CAV - Getting the Horsepower to the Ground - Part III

As with the motor mounts and crossmember, I got an early version of Ian’s A-arms but, all in all, they ended up fitting well and looking good. They fix a number of problems inherent in the suspension of older CAV mono cars and add the ability to set caster. They make it possible to exactly equalize the wheel base left to right. The tire position can also be adjusted fore and aft to perfectly center the tires in the wheel wells which is not a mandatory detail but a nice cosmetic touch just the same. I think the A-arms are a worthwhile add and they work well with the other upgrades.

Part IV will be about the contentious location of the upper shock absorber brackets which I called the “Mother of all Brackets.” I am changing the bracket location on my car so that I can set the amount of suspension rise and drop, the adjustment range of ride height, and the working range of shock absorber stroke. The bracket must be located to serve all three masters. (A good argument against polygamy.)

Here is the last picture for Part III showing all my tools picked up and the floor swept. It is 2:00 AM, I am dog tired, and I should go to bed. But I took the picture, and sat there drinking a warm can of flat coke looking at the car for another 10 minutes before I could leave.

Attachments

• 64946-CAV-A-Arm-Upgrade-22_2.JPG
    64946-CAV-A-Arm-Upgrade-22_2.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 318
Thanks for being open and posting your work. It is great. I want to get with you as you start to do your alignment specifically in regards to bump steer front and rear.

Gary

Back