyone give me a idea of what this is ? It is a long block without intake and carb. If it is anything, I think I will buy it and rebuild it. I currently have no use for it, but it couldn't hurt to have it.

Thanks in advance.
Regards Brian

Hello all

I am going to look at a 289 Sunday. The casting number I was told is C5AE-6015E, and the date code is 5B4. But he tells me that there is a 66 cast on the inside of one of the heads. Can anyone give me a idea of what this is ? It is a long block without intake and carb. If it is anything, I think I will buy it and rebuild it. I currently have no use for it, but it couldn't hurt to have it.

Thanks in advance.
Regards Brian

Brian,

Best as I can tell by the casting number and date code - 289, cast Feb 4, 1965. If you pull the oil pan, there should be another set of numbers. Those numbers would be the date it was machined. If it is HiPO 289, the only way to tell is the main caps. The con rods will also have beefier bolts.

Ian

3/8" rod bolts, maincaps with full thickness & machined on f/r faces, thin ~3/16" thick counterweight pinned to rear face of crank timing gear, Hi Po heads have screw in studs & raised area around valve spring seats + pushrod guides machined into pushrod holes of heads, early rod bolts were 'square headed' with straight broached seat area in rod, later replacements were football head same as production 302Boss rod ( Same rod-interchangeable @ 5.155" c to c) Twin point dizzy, other stuff too, but I would have to look up the bible to refresh memory:)

Heads may not be original to block -
also, look to see if it's a 5 bolt bell housing pattern or 6 bolt - I believe some of the early 289's were 5 bolt patterns.

Jac Mac can correct me if i'm wrong

Also, if it is an original HiPo 289, the bolts for cap #2 would have threaded heads to accommodate a windage tray. There also might be an ID number behind the starter.

Ian

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the replies guys. A friend went with me to check it out. He really wanted it, so I bought it for him. He will have more use for it than I ever would.

THANKS AGAIN !!
Regards Brian

Hello all

Thanks in advance.
Regards Brian

Brian, as the owner of a early 66 Mustang I inspected the original engine, C5AE-6015-E is the casting ID for the 6 bolt trans block, used for both HiPo & non HiPo blocks, the date code would identify the case date, the build date is stamped under the oil pan rail near the rear main cap as mentioned previously, also the block "wing" sticking out by the distributor has an assembly date stamped, a late 1965 built engine may have "66" marked heads, you can see what "L" level version the engine is also to see what modifications should be found. I have photos to help if needed.
Regards, jim

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jim
Thanks for the info. My friend now has the engine, and I haven't seen it since. I'm not sure what his plans are for it.

THANKS AGAIN !!
Regards Brian

I hear it both ways, but have seen some pictures with the #2 cap bolts with threaded holes.

Ian

The Ford BOSS 302 windage tray has been available over-the-counter for years. Its a super easy mod, with no downside.

I bolted one onto my '68 302 (J-code) motor back in '98 during the build.

I have never seen one that was reported to be original on a K-code motor.

Back