Dan's Build

Re: Emergency Brake Bracket Mounting

Does anyone know...

Is there an updated bracket to account for the milling? Don't want to crack the suspension upright with too little to grip.

Looks like the bracket needs to be longer to engage solid areas of the suspension.

Last edited:

We don't make the bracket it comes from the brake caliper supplier
I will follow up with them next week as they may have shipped us early brackets

Mark B.

Supporter

Hi Dan,

Mine is exactly the same as yours. I ended up making a 1/8 spacer to allow the bracket to move inboard a little, but the bracket bolts still came through the milled area slightly. There's also some adjustment to the parking brake caliper to move that helps it slide over a small amount.

Here's a pic of the spacer / placement I went with. I can't find a pic showing where the bolts came through because the rotors/calipers are all torqued down at the moment. Overall I wasn't worried about it since there's a lot of thread engagement on the bolts.

Attachments

• WP_20140803_004.jpg
    WP_20140803_004.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 490
Roll Cage not Centered - A Problem?

Gents

Went to mount the roll cage today and found it is not centered. The back and the two "roof" bars are OK. The front arch was welded 3/4 of an inch off center left to right. The bottoms of the two arch tubes measure 9 inches, and the other 9.75 inches to the edge of the frame rails.

To get a good install on the main body and subsequent interior parts, where is this going to create problems? Is this enough out of tolerance it needs to be fixed?

I used a plumb bob from the center of the two "roof" roll bars to the edge of the tee square as shown to validate the rear and over head is square. The only item left was the union of the arch to the roof roll bars.....it is not centered.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC02124.JPG
    DSC02124.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 520
Re: Roll Cage not Centered - A Problem?

Dan

The cage is not actually off by 3/4 " only 3/8 off using your dimensions as its 50/50 split...and this is not unacceptable at all.

There is plenty of room to scoot the roll cage around, loosen all the bolts and position the front feet of the cage where you feel you like the fit...you will find it centers quite nicely and easily...

If you take the time to look at the scenario you will find it fits and the clearance is just fine...

I'm a pilot, we like symmetry.....:wings:

With a push, I can get it much closer.....life is good.

Thanks

Last edited:

I'm a pilot, we like symmetry.....:wings:

With a push, I can get it much closer.....life is good.

Thanks

Fran races one of them sidecar thingies, symmetry does not equate in that arena, If he was a pilot he would probably choose Bert Rutans Boomerang:)

Fran

Did RCR have any success with the E-brake supplier? Is there an updated bracket to support the hub mounting with milled surfaces.
rockonsmile

You saw the NOS spare engine Mike, and yes I do.

She's currently on display at the MAPS museum in Ohio.

Day 73. Taking more time to get stuff than I expected, so progress slower than I want.

1. After two prototypes, a final fan shroud was completed.
2. New brackets were made for the air-conditioning condenser as the OEM brackets did not engage the front to my satisfaction
3. Fabricated plates to accommodate the fuel system and the battery box
4. Radiator lines mocked up in PVC getting ready for welder
5. Seat rails and seat positioning finalized for wife and myself (yes she will drive it)
6. E brake brackets have generated a lot of discussion since the improved hub supports are now milled. RCR making inquiry with supplier to determine correct bracket to mount. Current bracket does not allow complete engagement of non milled areas. Drilling on hold.
7. Tried several brands of tools to flare stainless steel brake lines. Finally spent a few bucks and bought the Eastwood Pro flare tool. Made a perfect 45 flare on the first try...a great tool. Working to finish brake line layout.
8. Trying to ensure I do not violate the space requirements for the new front sway bar design. IAW RCR, it will run on the same horizontal plane as the brake line. So here's hoping I don't mount anything that gets in the way.
9. Talking to interior designer about interior options this week.
10. Wiring and fuel system completion next. Tank pressure checked good.
11. For those still debating fuel lines, take a look at a new corrugated PTFE stainless braided line by Goodrich. It accommodates all fuels, has antistatic carbon, and a bend radios of under 2 inches for -6 size line. Very expensive but since engine and fuel system are so close, you don't need that much.

Attachments

• DSC02108.JPG
    DSC02108.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC02156.JPG
    DSC02156.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC02097.JPG
    DSC02097.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC02116.JPG
    DSC02116.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC02140.JPG
    DSC02140.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 407
Driver, footpeddles, & steering alignment. What did U do?

Gents

Want to know how you approached the steering wheel offset (wheel being right of the drivers center) and feeling one gets from the alignment of the foot peddles (did you mount them parallel to vehicle centerline or turned slightly).

Did anyone relocate (my holes were already drilled) the steering column to change the angle?

I think I read somewhere to expect the offset and that 2 degrees (again I thought I read) is the angle of the seat versus car centerline.

Just looking to see how you accounted for this. :shrug:

Re: Driver, footpeddles, & steering alignment. What did U do?

This has been covered multiple times
Just like ALL oem cars rotate the seat a couple of degrees
It's unnoticeable but is done by in almost all cars vans and trucks by oem
But you can do it anyway you want that makes you feel comfortable !!

Last edited:

Perhaps it's more pronounced with gentleman seats since the seat center is further from the cars centerline. Anyway, just playing with alignment and want to get a feel what others may have done.

:thumbsup:

Michael Fling

Supporter

Dan,

I have my steering and seat slightly angled. Before you settle on the steering column position,place your dash in the car to ensure you are not grossly out of position for it. I too have the gentleman's seat. It is set as far right as possible with slight rotation.

Back