CAV Starter Motors on 302 but running an audi box

Hi Guys looking for some advice. I am running a 302 stroked to 331 with transmission via a 6 speed audi box. My flywheel shows 131 teeth. The problem is i am on my second starter motor which came with the car. Upon checking the starter motor it is the same unit that was fitted to the Ford Essex V6 engine in the UK normally seen in a Ford capri.
Has anyone any advice re what starter i could use instead my worry is this current unit is not man enough for the job as this second unit (which was overhauled) after 6 months is showing the same symptoms just a clicking solenoid. No battery issues wiring etc this is exactly the same as the previous unit. Real Steel in the UK state they cant help as its not the standard flywheel.

Welcome any advice please.
Thanks Kev (UK)

KEVIN,

IT IS HOWEVER A STANDARD STARTER. WHAT S/N IS YOUR CAR? I HAVE A 347 470HP AND MY STARTER SPINS UP GREAT. I HAVE CAV 186.
DID YOUR STARTER MOTOR GET WATER IN IT? THEY ARE NOT SEALED TO THE TRANSAXLE ADAPTER AND WATER GETS INTO THE SOLENOID .. THE STARTER IS MOUNTED UPSIDE DOWN, SO THE DRAIN HOLE IN THE STARTER IS AT THE TOP.
I REPLACED THE SOLENOID ON MY CAR AND THE REPLACEMENT WAS DEFECTIVE . IT CAUSED POOR CRANKING.
WORSE CASE, A GOOD STARTER SHOP CAN TURN YOU STARTER INTO A HIGH TORQUE STARTER.
I COULD NOT FIND A REPLACEMENT STARTER FOR MINE.. CHECK YOUR GROUND CABLE. IT GOES INTO YOU CHASSIS TO A BOLT, THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BOLT HAS ANOTHER GROUND CABLE THE GOES TO THE MOTOR. MY BOLT WAS A LITTLE LOOSE.
WALT

Pat

Supporter
To Walt's point, you need to 200% make sure the battery is grounded bare metal to metal to the engine block, not an accessory like the ALT bracket but the block itself or with a pigtail that goes to the body, body and frame, engine and body/frame etc. I initially had issues until a mechanic told me my engine needed a battery at least 800 Cold Cranking Amps and at least an 100A Alternator. I added both and the problem has gone away. If you want to get a new starter, they are available in the UK at Racemettle LTD. I bought one from them and haven't used it as after the fixes listed above, the original works fine. They specifically offer one for the Ford GT40 V8 with Audi Getrag gearbox (RAC 938) but offer a variety of others. http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk

Hi Walt I brought the car second hand so the Ford V6 starter has always been on it. The problem i have is that all the UK american parts suppliers say they dont have any starter to work with my flywheel which is 131 teeth due to the audi box. My ground is good so to me it seems that my current starter after some usage seems to just click i think it may just get overworked or too hot. Not from the engine as its wrapped in a heat shroud but possible current draw ?. Kev

To Walt's point, you need to 200% make sure the battery is grounded bare metal to metal to the engine block, not an accessory like the ALT bracket but the block itself or with a pigtail that goes to the body, body and frame, engine and body/frame etc. I initially had issues until a mechanic told me my engine needed a battery at least 800 Cold Cranking Amps and at least an 100A Alternator. I added both and the problem has gone away. If you want to get a new starter, they are available in the UK at Racemettle LTD. I bought one from them and haven't used it as after the fixes listed above, the original works fine. They specifically offer one for the Ford GT40 V8 with Audi Getrag gearbox (RAC 938) but offer a variety of others. http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk

HI Pat great advice my battery is new and over 800 cold cranking earth is great and bespoke for 6 months after replacing the starter motor its worked fine its just started playing around again now. Thanks re Racemettle i will try them now Kev

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Should this not be a Ford flywheel and starter? I think it will have 157 teeth. Just a thought, I don't know Audi or any of the British part applications.

Kevin, this is also on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-CAPRI...GH-TORQUE-UPRATED-STARTER-MOTOR-/282280747534
FYI, Ford V6 flywheel used was the Essex V6, not the Cologne V6, as used in 3 litre engine cars like early Capris and early Granadas I'd also check with Burton Power as I've had good experiences with them as well. www.burtonpower.com

Spot on Pat thats another option thanks ever so much to be fair when i have checked of course i dont know if whoever fitted the V6 starter originally is actually correct as my data shows that the essex flywheel was only 121 teeth yet my Audi one is 131. Is that part of the problem anyway i wonder?

Pat

Supporter
Kevin, My ring gear has 121 and that's also what's listed for the Essex. So you may have a different flywheel/clutch. That said, if your starter engages easily and spins the motor up when fresh without any unpleasant gear noises, I'd be surprised if your ring gear was the problem.

..my worry is this current unit is not man enough for the job as this second unit (which was overhauled) after 6 months is showing the same symptoms just a clicking solenoid. No battery issues wiring etc this is exactly the same as the previous unit. R

Kevin, I have exactly the same issue as you. Can you comment on which starter you ended up buying? And your experience if you have?

Hi Jasper the guys at Racetorations provided one they were superb. Send them a picture of your current unit and pinion as they supplied one with additional teeth for me with a slightly different angle. it works superb Tel 01427 616565 www. racetorations.co.uk Kev

Thanks Kevin. No more issues since you replaced it? do you know which type they supplied (i.e. serialnr etc, so I can refer to it)

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I've got an audi to sbf flywheel on a shelf, Will count the teeth on that and the starter that came with when back in Blighty in a few days.

Back