Dan's Build

Re: Long axle - Spindle Covers for Forgestar Wheels

Here is an alternative solution to the now longer wheel hub:

1. 1st picture: The issue I found with the Forgestar Wheel is the axle sticks out past the wheel hub.

2. 2nd picture: Compare the flat Forgestar cap to the deep well Forgestar, it covers that extended hub $30.00

3. 3rd picture: Lug nut length: As mentioned the prevailing wisdom on how many threads is the MINIMUM to grab with a lug nut was as many as the diameter of the stud (about 5.5 for the 12 x 1.5 stud we have). Without replacing the studs, I discovered that extended lugs gave me an additional 4 threads beyond the lugs provided....that's nearly 63% more thread for only $24.00. These lugs are closed end and they work fine. Gorilla/Summit have both the acorn style and the slim fit you see in the picture.

Happy hunting

Attachments

• DSC01993.JPG
    DSC01993.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC02068.JPG
    DSC02068.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC02034.JPG
    DSC02034.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 443
Re: Steering Column - Oldsmobile 26074674

I bought the NRG quick release instead. It also has the advantage of only locking into position in one orientation. If you park and remove the steering wheel with wheels turned, with the supplied quick release it would be difficult to find the correct orientation when putting the wheel back on. Another advantage of the NRG is it attaches without any drilling or welding. Disadvantage, as always....price.

If you choose to go with the NRG, don't buy the same one as discussed in earlier posts. Due to the updated steering column, it won't fit. Ask me how I know ;)

A.J.

Save yourself a lot of hassle, and simply trim off the excess axle spindle with an abrasive cutoff wheel.

It's 10 minute job.

I used to work for a tire shop many years ago, and they used a minimum of 4-5 threads. For a car like the SLC though, I would go atleast the width of the stud as your minimum thread engagement.

Scott

I failed to mention I went from the minimum 5 to 6 to over 9 threads. So I was ok, but wanted more grip. The extended lugs gave it to me....:thumbsup:

Mark B.

Supporter

I bought the NRG quick release instead. It also has the advantage of only locking into position in one orientation. If you park and remove the steering wheel with wheels turned, with the supplied quick release it would be difficult to find the correct orientation when putting the wheel back on. Another advantage of the NRG is it attaches without any drilling or welding. Disadvantage, as always....price.

If you choose to go with the NRG, don't buy the same one as discussed in earlier posts. Due to the updated steering column, it won't fit. Ask me how I know ;)

A.J.

Ditto! The correct NRG part number for the Olds rack is SRK-170H

Michael Fling

Supporter

I would highly recommend the NRG. You also have a horn button on the wheel.:2thumbsup:

Is there a larger fuel tank now?

Gents

In following the many fuel system installs, I see many of you managed to fit your fuel system into the space next to the fuel tank. In looking at the pictures on some of the more mature builds, sure seems those tanks are smaller (seems like mine is 6 inches longer). Take a look at the picture of my swirl pot sitting in the available space next to the tank (I have 7 inches of space). With two pumps, two filters, shutoff valve, regulator and swirl pot or no swirl pot, Houdini would struggle to get it in there all nice and tidy.

So if (picture 2 cardboard), we added additional real-estate via some plate and allowed for the cooling tubing etc. Apparently ISIS prefers for the battery in that spot as well, but I see no way. What issue or trouble will we run into that we haven't thought of yet? :huh:

Attachments

• DSC02078.JPG
    DSC02078.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC02079.JPG
    DSC02079.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 481
Re: Is there a larger fuel tank now?

Dan
Several of us have extended the "floor" to the end of the rear clip, making an "H" shape,
cutting out under the engine. Vertical panels can also be easily added. Large spaces to hang stuff.

Michael Fling

Supporter

For serviceability, I would recommend putting as much of that on vertical plates outside that area. I believe Fran now offers that as an option?

Ken

Do you have a convenient picture of your area. I would have sworn my area looked smaller. What brand pumps did you use, maybe mine are just BIG (Aeromotive). I haven't finished your build log yet, but ...what I would give to incorporate some of your build ideas.......:idea:

Ken Roberts

Supporter

Here is a picture I just took for you Dan. The top of the tank was cut down so that I would have a larger flat area to mount the 2002 Camaro fuel module. A Walbro 255 pump is mounted in the module. I am using the stock GM fuel level sensor as well. I even built my own nylon stock type of fuel lines. Using a modern type of fuel module eliminates the need for a surge tank.

The next RCR car I build (GT-R) will be using the CTS V module which incorporates two fuel pumps in the module and is PWM controlled for a long service life. The engine being built currently for that project is a LS9.

Last edited:

Ken

I had forgotten you went internal fuel pumps....I'm not that skilled so I am staying outside the tank. Still reading your build log.....incredible stuff.

Thanks

Ken Roberts

Supporter

There are a couple of great surge tanks available that incorporate the second pump in the surge tank itself to save on fuel line plumbing and real estate use.

I recommend that you soap/pressure check the tank for leaks before use. A couple of us have found small leaks at the welds.

Yes, plan to leak check. Still assessing the fit of stuff before I start mounting. Just finished your build log.....pulled a lot of good info. :thumbsup:

To your original question, the fuel tank has been improved over the years. The current tank, which you have, is 19.2 gallons, by my calculations. It is indeed a bit longer than the original tank, and the shape has changed slightly as well.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Here's a picture of a early version. Clearly less length. I cut the top off and re welded flat to allow of fill plate, outlet and sender. This one measured is 14.5 US gals.

Attachments

• HPIM0994.jpg
    HPIM0994.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 528

That's a lot of extra space. I would have preferred a stealth internal pump system, but just don't have access to reasonable aluminum fabricators. That looks impressive. Thanks

there's enough room I have my swirl pot, two pumps, two filters and about 20 Aero motive fittings and hose in there. just takes a lot of planning.

Back