Dan's Build

Howard Jones

Supporter
Re: Is there a larger fuel tank now?

Here's a picture of a early version. Clearly less length. I cut the top off and re welded flat to allow of fill plate, outlet and sender. This one measured is 14.5 US gals.

Attachments

• HPIM0994.jpg
    HPIM0994.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 419

Nice thing is with the swirlpot and all the associated lines you've got an extra gallon or two. I've been able to fill 15 gal with the original design, although you have burp it a bit at the top. Even when you get to 1% from the sender you can still limp it 20mi to get to a gas station.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Re: Steering Column - Oldsmobile 26074674

I just purchased a set of factory GM manuals for a 1999 Olds Intrigue. I'll post up the wiring connector pin outs and schematics for the steering column in a couple of weeks for anyone that is interested.

Here's a picture of a early version. Clearly less length. I cut the top off and re welded flat to allow of fill plate, outlet and sender. This one measured is 14.5 US gals.

Howard's tank was the inspiration for mine - large-ass sump, everything's top mounted

tank3-4.jpg

tank1-4.jpg

Gentleman

I really like the mods shown with the internal and top designs. A question, since my setup will be street/show with full fiberglass interior tub, to access any fuel system issues with a modified tank, wouldn't the main body and full interior tub have to come out. I have seen folks cut access panels in the protective panel, but the interior tub covers that. Is this assumption correct?

Gentleman

I really like the mods shown with the internal and top designs. A question, since my setup will be street/show with full fiberglass interior tub, to access any fuel system issues with a modified tank, wouldn't the main body and full interior tub have to come out. I have seen folks cut access panels in the protective panel, but the interior tub covers that. Is this assumption correct?

Yes, and a powerful argument to mount all the fuel-related stuff in an accessible way- i.e., somewhere else, typically in the engine compartment.

If it's somewhat of a show car, I would mount the battery up front (as a number of folks have) and the fuel components in the engine compartment behind that void next to the tank.

You sure don't want your fuel filter difficult to access.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Here's how I did my pump system. I know it is simpler than FI system but the reason I did this was to make maintenance as easy as possible. I would not bury anything in that space next to the tank behind the seats, especially something that might leak or require repair or frequent access like a battery or fuel filter.

Attachments

• HPIM1001.jpg
    HPIM1001.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 474

If I had to do it again, I would modify the fuel tank for a street SLC:
  • Add a sump area directly below the fuel sender (like Howard's tank below)
  • Modify the fuel sender flange to accept a fuel sender / internal fuel pump combo
That would make the fuel system simpler, quieter, lighter and more reliable (with only 1 pump to fail). It also frees up the space next to the tank for something else, like a tool kit.
tank3-4.jpg

If I had to do it again, I would modify the fuel tank for a street SLC:
  • Add a sump area directly below the fuel sender (like Howard's tank below)
  • Modify the fuel sender flange to accept a fuel sender / internal fuel pump combo
That would make the fuel system simpler, quieter, lighter and more reliable (with only 1 pump to fail). It also frees up the space next to the tank for something else, like a tool kit.
tank3-4.jpg

that's my tank :p
(inspired by howard's tank, haha)

Any photos if that tank in the car?
Do you have to raise the tank if you add a sump like that?

Any photos if that tank in the car?
Do you have to raise the tank if you add a sump like that?

the sump (and thus pickup) was designed to fit between the beams on the floor that the tank sits on. Tight fit, but I think it gives you 3 liters of so of fuel in the sump area.

looks like there is more than one way to skin this cat. I guess that's the beauty of a personalized project car. Certainly there are pros and cons to every great solution shared on this forum. I chuckled a bit recalling a project I had once in bringing a multitude of great solutions together to solve one issue and here I am again with some great solutions. So it's time to act and make a choice. Great discussion and some outstanding engineering as always. :thumbsup:

BTW. Is the RCR provided surge/swirl pot AN or NPT threads.....never have come up with a good way to figure that out.

Emergency Brake Bracket Mounting

Gents (could not find the answer last night on the forum/wiki)

Trying to mount the RCR e-brake brackets and discovered a problem that I just do see the best/intended mounting solution. Note in the attached picture, I have marked via tape the location of the non-milled (horizontal lines) metal on the suspension mounting point, and the pre-drilled holes edges on the RCR e-brake bracket (solid black marks).

When I align the pre-drilled hole edges within the solid metal (avoiding milled areas) to ensure a solid tap for mounting, the bracket and brake assembly are separated to an extreme, so I must be seeing this wrong. I have tried swapping, flipping, rotating etc and its not adding up. The closer I push the bracket to the edge (closer to rotor), one of the drill spots penetrates a milled area. Moving up and down the suspension will engage a non-milled area but not for both pre-drilled holes (that I can see).

To those of you that have used this RCR system, where did you drill the holes and what is the correct/intended alignment of the brackets?

Attachments

• DSC02096.JPG
    DSC02096.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 423

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Re: Emergency Brake Bracket Mounting

Here are some pictures I just took of mine. The ruler in one of the pictures shows that the bracket is mounted 3/8" down from the apex. This mounting position worked well for me.

Drill the 2 holes up to the correct size for tapping in stages (if hand drilling like I did). You will have better accuracy.

Last edited:

There is a big difference in your suspension part than mine. As you can see RCR milled some material out, but the bracket was not adjusted for the now missing material (at least I don't see how to mount it). If it were solid then no issue.

No matter where I place the bracket, I am unable to find solid material, and if I push it outboard I create a huge gap between the bracket and the brake assembly that needs a huge spacer. Does anyone know if RCR has a different bracket set for this new milled suspension configuration?

Measure twice, drill one!

Attachments

• DSC02110.JPG
    DSC02110.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 419

Ken Roberts

Supporter

Your second picture explains the "milled area". I guess they forgot about the bracket mounting position when redesigning it. Hope they have a solution.

If using the original bracket, you will most likely need to mount the bracket as in board as possible then need to add spacers between this bracket and the caliper bracket. I just measured it......move the bracket 5/16" inboard then add 5/16" spacers between brackets to bring back in alignment with rotor. Is that enough?

Last edited:
Back