Daniel's S85 build thread

Scuderia Z !
You think he'd build cars for free, just 'cause he gets to drive them around his private test track before the owner does.

Sounds COOL Daniel, congratulations.

PS Allan, I have serious shop envy.

Daniel, After reading through your build pages, all I can say is WOW...!

This is an amazing build, and I love the choice of going with the BMW S85. I sure haven't seen this before.

Congrats on what appears will be a superbly managed and executed project.

Mike

Sounds fantastic. Was that with the 3rd pipe valve opened or closed? What are your plans for the interior? Alcantara dash?

I'm glad to say I'm very happy I decided to go with the S85 V10 engine. The exhaust note produced by this V10 is just exhilarating! My initial plan was to use the 2jz (Toyota Supra Engine). Being familiar with the 2jz having previously owned a high hp Supra I decided the engine would be a bit too much and wouldn't produce the exhaust note to match the elegant design of the SLC. I then considered using the LS3 to simplify the build. After about 2 weeks of going back and forth between the 2jz and the LS3, I had a very good friend of mine say " Hey why not just put the V10 BMW engine in it?" It sounds amazing and would look very nice behind the rear glass.... and folks that's how the idea started. After several weeks of planning and taking measurements I knew what I had to do. My mind was set! My SLC had to have a BMW V10 engine in it. There were a lot of sleepless nights I spent trying to figure out how I was going to get this or that to work. Having access to BMW electrical schematics, training manuals, repair instructions and component design functions I knew it could be done.

Thank you Mesa, Michael and Josh. In the video of Allan going over the components the electronic cutout valve was closed. The interior will mainly be carbon fiber w/ soft feel paint. Later on down the road maybe once winter is upon us again I may add Alcantara and when I take the interior back apart to do the BMW F80 infotainment install.

If I had unlimited funds and resources.. This would have been my first choice

Here are some older pictures I forgot to upload

I had a local Powder Coater Media blast and Powder coat my springs and calipers:

Factory wheels studs removed and ARP installed

Front shocks w/ lift kit and helper springs installed

Here are some more updates
Here are the factory headers coated and 4" v-band welded on. (Beautiful header being a factory part

Exhaust mocked up and ready to be welded (qtp valve installed)

Exhaust welded

Inside of center exhaust pipe

Diffuser mock up

Bare naked

First day at Allans ready for transformation

Doors Fitted

Custom shift knob from raceseng.com for r8 shifter (translucent red core)

Body fitment (Allan's expertise)

I decided to use Lotus Elise tail lamps for my build. I ended up taking the tail lamps apart and installed LED halos for brake lamp and turn indicators. There are 3 led rings.

Allan Fitting the new tails

Tail lights are very bright !

Carbon fiber dash

Front wheel vents blended in

A-Pillars

Some more carbon fiber

Tail mounted to chassis

R8 shifter mounted

Primed and ready for Paint.. For the longest time I was debating painting the car Ferrari F40 red code 300/12 or Fire Red. What color did I go with??? You will see shortly...

According to Allan they are 119mm. Considering installing them? There is a write up on how to do the led conversion on the lotus forum somewhere.

Heres a sneak preview. Allan just finished the car and I wil be getting it next weekend. More pictures to follow once it arrives :shocked:

So today I had the opportunity to go to RCR for a photoshoot. My car will be featured in
ReinCarNation Magazine.

Here are just a couple pictures I took before the shoot. Can't wait to see how Steves pictures turned out.
Thanks to Fran and Steve! I had a great time!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Nice! Hmmm...I see an all SL-C edition of ReinCarNation coming up - Steve's taking pics of my car this weekend.

Now for my favorite part. Designing the exhaust system that will deliver the best possible sound from this S85. Being that I live in a quite neighborhood I had to decide on the quietest possible exhaust with the option of having an electronic switch to let his beast roar when I needed it to. I decided on having Burns stainless make custom mufflers for it. I opted for custom 2.5 " cores with 3" outlet mufflers that would serviceable/repackable just be removing the body. I also wanted to install electronic or vacuum QTP electronic control valve. I then decided I would run 4" upper pipes and use reducers to bring it down to 3". *Here are a couple prototype exhaust up pipes.
Magnificent!

Question: because the exhaust system, as configured, runs such restrictive routes, did you consider flipping the engine's cylinder heads and running the exhaust pipes out the middle of the engine, in a "hot-V" configuration? (Yes, I know it costs money.) What would be the difficulties if one did this?

Thanks!

Hey Daniel,

Not sure if it's my end, the site's, or yours, but your photos have disappeared from the thread with an error message from photobucket saying to enable third party hosting.

