Chassis Drawings/Blueprints

Hey Adam - how did you get the dimensions for modelling the windscreen? Is it pretty accurate? I'm asking because I was hoping we could work something out where we could share solid models (I'm using SolidWorks so they would have to be a neutral format). I am just starting design and although it is not a GT40, we may be able to share other common parts, at least as a starting point.

I am trying to figure out what windscreen to use. I might use an old RX7 piece because it has a nice curve to it, but I figured maybe I should just go ahead and a GT40 one.

I completely understand if you have reservations toward giving out something you took the time to do yourself, I just don't know where to look for accurate dimensions on windscreens.

*EDIT* Oops - just skimmed through some of the older posts (which I did read, but it was a while back) and it looks like you have access to a GT40 and used cardboard templates to measure a windscreen?

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
My windshield is not 100% correct yet. You can see here how it doesn't match the roof in the upper corners.

Attachments

• 55747-chassis_2005-03-28.jpg
    55747-chassis_2005-03-28.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 6,214
I'm drawing my own plans up at the moment. Im doing it the old fasioned way with paper and pencil. Im scalling of photographic reference for some rough key dimentions and reference poins/junctions. I am also making a plan of the sheeting layout with folds, spotweld lips, etc detailed. Next, my plan is to set up a jig of suspension pickup points/geometry and engine/box mounts with body mounted in position and then use that setup to finalise the monocoque design in situe. For reference of chassis construction, have a look at www.racingicons.com and have a flick thru all the sections... Really usefull!!!

I hope this helps if your a bit old fasioned like me. If its good enough for JW, its good enough for me...

does any one have the front suspension specs yet? I have everything but the front due to odd angle of the front suspension to maximize foot space...the cad drawings are outstanding..Later Luke

I am shocked with all this info on gt40 and on this big board.....there are no gt40 blue prints for sale?????inconceivable!!

well, I have slowly arrived at this conclusion- one can quite ezly steel the body and make it identical. Problem; after that, just like me and everyone else, examine all the facts and shoot from the hip- a chassis that will fit under the body.....and be as close as possible with all known facts.
That's why there are so many veriations, right??........cause the numbers are locked in a vault some where

Bloody H***! I started this thread over two years ago and just discovered that it's had over 15000 views and 66 replies.

Sorry to all who tried to contact me and got no reply. Not long after I posted this thread, I ended up heading out to the Gulf for the first of three tours out there. Between that and getting married, I ended up forgetting about the forum for some time.

Anyway, I have not yet purchased a set of plans from Dave Brown. It is now my plan B. My intent is to produce a copy of 1074/75 which are somewhat different from standard GT40's due to being rebuilt Mirages.
Therefore, to spend a few grand on drawings that I'm then going to extensively modify probably wouldn't go down very well with my other half.

My plan A is now to continue with my slow hand produced product. Once a bit further on with the drawings, I intend to build a wood/mdf/fibreglass mock-up. The intent with it will be to use this to build a simple tub/suspension jig.

Having done a bit of email chat with Andy Sheldon at Tornado, he can provide a set of body panels as/when I get a chassis together. He produces Gulf arches as well so I can hopefully produce a pretty close copy to 1074.

As I don't want to get blamed for the worst attempt at a monocoque in history, I'll wait until I've produces something decent before handing anything on.

If anyone gets a laser scanner near the Rose Safir ultra-lightweight chassis (third to last built?) then I may be persuaded to change my plan again. At 1800lbs, I reckon you could take a GT40 to Le Mans now and be competitive. Just an idea.

Anyway, I'm now paying attention again and I'm very impressed by some of the stuff produced by some of the guys posting on this thread. Much more advanced work than mine. I've not touched CAD since University, I guess it's time to get back to it.

Chassis Dimensions

:pepper: Very good day you have, my name is José Alejandro Mansutti, I’m writing you from Venezuela, I had approximately 20 years restoring a GT 40 with my Father, but has it been almost impossible to get Dimensions of the Original Chassis and I wish get some drawings or dimensions like those that it has shown in it page, if has some cost? What is their cost? I have several time paralyzed for not getting the dimensions of the chassis Monocoque, if you need some information we had restored a mustang shellby, shellby cobra, Alfa Romeo Montreal, Jaguar and a Corvette’s 58 and 77 Stingray, if you are interested I can help you with a FEA simulation, I manage the ANSYS 10.0, to get stress simulation, fatigue, modal analysis, etc.

