Coyote Fuel System

The more I read, the more confused I get.

There are so many discussions about fuel systems; in line pumps, in tank pumps, high volume pumps, low volume pumps, regulators, return systems, non return systems, swirl tanks, no swirl tanks, 6 port selector valves...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Can someone share with me a diagram that I can use to get fuel to my 2015 Ford Coyote in my GT40? I have the standard duel fuel tanks and because I am going to use the ford engine contrail pack, I will be using a return system.

Outside of a return system, I have made no other decisions. I can use an in tank pump or any configuration I want, I am just confused on which way to go.

So does anyone have a diagram or can anyone draw up a simple plan for me to use in my 40?

My engine is a Gen 2 with bundle of snakes headers and the stock throttle body so I have to assume I’ll be making between 435 and 450+ hp. My plan is to track this car, at this point I’m not going to make it street legal.

I don’t want to do the wrong thing, I just want it to work and be fairly simple to build.

Any thoughts or help???

Thanks in advance, I thought this would be easy.

Doing more research I found this. I need to use a return system so this is what is recommended.

Two questions, 1) how would this work with two tanks and 2) what regular would you use?

Any insight would be helpful.

Attachments

• 8AECE3CC-1BFD-4AC1-817F-982EFA03FCBA.jpeg
    8AECE3CC-1BFD-4AC1-817F-982EFA03FCBA.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 514
I guess I could use two pumps (one in each tank), two filters, two regulators and just use Y connectors to match the fuel tanks?

Thoughts on that?

What I did was this,its been going 9 years with no issues.
I made the tank on the drivers side shorter, I have a small tank behind this tank that holds about 15 litres.
Each tank has trap doors to stop the fuel moving towards the front under brakes.
The main tanks have a fuel pump submerged ,small EFI pumps.
They pump to the small 15 lt surge tank, this has a 500hp walbro submerged pump.
The reg is mounted at this tank on the surge tank and the excess is pumped back into the surge tank , I have a spill line at the top of the surge tank and that spills back to the main tank in front of it.
Fuel is hot when it returns to the tank if sent to the engine, if returned early as I did you keep the fuel cool.
I have a 19mm hose linking the 2 main tanks and it evens the level out.
I only have a level sensor on one side.
I did it this way because it it is less complicated and to be honest it works fine , I track the car with no issue.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

My tanks are already made and they don’t have doors, but your system may still work.

Any chance you could draw what you did and post a picture of it?

Hi Steve,
I had one of the original Ford GT40 Mk2's, vin1012. The system on that was 1- Use a cross over line between the tanks to level them out. 2- Internal surge tanks on both tanks to prevent starvation. 3-pumps/filters on each tank to single regulator. 4- Bypass/return lines to either tank, they will self level with the crossover line. This worked fine with the 427 motor using (believe it or not) 4 weber carbs at 8000 RPM. I like your choice of engines. I'm going to use a Coyote my SL-C. Twin turbo and maybe go to the Voodoo version with the flat plane crank. About 750HP in street tune and 1300HP if I get STUPID.
Good Luck, Don Davis

Hi Steve,
I had one of the original Ford GT40 Mk2's, vin1012. The system on that was 1- Use a cross over line between the tanks to level them out. 2- Internal surge tanks on both tanks to prevent starvation. 3-pumps/filters on each tank to single regulator. 4- Bypass/return lines to either tank, they will self level with the crossover line. This worked fine with the 427 motor using (believe it or not) 4 weber carbs at 8000 RPM. I like your choice of engines. I'm going to use a Coyote my SL-C. Twin turbo and maybe go to the Voodoo version with the flat plane crank. About 750HP in street tune and 1300HP if I get STUPID.
Good Luck, Don Davis

Thanks Don, must have been so cool owing an original MKII. I’m a huge fan of the aggressive stance. I’ll take a look at your suggestions. A crossover line may work well but I’m a little confused as to the mounting. I assume you’d have to tap the tanks low in the valley of the tank to make sure the gravity levels the tanks right?

1300hp...NICE!!!

Hi Steve,
Yes, mount the line low and use a small line. You only want to use it for leveling purposes not for fuel transfer during filling. A line large enough to do that would dump too much fuel in one tank during a hard corner. :( Yes it was fun owning the Mk2. A guy named Geraud Lopez owns the car now and he lives in Luxembourg. He also owns the Team Lotus F1, so the car has a nice home and he is a very good driver. They campaign the car through out europe and sometimes back here.
Don Davis

Geraudkkkkkkk

There should be a crossover line between the 2 tanks in the design per chris unless that is something he is doing now. Then use an intank pump assembly like the unit you have picked out. Several companies like Holley, Fitech etc have them that are internally regulated. If you buy this type no return line is required. This is how i plan to do it. Then there is only 1 pump and 1 fuel line.

mark

There should be a crossover line between the 2 tanks in the design per chris unless that is something he is doing now. Then use an intank pump assembly like the unit you have picked out. Several companies like Holley, Fitech etc have them that are internally regulated. If you buy this type no return line is required. This is how i plan to do it. Then there is only 1 pump and 1 fuel line.

mark
Thanks Mark.

Everything I read when using a new Engine Control Pack, says that you need a return line.

Maybe I’m just over thinking this.

Normally you would however if you buy the fuel pump system with it built in then you are all set. The coyote requires 55 psi I think. I have seen the pump kits availayin 58 and 60 psi. Either will work. More than likely you will need a custom tune anyway with your intake setup. So fuel can be adjusted then

Mark

I was looking at the fitech also.

So an internal pump, in-line filter and no return?

That should do it?

Then all I’ll need is a crossover line.

Does that make sense?

I would get a fuel filter. The unit has a sock on the bottom but would add a filter after the pump Incase something happens to the pump it would send trash into the engine if you didn’t have one there.

Summit sells efi fuel filters that are 6an in and out to match the pump. Then they have the fitting that will attach to the ford fuel rail if needed.

Mark

I was looking at the fitech also.

So an internal pump, in-line filter and no return?

That should do it?

Then all I’ll need is a crossover line.

Does that make sense?

should be all you need. Is there a cross over line installed on the tanks? Should be on the inside near the bottom right across from each other.

mark

Back