Dan's Build

Re: Brake Line Plumbing - Newer Configuration Layout ??

That's a great upgrade! Trying to reach all those fittings behind the pedals in the foot box is tough!

Long axle - Spindle Covers for Forgestar Wheels

My rear axle spindle sticks out past the well hubs on my Forgestar wheels. Apparently this is the nature of the high performance axles we get with the car, so how did anyone else cover those up? Is there a long enough cap to cover the axle once the wheel is on? The caps I got are flat.

Attachments

• DSC01993.JPG
    DSC01993.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 675
Re: Long axle - Spindle Covers for Forgestar Wheels

My rear axle spindle sticks out past the well hubs on my Forgestar wheels. Apparently this is the nature of the high performance axles we get with the car, so how did anyone else cover those up? Is there a long enough cap to cover the axle once the wheel is on? The caps I got are flat.

Dan, I think you emailed once about this and without a picture..... well, your axle end bolts definitely are longer than mine. My caps easily fit on the wheels and are flat/flush. Hmmm...1st time I've seen & heard this on the forum. Sorry this doesn't help much.

Not sure why I seem to get these strange issues. :huh:

I guess I will have to search for or fab a cover. Hard to believe I am the first or only one with this.

I also have to run a thread test to ensure sufficient thread is engaging the lug nuts.....just looks short to me visually. Like Rosanna, Rosanna Dana used to say, it's always something.......lol

If I could find the right machine shop, I guess I could.....slim pickens around here.

Wonder if anyone else has this axle set?

I see forgestar has raised center caps. I plan to contact them to see how deep they are which may be the solution for anyone with this wheel set without having to machine the axle.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter

You are definitely on the right track to ask the questions.....Like the old saying: "If something doesn't look right, it probably isn't!" The lug nut thread issue is even more important.
Sorry I can't help you, as I am building an LMP-1 and have not dealt with an SLC, but I agree you need to research these issues. Machining the spindle would allow you to fit a cover, but why?....what is unique about your car that no one else has encountered?

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter

Looks like your question was answered before I hit "send." Watching Sunday Night Football!

I hope it's just an optical illusion on the lugs....but I will check it more closely.

Nothing unique on my order, just plan Jane stuff. My build is good old street car so aesthetics is more critical in my plan than race configuration.

Enjoy the game.

Dan,

The wheel-stud solution that many of us have employed is to press in a set of extra long ARP wheel studs. You can then use tall open end wheel lug nuts.

Doc

To accommodate the motif of the car, I think I have a solution on both accounts. The wheel manufacturer has 20MM deep well caps, which based on my rough measure may just barely fit. As for the lugs, I am looking at lugs with an extended shank which should grab more thread. Conventional wisdom (aka internet) seems to indicate at least as much thread as the bolt diameter (my wheel hub combo is right at the min). I would feel better with a few more threads grabbing.

If that fails then press it will be.

What is the key to figuring out the Knurl that is needed?

The ARP knurl is correct. No part number handy, but they are GM metric 12x1.5mm studs.
A couple of lengths are available.

Back