Very grateful for your attention

Ing. Jose Alejandro Mansutti G
[email protected]
mrwilliams said:
Hi Joe

Had to take a few months to do some unexpected and urgent "proper job" stuff but we are back now into the GT40 drawings. So far back to the front bulkhead with some dimensions to be corrected and the suspension points in the right place and looking good - post maybe attached.

Idea is still to make the component drawings freely available.

Looking forward to some real progress over the next month or so. BTW, both inches, millimetres and the American mil work for me - cm is for European housebuilders - not us old kiwi engineers.

Frank

Chassis Dimensions

Very good day you have, my name is José Alejandro Mansutti, I’m writing you from Venezuela, I had approximately 20 years restoring a GT 40 with my Father, but has it been almost impossible to get Dimensions of the Original Chassis and I wish get some drawings or dimensions like those that it has shown in it page, if has some cost? What is their cost? I have several time paralyzed for not getting the dimensions of the chassis Monocoque, if you need some information we had restored a mustang shellby, shellby cobra, Alfa Romeo Montreal, Jaguar and a Corvette’s 58 and 77 Stingray, if you are interested I can help you with a FEA simulation, I manage the ANSYS 10.0, to get stress simulation, fatigue, modal analysis, etc.

Very grateful for your attention

Ing. Jose Alejandro Mansutti G
[email protected]

christian.39 said:
My windshield is not 100% correct yet. You can see here how it doesn't match the roof in the upper corners.

Hi Adam,

Nice work on those 3D renderings.
I'm designing a custom bodywork for a car and I'm wondering if you could provide me with GT40 windscreen dimensions.

I hope you can help me.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Geoff

Hi there guys, nice work i have to say, i am currently modelling a replica GT40 chassis and bodywork. I was wondering if one of you guys can get in contact with me with some blueprints if you have any. I also noticed you have a model of an original GT40 engine. Is it possible i could get a model of that engine? If i did post any pictures full condolances will be given. My email is [email protected].
The model is being done in AutoCAD with assemblies created in Solidworks. Many thanks,
Adam.

are you making the sheet metal as well or just the cad,
some one asked what tooling is required? I have two on the go to about the stage of your cad model and only used basic tools in a workshop at home will post a pix if I can work out how!

this is now out of date, I made a cnc profile cutter and used dxf files to cut most of the metal, but you can use tin snips as well

Attachments

• 2006_0425family0074.JPG
    2006_0425family0074.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 4,957
Hey there!
Wow your creation looks sexy as far as chassis go! hah. Looks like you've put in alot of time and labour to get where you are now, congrats on what u've done so far.
I was wondering if it was possible for you to give me some measurements of the front suspension pickup points if u may!
Cheers

GT 40 blueprints

stanton said:
I am shocked with all this info on gt40 and on this big board.....there are no gt40 blue prints for sale?????inconceivable!!

Hi,

I'm new to this site and also looking for blue prints. Well I have found a supplier, but could probebly but the chassis for the same cost after converting to my local currency.

Go to www.racefabinc.com They have all the blue prints you could ask for but cost around $2800.00 US. I convert that by 7.38 and could go buy a compete chassis. Now I sound cheap but who cares.

Re: GT 40 blueprints

James W Sleigh said:
Hi,

I'm new to this site and also looking for blue prints. Well I have found a supplier, but could probebly but the chassis for the same cost after converting to my local currency.

Go to www.racefabinc.com They have all the blue prints you could ask for but cost around $2800.00 US. I convert that by 7.38 and could go buy a compete chassis. Now I sound cheap but who cares.

I would suggest that you rethink using Racefab for ANY thing, I have heard many bad things about them and I had had my OWN bad experiences with them as well

hey i have so 3d cad files that are tube frames i have disance in them if any one needs them

i need a windshield file pls

heyi can get ya a Polygonal DXF file it has no serface it looks good but you can slice it i have to use VX cad to slice it up for my GT90

hey stew
no further postings??!! it seemed to be a very interesting topic earlier in the forum about 18 months ago everyone was interested in chassis blueprints?!? i ordered a set and am anxiously awaiting arrival!!!!!!!! have you received anything yet? i've revived my old sheet metal buddies and we're putting a shop together!! i have one problem-------- they want to build airplanes-- guess i'll be the only one building a car(mabye i can convince them it can really fly!?!?! well it can can't it??!!) the things we have to do to follow our dreams!!!! oh if anyone is interested i have "ZF" transmission manuals on CD and i believe the parts are across the counter available!! if there is any interest to have an original tranny! well keep us posted with your progress!!!!

Where can one order a set of blue prints

Back