I have a few questions about your car if you don't mind my asking. The stance looks great and I'm trying to figure out how you did it!

What is your front and rear ride height? Are you running any positive or negative rake?

Did you clearance the upper wheel well arches at all to ensure no rubbing during suspension travel? With wheels turned?

Reason I am asking is I have my car currently set st 4f/4R and my front clearance looks similar to yours, however there is a noticeably larger gap at the rear. I'm wondering if I need to look into how I've mocked the rear clam up.

Here's a pic of my front and rear clearances at 4":

0i1i0YQ.jpg

b2gRs2J.jpg

Note that wheels are currently set at 0deg camber. I plan to run 1-2deg negative camber but I wouldn't expect that to tuck the wheels in much more. I'm worried about rubbing at the front and wondering why the rear gap is so unbalanced. The manual recommends a rake which would make the rear gap even larger.

Thanks!

So I guess its been a while since Ive been on here. I checked w/ photobucket and PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images :veryangry:. Unfortunately,there is no way to edit all the posts w/ pictures and re-loading all the pictures on a different site would take forever. My only option is from this day forward to use a different third-party hosting site. Imgur seems to be the next best option.

Question: because the exhaust system, as configured, runs such restrictive routes, did you consider flipping the engine's cylinder heads and running the exhaust pipes out the middle of the engine, in a "hot-V" configuration? (Yes, I know it costs money.) What would be the difficulties if one did this?
Bassanio et Portia to answer your question. It would be near impossible to flip the heads without major redesigning of just about every component on engine. They way BMW designed this engine is really a work of art. Every component fits snugly in its place. Just about every components other than the coils is bank specific. This past weekend I had the courage to try to install the factory intake plenum. I was having a few problems with the velocity stack filters blowing out while hitting the rev limiter so I decided to install the factory plenum. After about 12 hours of modifying I was able to flip the factory plenum and get it to clear most of the components. I still have to modify the rear carbon fiber vents (needs about 2" of clearance near the inlet). I had to modify just about all the hoses, engine harness, throttle actuators rods, idle valves and underside of the plenum to get it to clear the throttle actuator rods. (at full throttle the rods would contact the bottom side of the plenum). The rear part of the roll bar has to be re-configured again. Here are a few pictures of before and after.

FgLqkFu.jpg

7AWqqxP.jpg

8sXPJgz.jpg

MteLIFe.jpg

wY2Er1g.jpg

sMQmeVA.jpg

oCx8aMI.jpg

FOJ65N8.jpg

The underside
rpt4gGg.jpg

Hey Daniel,

Not sure if it's my end, the site's, or yours, but your photos have disappeared from the thread with an error message from photobucket saying to enable third party hosting.

I have a few questions about your car if you don't mind my asking. The stance looks great and I'm trying to figure out how you did it!

What is your front and rear ride height? Are you running any positive or negative rake?

Did you clearance the upper wheel well arches at all to ensure no rubbing during suspension travel? With wheels turned?

Reason I am asking is I have my car currently set st 4f/4R and my front clearance looks similar to yours, however there is a noticeably larger gap at the rear. I'm wondering if I need to look into how I've mocked the rear clam up.

CamT to tell you the truth I have not looked into how the suspension has been setup. Allan setup the suspension himself and haven't had time to put it on the alignment rack yet. It is still on the list of things to do. I'm sure Allan would be willing give you the details on how he sets them up. If you need me to take some measurements I am more than willing to do so. I know Allan modified the body and made sure there was clearance to the front wheel arches with lift kit raised all the way up while turning. The stance is definitely perfect (reason why I haven't touched it). I was thinking about dropping the rear .5" but that may bring the skirt lower than I would like. So I will leave it as is. Also I hit some pretty nasty bumps on I75 and thankfully no rub/contact marks. :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention. I went on a few other photo shoots. Here are some shots
Us3rqsy.jpg

gtE6vNM.jpg

njlOeFl.jpg

tvqupDn.jpg

bzclBAv.jpg

oB0csDM.jpg

9ddZqvc.jpg

xGHyzhy.jpg

Green lambo is first in Michigan to have a CFI designs TT setup.
ro0IB4K.jpg

eMSlHYN.jpg

bouC8r8.jpg

r8loHpB.jpg

T2PeDXY.jpg

x1PkybM.jpg

z0E9N7A.jpg

FkdBx9o.jpg

77FUwCG.jpg

eMhZDFZ.jpg

One of my favorite rolling shots
LOKFyrX.jpg

So how goes the tuning on the standalone? Did you implement conventional knock sensors on it?

Last edited:
Back