Combined aircon/heater unit

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
In the sysem for the Sabre, we bought the Super Space Saver from Vinatge Air and then cut it apart and used the components. The small heater/AC combined core is pretty compact. The compact squirel cage fan also lends itself well for use in a '40. I used the demister control (flapper valve) for the control of my outside air that comes from the small NACA ducts on the nose. (The two demister vents and the two eyeball vents are fed air when ever the fan is on. Each vent can be close off individually if desired.) A vacuum dashpot opens/closes the fresh air valve under the control of a solenoid valve with its own switch on the console. The outside air is directed towards the intake for the fan, but not positively connected to it, so that it can be used alone or in conjunction with the AC/heat. They had a vacuum controled heater valve (either on or off), but have now added a thermostaically (and I assume variable) controlled heater valve to their product line now.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Frank

He does some good stuff but the ones from USA are working out at about 1/2 price of that from the UK

Ian

Ian,
are they the same dimensions because I also need a heater/airco unit
but i've got a kva and not so much space under the dash/front

and the unit they deliver is pretty small that i know of

frank

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Frank
You mean this stuff
http://www.nfauto.co.uk/acheat.htm

I believe it is the same unit sold in the States and their $ price is about the same as the £ price
Also re read the ad the kit dos not include the compressor or condensing radiator or high pressure hose.

I'm sure others can confirm part numbers of their kits and unit sizes.

cheers
Ian

Ian/Frank/Simon,
Looking at the NF Auto kit, it appears the same as the one I got from Nostalgic. Apart from the Nostalgic is a Vacuum unit not manual switch, as I have seen in the past from NF. Also, with current exchange it costs a lot less. I'll try and take some pics later.

Brett

Here you go. The size is 16"x10.5"x5" (approx). If you go to Nostalgic, phone Jon up to speak to him, he will give you abetter shipping quote personally than the website will give you.

Bret

Attachments

• Airconsize1.jpg
    Airconsize1.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 906
  • Airconsize2.jpg
    Airconsize2.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 837
Simon - I have built and run a GTD for some years - I promise you the heater will never be used! Even in Winter the A/C is a blessing
Peter

Hi Peter,

I must beg to differ. At the end of 2005 I drove my last GTD on a 500 mile round trip to devon in November. I drove at night in freezing temperatures (and freezing fog) I could not have done it without the heating on full blast all the way there and back. Now aircon....that's something I couldn't live without!

Simon

Simon - I stand corrected!
I ran mine mostly in France (South) and also 1 years in Florida (on UK plates). biggest problem was always trying to get rid on the cockpit heat.
Peter

Spoke to Jon from vintage air. He does a complete system that suits '40's for $850 (plus shipping) That includes everything apart from the heater hoses, a drive belt and the gas.

Simon

ps, shipping to the UK is Da*n expensive!

Back